A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Storing Polymer Clay-What's your method?  (Read 7647 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

VikingKnits
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2007 02:45:35 PM »

I'm sooo addicted to polyclay! Cheesy
Currently it's just lying around my desk but I'm a neat freak and desperately want to organise it and tidy it! What can I keep it in that's cheap and the colours can't contaminate each other? (I'm in the UK btw so I'm still cathing up with American terms related to sculpey and stuff  (such as brand names) Embarrassed )
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007 02:46:03 PM by VikingKnits » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting addict since Dec 07
Pretty Handmade Stitch Markers!
PolymerJanna

I'm pro-crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2007 05:34:12 PM »

I have mine in a huge plastic tub and i put the tub under my bed when it is not in use, with seperate little tubs for each color of clay. I  wrote on the top with a marker what color it was because the containers I am using arent translucent. They do the trick for me. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2007 08:27:13 PM »

VikingKnits, there are loads of ideas for storing and organizing polymer clay and the tools and stuff that are used with it on this page at my polymer clay "encyclopedia":
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/storage.htm
(that page will also tell you some materials you shouldn't use with polymer clays)

Since you're in the UK, you might want to check out the British Polymer Clay Guild website, etc., there too:
http://www.bpcg.org.uk
... they'll know all of the terminology you guys use, etc., and would be a great connection anyway (the names of the clays should be the same here as there though... except that Cernit is more easily found in Europe/UK than in the U.S, and there are a few other clays that are made in Italy/etc but don't think any are quite as good as the ones we have and you also have).

Diane B.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007 08:28:32 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
VikingKnits
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2007 04:27:35 AM »

Oh thanks for the info! I'll try and get some wee plastic tubs to put em in, they are in a large plastic tub in their wrapping at the mo.
I've had a look at the guild, it looks great! No way am I up to their standards!  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2007 06:05:03 PM »

I've had a look at the guild, it looks great! No way am I up to their standards!   

Please don't let that put you off!!  Polymer clayers (and most all clay groups) are famous for welcoming all levels --from beginners (and we all were one once!) to professionals. 
Also, you're likely seeing things made by people who've had a lot of practice at something or who just know a technique you haven't learned yet (which could be quite simple, even if it looks impressive). 

The purposes of polymer clay groups are information and technique sharing, having a community of people interested in the same thing, and just inspiring each other.  It's not about competition and who's better than who, and doesn't feel that way.

The guild also has a UK mailing list that you'd get a lot out of even if you never asked a question or wrote a reply... just reading stuff in the groups is a lot of how many people learn about polymer clay.

(And of course, there are suppliers listed at the site, and the guild has classes and demos, and probably a lending library of books and tapes, etc., etc).

Diane B.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007 06:07:38 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
VikingKnits
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2007 03:48:05 PM »

Hehe thanks Diane Cheesy I feel more confident already!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimmy ann
I Am One Happy Prick

I wanna be a singer like Lou Reed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007 06:06:23 PM »

I keep all my blocks wrapped up in their packaging inside a box that is not unlike a shoebox, which is held inside a larger plastic tub with other accessories. I do a lot of photography, so I like to also reuse plastic film canisters for bits of leftover colors that I've mixed up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I blog, therefore I am.
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2008 04:46:57 PM »

Okay, so making miniatures is something I have been fascinated with since middle school.  And I'm even pretty good at.  But when it comes to organizing, I am crap. All of my clay and tools are stuffed into a shoe box, and whenever I use it, I end up with all kinds of little clay scraps that just get tossed into a ziploc bag and eventually mash themselves in to each other.  My great idea of the day is to organize all my clay making things so that I have some sort of system and things are accessible and all my bits and peices are more or less in one place. 

So, I want you to show me how you stash and use your clay.  Whether you have a whole room dedicated to it or just a few shoeboxes like me, if you've got any sort of system at all, I would like to see it. So I can steal it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008 09:09:57 PM »

Here's my little system.  As a freeloading bum living with my parents (OK, college student saving money by going to community college for a bit Tongue) I don't have much room.  Once I get my own place, this will expand.  Believe me!

I've found that the best way to ensure that your clay will not eat its container is to look for a 5 in the little triangle.  I know some other plastics work, but most containers are made from the stuff anyway.  I really like the little "Cupettes" for storing small bits of clay and things that are really easy to lose (tiny shape cutters, especially!).

These are some plastic drawers from Jo-Ann's.  They used to be $10 (USD) but they just went up $3.  Grrr.

This is the top drawer.  It is where I keep my tools, liquid polymer, PearlEx, molds, shape cutters, and such. 

The bottom drawer contains opened clay sorted by color.  These pink boxes fit perfectly in the drawer and do not react with clay. 

I love my label maker!  I really need it, because I am a dumb person. 

Next to the drawers I have the top bit of an old storage container.  The handles broke off the bottom part and drove me nuts, so I pitched it.  And yes, those are dinosaur stickers on the lid.  Deep down I am a 5 year old boy.

It is really good for keeping clay that hasn't been opened yet.  The box inside at one point contained a chicken wrap from my college's coffee shop, and then later sloppy joes.  Yum!  It now contains a blob of Sculpey Ultralight.  I have a few dozen of these boxes.  They also do not react with clay, so yay!

I apologise for the bad pictures.  My camera has some shutter issues.  I'm also too lazy to reset the datestamp.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008 08:13:12 AM »

I had no idea clay ate its container-- yet another reason plastic is the devil, I guess (but so handy!).  I've been meaning to get some of those little round cuppy things that screw into each other and stack up.  They're on my list for pay day.  Also I was thinking of picking up a few toolboxy containers like I use to keep my beads in, but I wanted to see what everyone else is doing in case someone has better ideas.

Thanks for the pics!  I am so jealous of your tools stash! ...And your label maker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Best Haircut For Your Face Shape
How to Style Your Hair for a Heart-Shaped Face
Get a Great Hairstyle For an Oval-Shaped Face With Straight Hair
Get the Best Haircut and Style for a Square-Shaped Face
Get a Great Hairstyle For an Oval-Shaped Face With Curly Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...