A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Just learning.. a few questions  (Read 1067 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mew
« on: August 04, 2004 02:23:02 PM »

I usually knit, but decided to learn to crochet as a change, and I've had some questions I hope someone can answer.

So far I've taught myself the basic single crochet, half double and double, but especially with the double, I've realized that my odd and even rows don't lie exactly flat in relation to one another. The row I'm working on will look fine from one side in relation to the row below, but when looked at on the other side, it's obvious that it sits higher than the previous row. From the side, it's kind of like this:  -----____-----

I didn't think it was supposed to be this way, and I'd be grateful if anyone has any idea what's going on.

That, and my alternating rows tilt slightly to a side. The working row usually has a slight left tilt to it, so after a few rows it looks rather wonky, instead of straight.
I think it might be since the stitches appear to be quite tight...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dewbaby00
Check this out...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004 04:58:43 PM »

Could you possibly put a pic up of what you are talking about?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mew
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004 06:07:00 PM »

I've tried taking photos and scanning, but they just don't show what's going on very well.

Basically, when working in double crochet, alternating rows don't like flat, but are offset (vertically, if laying on a flat surface), by a very tiny amount, but enough to feel and see a slight difference in person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dewbaby00
Check this out...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004 07:32:00 PM »

Here are a couple pics of a blanket I am working on does it look anything like this?

On this blanket I am going through front loops only but I am left handed so I crochet backwards. I have found that if you go through both loops you get a smooth pattern. Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

holly holy

never hide your jersey pride

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004 05:12:36 AM »

i think i know what to do about your alternating rows tilting problem. 
when you start a new row, do you chain three and dc in the first space?  because that will do it.  the turning chain often counts as the first double crochet in the row.  if you crochet directly into the first space, it's like you're adding a stitch to your row every time.
that's usually how i go about it, at least. 
make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004 06:47:27 AM »

i agree with holly holy, that's probably what your problem is.  go back and count the stitches in each row and see if your getting a few extra stitches in there.  usually you make your last double ch 3 and then skip that last double you just made and dc in the second one.  and since that ch3 counts as a double when get back to it in your next row, you have to dc in it.  hope i made some sense. but yeah, keep a close eye on the number of stitches.

yay dewbaby00!!!!!!! another left handed crocheter!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004 07:28:43 AM »

I agree that a couple pictures of what you're having problems with would help.  I also agree that you might be accidently adding a stitch at the beginning of each row, not realizing that the turning chain (when they ask you to Chain 2, or Chain 3) counts as the FIRST STITCH in the next row.

Besides teaching, and crocheting, I do photography.  Let me give you a little help with trying to take a "doable" picture.  Firstly, I would avoid using a flash, as it will make your picture look devoid of shadowing (which is what we need to see your picture well)
1.  Lay your project down on a flat surface, like your kitchen table or desk. 

2.  Get two table or desk lamps, and if they're of equal size that would help.  Put one to the left of the project, and one to the right. 

3.  If they have shades, tilt the shades so that they face the project.  Make sure the lamps are not directly on top of the project. 

4.  Take a couple pictures...move the lamp further away (or closer if you think more light is necessary)...take a couple more pictures.

NOTE:  When you go to take the pictures, try to stand on a chair and look directly down on the project.  Try for close-ups and full length shots so we can see the overall project.

One of them is bound to work.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Quilting Can Help People in Need
How to Make a Whirlwind Flag Quilt Block
Creative Letter packaging Ideas
Wanda Wen Gift Wrapping Advice
Birthday Mini Album with Acrylic Cover
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...