A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,309
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: champagne bowls?  (Read 3397 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xx_Kellybean
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006 09:40:34 PM »

i think if you found a smaller fish, and a fish that is naturally really small, that this idea would work.  Most fish do grow as big as thier home will let them.  I've thought before about doing the whole champagne glass and stuff before but never ended up doing it.  They do sell huge martini looking glasses at places, that i think would be adorable to put a fish in it.  Either that or you could buy the really small glass bowls they have for fish and put them in that, that way it's small and you can still decorate it nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gammerus

Optimus prime owns you

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006 04:25:18 PM »

goldfish need about 10gals per fish because of how quikly they pollute the water and bettas need at least 2.5 gallons. I know some places reccomend only a quart or two but this is horrible for the fish. not only is the water going to become fouled up within days, but it is just plain mean to do that to a fish. Fish have been proven to have the same intelligence of small rodents. Like small rodents they need mental stimulation. They need things to swim around, things to do. Would you keep a mouse in a cage no larger than a can of dogfood? The wild bettas you hear about do not resemble the bettas you see in pet stores.

this is a wild betta

this is a petstore betta

These new bettas are alot more sensative to their enviroment than their wild cousins. Please people be kind to your fish and makesure your betta has atleast one gallon of room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006 05:27:34 PM »

ugh to pet stores that don't know how to properly care for creatures. no fish is 'happy' in a teeny, weeny space. that's a silly fable about bettas liking smaller spaces better, not needing their tanks/water to be cleaned, and not needing very much food. there are some great websites out there with lots of info on the proper care of fish, etc. mine are in a 40 gallon tank and even then, they're still 'prisoner fish'.

oh, i just read that other thread and it made me nauseous. creatures aren't crafts, how thoughtlessly cruel. wow.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007 09:01:06 AM by MonkeyThumb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
kitschkitty
Beading & forum addicted!

www.kitschkitty.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006 06:11:56 PM »

Unfortunately a lot of pet stores give out totally incorrect care info about all sorts of animals (often to just sell more animals or unsuitable products that people would avoid if they realised they were bad). - I've never understood why you would want to put any animal in a small environment - bigger is always better for them. I also hate it when people dont know which animals are sociable and should be kept in pairs & groups, and which prefer to live alone. poor animals.  Sad

Also with fish people dont seem to understand how they breathe - they need oxygen in their water - this comes either from the surface area (non existent in a lava lamp, and very small in a glass) or from a pump system - which needs to fit into the tank/environment.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006 06:17:12 PM by kitschkitty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you love to chat about beading come join us at www.uk-beaders.co.uk/forum.htm
Find hundreds of UK based bead suppliers and more at www.uk-beaders.co.uk

Kitty's Unique Boutique
Custom creations designed to delight   www.kitschkitty.co.uk
hotpinkpen
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006 09:45:21 PM »

I really love this idea. There are endless possibilities.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006 09:58:05 PM »

Better ideas:

Punch bowls
Oversized martini/cocktail glasses
Really big antique vases (for very small fish)

I wouldn't leave them in there for too long, either.  Get a nice happy tank for their home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
Asbjrn
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007 11:02:47 AM »

Well, if goldfish and betas are out of the question you could always have a champagne flute of sea monkeys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008 06:28:09 AM »

could you make a stylised bowl out of a standard fish bowl? like getting a glass one and adding a stem to it to look like a wine glass or add 3 wee legs and a couple of handles to look like a cauldron? polymer clay should work. That way you get something that looks cool and the fish is happy  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wedding Hair Inspiration: Vintage Updo
Best Hair Cuts For Women In Their 20s
DIY Hair Brightener For Sunkissed Locks
Simple Steps to Saving Your Hair Color This Summer
How to Create a Simple Chignon
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness
Pamper Yourself!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...