A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where can I find directions for rag quilt?  (Read 3406 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TyraTooters
« on: June 22, 2006 11:33:38 AM »

I have been looking and looking for directions on how to make a frayed edge/rag quilt for some time and can't seem to find out. I see many of them pictured on this board and I am very interested in learning to make one!

Can someone please post some directions!!??

Tyra
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecatspajamas18
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006 01:23:49 PM »

Do you know how to make a regular quilt? I think a rag quilt is just that, except you show it "wrong-side"-up, and it has to be polarfleece or cotton jersey or something that doesn't fray.

This link might help: http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/e_blossom_rag_quilt.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
le_coiffeur04
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006 02:40:43 PM »

Here is one http://www.joanns.com/content/projects/projectsDisplay.jhtml;$sessionid$CNNEGUAAAAXYGP4SY5NBHOR50LD3OEPO?articlePath=%2Fcontent%2Fprojects%2Fstatic%2Ffall04%2Fno_sew_rag_blanket.jhtml&CATID=25292

I have made this one and LOVE it. ok for an older child maybe not the best for a newborn.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_qlt/article/0,,HGTV_3876_1729220,00.html

hope those work for you. I will keep looking for a flanel one i know they are out there. good luck.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
le_coiffeur04
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006 02:43:59 PM »

ok I suck the first link didnt work but here is how you find it. go to joanns.com and at the top of the page are project ideas. you click that and then the sewing link. it will come up as just one or two projects to chose from so you have to go to more project ideas and its on that list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006 04:45:56 AM »

The directions on HGTV link were for using denim.  That looked cool.  I just scored a TON of denim at a yard sale and will have to try it.  Also, that's a great way to use old jeans.  I'll have to try this one day. 

Added to the Looooooooong list of "to do" projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
yawningyak
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006 05:11:54 PM »

Here are some instructions I typed up for my friends a few months back.  This uses material that frays (corduroy, denim, flannel, etc).  The front of this particular quilt was all corduroy, the back flannel (see pic below).  

Rag Quilt

I used 121 squares.  11 squares by 11 squares.  Its throw size, though I wish I would have made it a little longer, like maybe 11 squares by 15 squares so it could totally cover me when I'm snoozing on the couch.  

I cut each square 8" by 8"
So I cut:
121 squares of corduroy 8" x 8"
121 squares of flannel 8" x 8"
121 squares of batting 6" x 6"  (batting is cut smaller, because you don't want batting in the fringe)

Sandwich pieces together to make a block.  So from bottom to top - flannel right side down, batting centered on top (which will leave an inch around the batting), corduroy right side up.  

Stitch each block sandwich.  You can stitch diagonally corner to corner, or horizontal or vertical lines, or a design.  I just stitched 3 lines on each sandwich, in the grooves of the corduroy.  I decided I didn't want the stitch to be a focus, because I was going to alternate the direction of the corduroy, & I wanted that, & the colors, to be the pattern.  

After I had the blocks sewn, I laid out the squares & planned how I wanted the quilt to look.

Starting with the top horizontal row, start sewing blocks together, with a one inch seam allowance.  Blocks are sewn with backside (flannel) to backside (flannel) so that when it is opened up & is flat, the seams show on the front side of the quilt.  

Stitch rows together in the same manner, with the seams showing on the front side of the quilt.

Sew a one inch seam around entire outside edge of quilt.

Carefully clip all seams at 1/4 inch spacing.  Clip down to about 1/8 to 1/4 inch away from the stitching.  If you cut through your stitching, go back later & stitch over your mistake.  

Once all seams are clipped, machine wash & dry the quilt.  I did mine a couple times.  Clear your dryer's lint screen every couple minutes, because it fills up fast!

Any fabric that will ravel will work.  

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011 06:42:21 PM by alteredmommy - Reason: fixed coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006 06:39:43 PM »

I am DIGGIN the cord!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
Keek
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006 08:13:35 PM »

Hello!

I don't really have directions for you but I do have a link that might give you ideas!!!

I hope it will help!!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=43405.msg388660#msg388660
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
-Albert Einstein

www.kiki.etsy.com
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006 01:29:46 PM »

I am following yawning yaks instructions for this, and her directions are great!  I am making this for my son (1year old) for a car blanket; using all his newborn flannel blankets and burpcloths.  I'm using some of the thicker fleece baby blankets for the 'batting', which works really well.  Thanks so much for the instructions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006 02:18:19 PM »

Here is my version.
It's mostly made of my son's snuggle flannel burp cloths, and newborn recieving blankets; you know, those things that are very important for a few months, then become useless?  I recycled them!
Side one is all those, so it's baby boyish pastels:

After sewing it, I realized it was going to be WAY too big for the baby, so instead of 5 rows of 6 squares (30), it is now 4 rows of squares (20).
Also, I recycled 2 more blankets to make the 'batting'.  I used 2 cheap fleece blankets that were 'pilling' and never got used.  I cut those up and they are the PERFECT weight for batting.

Front side, all sewn:
The front is snuggle flannel. 
All the taggies right in the corner is on purpose; the kid likes to chew them.
The denimy blue is actual on it's 3rd life.  It started life as a baby pastel pink receiving blanket, for my daughter.  I dyed all of her newbie and preemie onesies, socks, and lounge pants and blankets  and sleepers that were pink and yellow to that rich denim blue.  Saved me $150-200 bucks on baby layette, plus, everything matched each other. BRILLIANT, I think.

I still need to 'fringe' it all, sew the edges and wash it, but I can NOT figure out where I put my sewing scissors.  Anyone know?

Anyway, this is a quick sew, and I do not have the patience and energy to measure/pin precisely, so this is a PERFECT project for that.
Thanks again for the instructions, this will keep the babe warm in the car on trips, and is bound to be a perfect sports event blankie too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Flower Pressing
The Art of Quilting
The Art of Pen Turning
A Lesson in Paper Cutting
How to Make Paper Cutting Art
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...