A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Am I crazy? - Latest knitting project  (Read 1372 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sandraregina

Knewbie knitter

View Profile WWW
« on: June 22, 2006 08:02:48 AM »

I started knitting in January, and its already an obsession. I've made a stuffed bunny, a shawl, a heavy neck warmer (it started out as a scarf but it was too short, so a couple of buttons transformed it), a pair of socks, a hat, several cat toys, and I'm just about done the tie I knit for my grandfather. I've mastered a variety of increases, decreases, DPNs and circulars, and I feel ready for a challenge.

Now my Oma wants me to knit her a vest. One she can zip up. And I want to try something with cabling. Well, I searched and searched online for a good pattern that a) zipped, and b) had cables, but I couldn't find anything I liked. Well, I realized I could knit a cardigan and just leave off the sleeves. Then I found this:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTsamus.html

I love, love, love the cabled edging on the bottom. I so want to knit this (not in orange, I hate orange and so does my Oma). But, having never done cabling before, am I crazy to start off with something that complex?

Any advice, encouragement, or alternate suggestions for a zippered cabled vest are welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got knitting needles, and I'm not afraid to use them.

This year I'm doing the 'Na-No' again: www.nanowrimo.org
30 days + 50,000 words + No sleep + Too much caffeine = One Novel in One Month.
rachelo
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006 10:41:28 AM »

I think you can totally knit that for your Oma!  I think knitty's tangy is their intermediate (piquante being the difficult).  I think you should totally go for it!  Keep us posted on the results (or traumas!  Wink).  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MmmKnits
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006 11:03:10 AM »

sandraregina, I made a full Samus this spring--it was my first sweater for myself, and my first project with cables that weren't super-basic (I'd done a couple of cabled hats, but nothing at all complicated).

I think you can certainly do it--just be prepared to go slowly with the cables for the first couple of repeats (until you start to "see" what's supposed to come next in the pattern), and don't be afraid to rip back (and possibly start over) if you make a mistake. Remember, cabling is just knitting the stitches in a different order--all you have to do is pay attention (and maybe cross off or write down each row as you finish it to keep track). Once you finish that cabled band, the rest is stockinette--smooth sailing!

One recommendation: If you're leaving off the sleeves, you'd want to do something to "finish" the armholes, like add the applied i-cord done around all the other edges of the sweater. I thought the applied i-cord added a really nice touch and made it look professional.

Here's mine, just in case you're interested. I also opted not to go with the orange.  Wink

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=89444.0

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sandraregina

Knewbie knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006 12:09:05 PM »

Mmmknits, I love your version!

I was thinking of doing the Applied I-Cord around the armholes, because you're right, they do need to be finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cnp71201
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006 02:34:13 PM »

Your Samus looks GREAT. I always thought it was too boxy, but the shaping you added makes this just beautiful. I also love the color, and I think the little "extra design feature" is actually neat!

To the OP: I say go for it! The best way to learn something new in knitting is to try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
knit_north
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006 07:11:59 PM »

that sweater is totally do-able
cables are great fun as well - you'll never want to do just plain stockinette!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sandraregina

Knewbie knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006 06:11:26 AM »

Well, on Saturday I went out and bought my yarn - no Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride anywhere in town, so I got some 100% Classic Merino wool from Paton's instead, lovely soft stuff in a subtly multicoloured beige called Natural Mix (http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=classicmerinowool)  that will fulfill my Oma's request for a 'neutral colour she can wear with anything'.

And then I did my swatch, cast on, and got the first row ready. Next step: cables!  Can't go back on it now. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelo
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006 08:46:33 AM »

You can do it!
Keep us posted -- I can't wait to see the finished result!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meriellyn
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006 08:47:08 AM »

You can do it! Cables aren't anywhere near as scary as they sound/look.
I'd say you're better off with your substitute yarn anyway. I find that the mohair in the Lambs Pride worsted makes frogging a bit more of a pain. I had no trouble with the bulky but I unraveled a cabled hat I made from the worsted and it put up a heck of a fight. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trisarahtop
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006 09:59:37 AM »

You'll have so much fun with the cables! They're not that hard and they're so fun to make, and they make the simplest thing look harder and better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 12/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 10/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 1/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 11/30
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 6/11
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...