A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
723 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lindsay Lohan's cabled beret  (Read 1747 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hilaryknits
« on: June 21, 2006 10:52:49 PM »

Is anybody in love with this beret that Lindsay Lohan is wearing in this picture? If so, any ideas on how to make it?

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/4313/Events/4313/LindsayLoh_Devan_7246335_400.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0488988

close up:
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/4313/Events/4313/LindsayLoh_Devan_7246324_400.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0488988
I don't know if this link will work or not
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006 10:57:49 PM by hilaryknits » THIS ROCKS   Logged
aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006 11:59:48 PM »

Ooh, that IS cute! It looks like you'd need a lot of hair to make it look right though, so I'm out. But it shouldn't be too hard to find a stitch pattern like that in a reference book, like maybe Vogue Knitting. The hardest part would be the decreases--decreasing in pattern, oy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
MostlyHarmless
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006 07:53:53 AM »

That is really cute. Its not my look, but I know a friend who would die for something like this. If you figure out a pattern (or somebody else does) I would love to see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyVegan
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006 11:44:45 AM »

Wow, I like this. Yet another project that makes me want to learn pattern drafting. Because I know it's not that hard, but I feel the urge to play around with knits and purls in various ways until I get this pattern. The only thing that seems hard to me is starting it... Too bad we can't see the top! If only I had the lightweight yarn I'd need to start this... I'll add this to the list of things to make next (after I finish the 5 projects I have to do... Roll Eyes)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's Frank?
pinkyswear
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006 06:40:35 AM »

Wow, I love it. I have no idea how to make it though.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misssparkle
*~Miss_Sparkle~*

Suzie Says.... freewebs.com/suziesays

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006 09:28:23 AM »

yeh that is a really nice hat. looks difficult! i only really started knitting properly about a month ago tho. I have actually just finished my first piece from a pattern which was a hat, which is a beret like that but without the cabling, its supposed to be a baker boy cap but u can have it either way, just dont sew the peak on! the pattern was from Sirdar, and it was called California Girls
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kerry Berry
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006 09:36:03 PM »

I've been thinking about this pattern.  Isn't it just a slightly baggier version of the pithy hat with a different cable?  If you look closely, you can see that LL's hat is seamed (you can see where the two edges of the cabled pattern meet), but I think it would be easier to do in the round.  I think this hat is adorable, and I've been meaning to make a pithy hat, so I'll play around with the cable this weekend and see if I get something even moderately similar. 

P.S.  As for how to handle the decreases in the cable pattern, if you look at the pithy hat pattern you only decrease on the last two rows of the hat before you pull the yarn through. 

P.P.S.  If you want something with a less gathered top (you can see what I mean by gathered in the pithy hat link with Kiki's red hat), Elizabeth Zimmermann gives a guide for how to make a beret in Knitting Without Tears (I've sadly left my copy at school, 150 miles away, so I'll have to improvise).  For those of you who don't care to spend money (although I've found it's totally worth it--I love her wit!), check out your local library.

Wow...I love parenthetical comments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tamagotchi
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006 11:39:08 AM »

This is a pretty old thread, but I was just wondering if anyone managed to figure out a pattern for this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
orata
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006 12:46:35 PM »

It's so cute--I would really like to, but I have to finish my holiday knitting! I did find a good cable pattern for it. Do you want to test-knit this pattern draft and tell me how it comes out? If not, maybe I'll try knitting this after my presents are done and make adjustments to the pattern...

knit-twist lattice pattern: multiple of 16 sts + 2
Row 1 and all WS rows: purl
Row 2: k1, *LT, k4, RT, repeat from *, end k1
Row 4: k2, *LT, k2, RT, k2, repeat from *
Row 6: k3, *LT, RT, k4, rep from *, last repeat k3
Row 8: k4, *RT, k6, rep from *, end last repeat k4
Row 10: k3, *RT, LT, k4, rep from *, end last repeat k3
Row 12: k2, *RT, k2, LT, k2, rep from *
Row 14: k1, *RT, k4, LT, rep from *, end k1
Row 16: k8, *LT, k6, rep from *, end k2

300 yards? DK weight yarn
16" circular needles or DPNs, sizes 4 and 6

Cast on 108 sts. Join to work in the round, and work in 1x1 rib with smaller needle for about 1 inch.
Switch to larger needles, place marker, and work 6 repeats of the lattice pattern as panels of 18 sts. (or this could be continuous instead, with stitch count adjusted? But I do see edge stitches in the picture of Lindsay's hat)
Work pattern until hat measures about 10-11".
Next two rounds: k2tog around.
Last round: k2tog around, end k1.
Cut yarn, leaving long tail, thread through remaining sts, and pull closed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamagotchi
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006 04:54:48 PM »

thanks, orata!  I'll def. try this one out over the holidays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Amy Sohn Talks About Prospect Park West
A Secret Message from Obert Skye
Roz Savage Talks About Rowing the Atlantic
Meet Author Ruth Rendell
Tania James Talks About Atlas of Unknowns
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...