A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my first mini top hat!(wordy attempt at tute added)  (Read 9793 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

doomcandy

small.cute.vicious.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006 05:52:52 PM »

um, i'll try and explain it, but feel free to ask more questions if i'm not clear Smiley (i probably wont be)

the hat is made of matboard ( a thick sturcy card you get from picture framing shops, they use it to put coloured borders around the pictures) covered with whatever fabric you want.

1)i found the easiest way to do it was to find a tin can you like the size of and cut the matboard to the same dimensions, so you'll end up with a rectangle of card that will roll into the tube of tha hat, and a round top.

2) deide how wide you want the brim to be and cut a circle that size out of card, then cut a hole out of the middle the same size as the bottom of your chosen can. its a good idea to try fitting all the card peices together to make a hat shape before you go any further to make sure you dont want to make any adjustments.

3) cover all pieces with your chosen fabric. i do this by just folding a piece of fabric in half, placing the card in the middle and seing around the outline(i'm not a very good sewer yet Tongue) but you can do it however you like. the edges on the rectangle and top circle dont have to be great because they'll be tucked inside when you sew it. remember to keep the hole cut out in the brim piece, so you have what looks like a flat, fabric covered ring, but leave about 5mm to 1cm of extra fabric around the inside edge, you'll need it later

4)curve the long ends of the rectangle together and sew to form a tube, i find it helps if you pin or even staple the ends together while you sew them, otherwise the card tries to spring out again.

5) push the top circle into the tube (i've found you get a nice finish if you push it up from the bottom of the tube, as it makes sure the fabric is taut(sp?). once it's sitting level with the top of the tube pin it(just push the pins through the outside of the card tube to they hold the circle in place), and sew the circle to the tube edge with small stitches all round the circumference.

6)push the brim ring onto the bottom of the tube so that bottom of the tube is level with the ring base. use the 5mm or 1 cm of extra fabric left around the inside of the ring to securely sew the brim to the base of the hat, it's sometimes a good idea to sew round it twice for strength.

7) add any decorations you need and a way to secure it to your head and your mini top hat is finished!

i hope that wasn't to long winded and hard to understand, i'll try and remember to take step by step pics next time i make one Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

i'm always keen for personal swaps and ATC trading, just PM me!
http://www.wists.com/doomcandy
myspace
   http://www.myspace.com/feyling

http://www.wists.com/doomcandy
fishiegopook

why so blue, panda bear?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006 06:19:16 PM »

thanks for the tutorial!  I was looking at buying one of these a few weeks ago, now I think I'll try to make my own first Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmberKat
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007 10:04:30 PM »

Your hat looks lovely! And I was hoping you might try to make another so I could understand the tutorial better Embarrassed I can't quite understand it, but then again I'm a really visual person. Thanks in advance!! And once again, the hat looks lovely
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silversark

Queen of France!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007 01:35:41 PM »

Or you could buy the Gosu Rori Vol. 3 magazine, it has a mini top hat pattern.  Mini top hats rock my world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make Elegant Gothic Lolita goods on commission, and sometimes I just make things for the online store!

http://silversark.etsy.com/
hubbzy
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007 02:56:33 AM »

go you that hat is so damn cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TimelessBarbara
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007 05:14:05 AM »

Where would I find this mag?   Could you scan the pattern page for me?
I would love to see it...I love mini (and reg) top hats!
This one in the thread is adorable Smiley
Barbara

Or you could buy the Gosu Rori Vol. 3 magazine, it has a mini top hat pattern.  Mini top hats rock my world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mistressH
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

glue gun weilding cowgirl

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007 05:14:30 AM »

thats fantastic!!!!!!

smartie is that whitby abbey in your pic?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smelsmin
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007 04:57:05 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial! I've made one (it doesn't look as proffesional as yours, though) and I can post pictures of the process if you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmberKat
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007 07:25:33 PM »

Please do! I would love it so much if you could!
I can post pictures of the process if you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kodachi148
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008 06:58:23 PM »

Your hat is ace! I'm totally taking the directions down (I think I understand them)

Someone said something about the Gothic Loli Bible directions for a mini top hat.
Here's the Gosu Rori version

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/Kodachi/gosuroriminitophat.jpg

Oh and how did you get the brim to curl up like that? Is it the fabric, plate or something special?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008 09:13:36 PM by Kodachi148 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Homer Simpson - 1st Drawing
How to Draw Young Homer Simpson - 58th Drawing
How to Draw Moe Szyslak - 23rd Drawing
The Special 1000 Subscribers Video - 52nd Drawing
How to Draw Spider-Pig - 27th Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...