A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cheap awesome smelling body spray  (Read 4112 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jpatti
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006 10:12:13 AM »

i seriously want to try this but i have reservations because....well...it's FOOD, right?!

i'm just worried about it being sticky or attracting flies or something. please please let me know about that cause i'm dying to try a vanilla cinnamon!

It's not *really* food ebcause there's no sugar or starch or anything that would feed bugs.

Now if you rub chocolate chip cookie dough all over, you may have a problem.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gwenluvy
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006 11:23:56 AM »

A related idea - I make a powder I use as a deodorant/dusting powder/etc - especially in winter.

You take a couple cups of corn starch, a couple TB of baking soda, and sprinkle a couple drops of essential oil (I use lavender) and mix.  Let it dry overnight, then sift into a container.  It's not pretty, but I use empty Parmesan cheese containers cause they "sprinkle" well.

It feels incredibly silky and smells exactly how *you* want it to cause you've chosen the essential oil. 

The only caution is do not use if you have a yeast infection; corn starch is utterly yummy food for yeastie beasties.

gross. why not try unscented baby powder? what does ther baking soda do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
marmalade bombs

professional heartbreakers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006 12:29:42 PM »

baby powder is mostly made of corn starch now. talc has been found to be bad for people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LONG LIVE NANNY B.!

i heart myspace!
http://www.myspace.com/fizz_fizz_bang

i sew, make collages, make mix cds, make home improvements, latch hook, make jewelry, paint, and am in school for interior design. i wanna learn how to knit!
gwenluvy
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006 01:08:36 PM »

Well maybe some are, but I use J&J and it is made of talc. Making baby powder out of cornstarch seems pretty stupid. Babies get yeast infectionon diaper rashes all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marmalade bombs

professional heartbreakers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006 01:12:19 PM »

yeah but talc causes cancer or something, they've found. something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LONG LIVE NANNY B.!

i heart myspace!
http://www.myspace.com/fizz_fizz_bang

i sew, make collages, make mix cds, make home improvements, latch hook, make jewelry, paint, and am in school for interior design. i wanna learn how to knit!
DayTripper
Character is what you are in the dark.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine" Proverbs 17:22

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006 01:28:18 PM »

Just out of curiosity, I spritzed on some Cinnamon extract at home....when I got to work, my secretary said "Dude...you smell like breakfast!"  LOL
-Day  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be a sinner and sin strongly, but more strongly have faith and rejoice in Christ."

-Martin Luther
jpatti
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006 01:47:35 PM »

gross. why not try unscented baby powder? what does ther baking soda do?

Cause you can buy corn starch in bulk cheaper than dirt.  Baby powder is the same stuff packaged to sell at ten times more.

The baking soda just makes it a bit "fresher".  Think about how you stick it in a fridge or freezer to pick up smells.

I use this not just as a powder, but as a deodorant.  Especially in winter on my feet, when I'm wearing 2 or 3 pairs of socks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jpatti
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006 01:51:53 PM »

yeah but talc causes cancer or something, they've found. something like that.

Asthma, bronchitis and potentially emphysema.  It's the particle size of powdered talc, it's "sharp" and cuts up the lungs.

If an adult wants to use it, kewl, but you should really minimize clouds of the stuff, put it on *gently*. 

But baby powder made from talc ought never, ever, ever be put on a baby - can screwup their lungs for life.  You'd be better off giving them cigarettes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gwenluvy
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2006 02:45:16 PM »

Yeah well, I'll continue using it. I don't really buy into the everything is unhealthy view- eggs, milk (organic or no), red meat, tofu- it's all good for you too, depending on who you talk to.

It's been used on everyone in my family with no ill effects. I'd rather use it than give my child yeast infections. Besides, I don't make "clouds" of it for him to choke on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Body to Your Hair with Beer
How to Grow Your Hair Faster
How to Blow Dry Your Hair Straight
Creative Living With Brit: Mastering The Back Comb
Hair How To: The Beehive
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...