A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Magazine belt and two jean=skirt recons (tutorial added for belt)(pic heavy)  (Read 1917 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teena89
« on: June 21, 2006 01:01:17 PM »

Hey guys!

This is a belt I made yesterday while watching Anderson Cooper's interview with Angelina Jolie, when I should have been studying for my exams (three done, three to go!).

Here it is not in the belt loops; now in  belt loops

Close up of me wearing it; close up of the button

Here are two jean recons I did in May:

My first jean recon (I didn't make the belt); My second jean recon.  Someone made a much nicer version of this on craftster lol

And while I'm at it... here's my dress form I made (also when I should have been studying for my exams).

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=88743.msg966100#msg966100
^^ Click that for a really long story about it and some more pictures.

Thanks for looking! ^__^

ETA: BELT TUTORIAL
(It was resized when I uploaded it.  The word on the bottom says "button:"  Wink)

1. Cut out magazine covers/pages/ads.  More paper = more variety in belt ( I think I used 6-8 sheets, and like half of it was thrown out ).
2. Cut them into 1.5 cm strips.  You may change the width if preferred, but the following measurements will be based upon the 1.5 cm strips.  Now cover your strips with clear tape. ( I just laid the tape on the floor, but the magazine strip on it and folded the tape over )
3. Tape strips together to make a long strip that is the desired length of belt.  Do this again two times.  Line the three long strips horizontally and tape them together at one end.
4. Use your other strips and cut them to make them smaller.  You will need two sizes: 3 cm and 6 cm.
5. Take a 3cm piece and put it so that it is behind the two strips on the edges but in front of the middle strip.  It's just weaving.  Tape it into place, but make sure not to place the tape where it will interfere the pieces that you have to add on after it.  Now take the 6cm strip and place it in front of the two longer strips on the edge, but behind the one in the middle.  Again, it's just weaving.  There should be some excess on the 6cm strip (its longer than it needs to be), fold it over and tape it into place.  Repeat for the length of the belt.
6.  Tape the end so that it won't come apart.  Add button, and button holes.  Ta dah, done.
IF YOU WANT TO MAKE YOUR OWN BUTTON:
1. Take a strip of paper that has been already cut (but not covered with tape) and fold 1.5 cm from the edge.  Keep folding so that it becomes thick like a normal buton.  Use tape, and tape it secure.  If you would like it to be a round button, cut it.  Then what I did is kind of hard to explain.  I used a thick strip of tape and covered the button with it.  But instead of cutting off excess, I made a tail with it.  Then I cut a hole in the belt and stuck the tail through the hole and then taped the tail down on the other side of the belt to hold it into place.

And that's it.  It's fairly easy, just time consuming.  If you would want to do it faster (I'm going to do it this way next time), then I would cut out all the strips and skip the covering-them-in-tape step.  Then weave them together, and tape the final belt with clear, thick tape.  And then I would continue on at step 6. 

Have fun  Grin
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006 08:34:29 PM by teena89 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sophroworth
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006 01:24:27 PM »

I love the skirts, they look so professional. I also like the belt, i might have to use that idea, if thats ok?? xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is my intention to raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weaselly black guts out....
teena89
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006 02:32:43 PM »

I love the skirts, they look so professional. I also like the belt, i might have to use that idea, if thats ok?? xx

Thanks.  Yeah, sure, go ahead!  It was annoying to make though.  I'm so impatient XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittty
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006 03:00:07 PM »

i really love that belt!!! How did you make it???

And don't worry about exams I spent the day making a shirt instead of studying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teena89
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006 08:31:22 PM »

i really love that belt!!! How did you make it???

And don't worry about exams I spent the day making a shirt instead of studying.

I just added the tutorial.  And I did that when I should have been studying for my exams too.  Cool Grin Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherrymonkett
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006 07:30:51 AM »

i'm kinda confused with the belt tutorial, o well ill figure it out.. it's soooo cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare a Canvas for Oil Painting
How to Mix Oil Paint Colors
How to Use a Palette Knife to Apply Oil Paint
How to Paint on Paper with Oils
How to Improve Your Oil Painting Skills
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...