A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 315,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lots of brown "snakeskin" - Any ideas?  (Read 803 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Astolante
« on: July 14, 2006 12:51:06 PM »

My mother was charged with the task of making a ten foot long snake for a production of "THe Magic Flute", and I've been left with a lot of the snakeskin. It's only thin, and quite stretchy, so I'm not sure how practical it'd work out for clothing.

Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slb2724
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006 12:52:39 PM »

maybe a wallet or purse? they seem to be popular now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
Astolante
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006 02:17:17 PM »

I did think about it a bag, but I tend to carry a lot around in very big bags, and I'm not sure how well it'd stand up to the treatment! A purse could work out very well, though.
I'm thinking along the lines of accessories, maybe; I can get a lot out of it, and I tend to give little handmade gifts away for Christmas and birthdays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006 07:58:06 PM »

I liked the bag idea. You can use Peltex to shape the skin and make sturdy shapes.
Perach
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whyislife
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006 08:11:56 PM »

this is probably going to sound like im being a smart ass, but i say you make kinky lingerie and sell it (or wear it  Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006 06:50:04 AM »

THere are some great dresses that do well with jersey material.  I vote for a very sexy dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006 09:41:03 AM »

I vote for a dress too - make a matching bag and use some heavy interfacing to help give it body.

Since it's strechy, you can always make some underwear or an interesting top (ooooh, like a wrap or mock wrap top).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Astolante
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006 01:53:53 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions!
The underwear/dress idea is very tempting. For art at school, we get to do a textiles project, and I daresay I could do something interesting for that!

PerachYafeh -  What is Peltex? I'm in the UK, and I don't know if there's something similar over here.

I also dug out a big bag of plain wooden shapes - hearts, stars, teardrops, circles and squares, and a bag of assorted plastic shapes in various colours, if anyone has any ideas for those? I'm thinking huge dangly earrings...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006 01:57:46 PM by Astolante » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006 02:06:34 PM »

Hello

Peltex or Timtex are nothing more than a heavy interface - I guess I can call that. The material is thick and pliable. If you cannot get over UK..you can get on line for example at fabric.com (http://www.fabric.com/notions-and-patterns-sewing-notions-interfacings-fusibles-stabilizers-timtex-13.5-timtex-interfacing.aspx?SearchProductID=c5432548-28a1-407d-bf73-a7d3302e72ef)

Check this out - The girl use peltex to make a fabric post card. There is a pic that you can clearly see how peltex holds the shape.
http://debrichardson.blogspot.com/2005/09/how-to-make-fabric-postcard-debr-style.html

Have fun..and show us what you end up doing with your snake fabric!

Perach
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paroper
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006 02:44:43 PM »

The type of dress I see in your future wouldn't need any interfacing.  However, when I interface knits I use a tricot interfacing.  It is available here in widths up to 60", depending on whether you purchase black or white.  I like it because it fuses to the fabric gives nice body, is light weight and moves like the fabric because it is a knit.  I used it a couple of years when I needed to make a tux with tails from some very stretchy jersey fabric.  It stabilized the fabric without taking away all the stretch and it didn't add weight. 

Although I wasn't necessarily thinking of an evening gown, a dress with this type of design lines would not need to be reinforced.  There are a lot of blouses, skirts and dresses out there this season which would lend themselves well to a flowing knit fabric.

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V2786=x&TI=20006&page=2

Something like this maybe?

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V8297=x&TI=20018&page=1

Even some of the gauchos are made of very stretchy comfortable fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Liz Funk Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Sam Harris Talks About The Moral Landscape
Meet Authors Robin and Michael Mastro
Roz Chast Talks About Too Busy Marco
Dr. Oz Talks About YOU: Raising Your Child
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...