A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lots of brown "snakeskin" - Any ideas?  (Read 519 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Astolante
« on: July 14, 2006 12:51:06 PM »

My mother was charged with the task of making a ten foot long snake for a production of "THe Magic Flute", and I've been left with a lot of the snakeskin. It's only thin, and quite stretchy, so I'm not sure how practical it'd work out for clothing.

Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slb2724
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006 12:52:39 PM »

maybe a wallet or purse? they seem to be popular now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
Astolante
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006 02:17:17 PM »

I did think about it a bag, but I tend to carry a lot around in very big bags, and I'm not sure how well it'd stand up to the treatment! A purse could work out very well, though.
I'm thinking along the lines of accessories, maybe; I can get a lot out of it, and I tend to give little handmade gifts away for Christmas and birthdays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006 07:58:06 PM »

I liked the bag idea. You can use Peltex to shape the skin and make sturdy shapes.
Perach
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whyislife
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006 08:11:56 PM »

this is probably going to sound like im being a smart ass, but i say you make kinky lingerie and sell it (or wear it  Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006 06:50:04 AM »

THere are some great dresses that do well with jersey material.  I vote for a very sexy dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006 09:41:03 AM »

I vote for a dress too - make a matching bag and use some heavy interfacing to help give it body.

Since it's strechy, you can always make some underwear or an interesting top (ooooh, like a wrap or mock wrap top).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Astolante
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006 01:53:53 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions!
The underwear/dress idea is very tempting. For art at school, we get to do a textiles project, and I daresay I could do something interesting for that!

PerachYafeh -  What is Peltex? I'm in the UK, and I don't know if there's something similar over here.

I also dug out a big bag of plain wooden shapes - hearts, stars, teardrops, circles and squares, and a bag of assorted plastic shapes in various colours, if anyone has any ideas for those? I'm thinking huge dangly earrings...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006 01:57:46 PM by Astolante » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006 02:06:34 PM »

Hello

Peltex or Timtex are nothing more than a heavy interface - I guess I can call that. The material is thick and pliable. If you cannot get over UK..you can get on line for example at fabric.com (http://www.fabric.com/notions-and-patterns-sewing-notions-interfacings-fusibles-stabilizers-timtex-13.5-timtex-interfacing.aspx?SearchProductID=c5432548-28a1-407d-bf73-a7d3302e72ef)

Check this out - The girl use peltex to make a fabric post card. There is a pic that you can clearly see how peltex holds the shape.
http://debrichardson.blogspot.com/2005/09/how-to-make-fabric-postcard-debr-style.html

Have fun..and show us what you end up doing with your snake fabric!

Perach
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paroper
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006 02:44:43 PM »

The type of dress I see in your future wouldn't need any interfacing.  However, when I interface knits I use a tricot interfacing.  It is available here in widths up to 60", depending on whether you purchase black or white.  I like it because it fuses to the fabric gives nice body, is light weight and moves like the fabric because it is a knit.  I used it a couple of years when I needed to make a tux with tails from some very stretchy jersey fabric.  It stabilized the fabric without taking away all the stretch and it didn't add weight. 

Although I wasn't necessarily thinking of an evening gown, a dress with this type of design lines would not need to be reinforced.  There are a lot of blouses, skirts and dresses out there this season which would lend themselves well to a flowing knit fabric.

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V2786=x&TI=20006&page=2

Something like this maybe?

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V8297=x&TI=20018&page=1

Even some of the gauchos are made of very stretchy comfortable fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize Football Cutouts template
How to Resize a Page in Photoshop
How to Add Texture
How to Add Photos to a Frame
How to Personalize the Urban Grunge Template
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...