A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 305,019
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what would you use to make corset boning?  (Read 2127 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Morgana
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006 11:06:25 PM »

i've made several wedding dresses and always use the stuff i described.  its for the inside.  it goes in real easy.  you might need a zipper foot depending on your sewing machine.  i haven't needed one though.  practise on a muslin mock up first maybe.. if you're doing a lining, you sew it to the lining so the top stitching doesn't show through on the outside.  or maybe thats an obvious step LOL  i'm a bad sewing teacher

You don't need a zipper foot attachment to sew in this type of boning. I used to design and manufacture corsets and I used this type, as it is more comfortable and versatile. Simply cut the boning to the size you will need, remove the boning from the fabric casing, and sew the fabric casing into the inside of the corset. Make sure to stitch across the bottom of the fabric casing so that the boning doesn't come out. You can use the stitching on the casing as your stitch guide and stitch right over it. Then slip the boning back inside. You may need to trim the boning slightly since you stitched across the bottom, making the casing slightly smaller than the removed boning. Did that make sense? Its easier to show rather than describe.

Hugs,
Morgana
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006 11:54:13 PM »

i work in a restaurant and we have lots of buckets/pails of butter, etc... and when you open a new bucket you get this 1/4inchish wide piece of prety strong plastic. this crazy sewer girl i work with uses it as boning in her corsets... its pretty sturdy stuff
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emilia06
Future Crazy Cat Lady

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006 02:24:29 PM »

I know it's been a while since anyone's posted in this topic, but I just wanted to say a bit about cable ties.  I've never used them for Victorian-style corsets, which are the ones that are usually talked about, but I do use them for my Elizabethan corsets, especially to wear to the Renn Fest. 

I'm a big girl, and I'm especially top-heavy, and I've worn bodices boned with cable ties for 12 hours or more without any problems.  I just went to Lowe's and got the widest ties I could find and used them.

They're bendy, but surprisingly heavy-duty, and they tend to mold to your body after a while, so I'm sure they'd work fine for Victorian corsets, too.  In any case, I found them cheaper and a bit easier to work with than spring steel boning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006 03:08:49 PM »

I would not used steel wire. It will probably rust with with time. Either after you wash or because of sweat.
Perach
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006 07:25:44 AM »

When I make a corset I make the bones removable when I use spring or spiral steel.

Heavy zip /cable ties work well, they don't deform under body heat nearly as much as the commercial stuff that is the easiest to find in fabric stores.

There was another thread on this with tons of suggestions and places to find boning.. have to hunt for it.

Mieka

edited to add:

here are several recent posts with some of the same info I was thinking of.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=105115.0

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=79972.0

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=8999.0  (very long...)

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=30245.0

Mieka

« Last Edit: July 14, 2006 07:28:51 AM by Mikaiyawa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
deciduous
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2006 06:47:27 AM »

I made a corset last year, and the boning I used was wire hangers. It's nice and strong, but doesn't hurt at all. Unless it pokes out of the fabric. Then it's not so comfortable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deathslilsister

elegantly waisted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2006 09:04:14 AM »

You can kind of bend back the ends of the wire hangers, maybe for the next one, so they don't poke out of the fabric.  For my first couple of corsets, I used a type of wire I got at the hardware store-- it's steel wire coated with plastic, and it's a heck of a job to cut, but it's really sturdy.  If your corset is going to be for support (ie you won't need a bra underneath), you're going to want something more sturdy than the stuff they sell in the fabric store-- from my experience, if you wear a corset boned with that stuff, it likes to crease at the waist. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Students of the World Develops Documentary Filmmakers
How to Film and Edit Green Screen Video
How to Make Fake Blood for Halloween
Non-Linear Editing Basics in Final Cut Pro
Modern Horror: Mockumentary
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...