A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty People in CT: Do you exist???  (Read 9199 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thisisserious
« on: June 21, 2006 10:08:11 AM »

I don't have any crafty friends and it's beginning to drive me insane. Seriously. Haha. I want somebody to craft with! My friends will come over when I say I'm working (working=sewing/crafting) but they say it's fine and come over anyways and all they do is complain about how they're bored, even if I offer to teach them how to make something. I want some crafting company!

Obviously I'm not going to be like, "Nice to meet you, here's my address!" if somebody actually exists in this area that's crafty, but if we chat online for a while and get along it would be awesome to have somebody near here to craft with. Even if someone reading this just knows of a crafting group that meets up weekly/monthly, I'd be more than happy with that.

As far as location goes, I'm in Fairfield County (Norwalk).

I feel like I just wrote a classified ad. Haha.

EDIT: I just realized it would probably be a good idea to give some more info about me. I've been sewing/crafting for almost 10 years. I predominately sew apparel, bags/purses, accessories, and stuffed animals. I dabble in almost every craft (my room is like a craft store...it's ridiculous) but probably spend the most time crocheting, embroidering, and making jewelry & paper goods. I've been going to school online since my sophomore year in high school. Hmm...what else? I'm a little hesitant to say my age because 99% of the people I have encountered who are the same age as me have appalling behavior and do and say the things that I did when I was 12 or 13, so please don't judge me based off of my age. Now that I've given my disclaimer (haha), I'm sixteen. Lastly, something completely random...I have a fat pug named Nala who snorts and is an adorable chubby pig. Hahaha. Ok, I'm done.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006 01:04:53 PM by thisisserious » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thisisserious
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006 12:49:03 PM »

I exist!! I'm 23, I live in Wallingford, and I predominately make jewelry.

You're so far though! Isn't Wallingford just over an hour from here?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006 02:32:39 PM »

yeah Sad.   Wallingford sucks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
CraftsyFattie
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006 07:48:43 PM »

I'm in CT!!
I'm underaged, so I don't think I can give my town, but I live near Windsor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bonbonz101
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006 06:04:07 PM »

I exist!! I'm 23, I live in Wallingford, and I predominately make jewelry.

Wallingford? I'm right next door in North Haven !

thisisserious, I'm 16 as well, and my friends are exactly into crafting, so I feel your pain! It's too bad you live far away though  Undecided

There seems to be a lack of craftiness in CT, I mean, there are a few yarn & bead stores in New Haven, but other than that, there isn't much. Craft fairs just seem to be the same old thing ... too-expensive jewelry that looks the same, and painted birdhouses. *Sigh,* I wish a crafting revolution could happen soon!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back from a long hiatus!
PM me about personal swaps Tongue

Wists: http://www.wists.com/bonbonz101
Style blog: http://mypolychromelife.blogspot.com
Check out my vintage Etsy store!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6023310

Smiley
LilithParker
Creative. Disturbed. Online.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006 09:34:38 AM »

25, knitter, seamstress, crocheter, well-rounded Jane of all trades, living in Windsor (CraftsyFattie, we need to talk!)

For yarn people, there are a bunch of stores up this way. Creative Fibers in Windsor and Criations in Somers are my favorite. If you sew, you absolutely must visit Affordable Fabrics in Rocky Hill (on the Silas Deane). I found some black linen (feels like 100%, but no label, and I haven't gotten around to burning it yet) there a few weeks ago... $2/yd, like everything else in the store. Cheesy

Anyone interested in a CT crafters picnic? I'll organize it if y'all bring food!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

headbunnie
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006 04:36:44 PM »

29, in coventry. knit sew crochet paperstuff beading - haven't done much lately because i've been sewing seat covers for our boat and a whole boat cover.

there is a new fiber store in coventry - knitting nook - the lady is super nice and seems helpful. tole me to bring my stuff in and she'd help me out.

i'm down with a craft picnic or meet up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AutoXchick
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007 08:13:18 PM »

We're here, we're just apparently not very chatty Smiley

I'm near Bristol, I sew, I'm learning to knit, I make paper invitations and quilts and jewelry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ibunnysavetroy
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007 06:31:19 AM »

i'm IN bristol. I know we have a knitting night club thingy at the starbucks here, but it's all older women (i'm in high school), and i don't partciulary feel comfortable.
any young knitters in the bristol area? Want to have a teen/twenties knitting thingy..Huh
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007 06:31:48 AM by ibunnysavetroy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007 06:47:25 PM »

I'm in the Norwalk area as well.  Crafty people do exist in CT - I commute on Metro-North, and I occasionally see someone knitting or doing needlepoint on the train.  (Besides myself, that is.  Tongue )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdoll193
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007 06:44:09 PM »

i'm also in bristol. i don't really knit, but i do bring crafts to work on the off chance i might have time to do anything
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Hippiepunkchick
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007 09:30:17 PM »

Those in the Norwalk/Fairfield County area have a few options.  I believe there is a knitting group at bloodroot in bridgeport every wednesday.  Tomorrow (and every tuesday) the SnB is meeting in Stamford (Sundance Cafe, 105 broad st. 6ish-9pm).  And my group (The Norwalk Knitting Meetup Group) which actually is composed of not just knitters but crocheters and other crafters will be joining the SnBers.  But I'll be planning some other stuff too before I head back to school mid-august.  I don't wanna post links, but if you're interested my email/aim is HooDaMouse@aol.com soo hit me up!

-Kaitlin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SlyBetty
Non-stop crafty bandit

Get Ur Craft On

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007 07:34:41 AM »

We are probably a little out of the way for you but my sister and I run an awesome crafting group in Danbury CT. It's called the Hat City Scissor Squad. there a re a LOT of knitters, but plenty of us crochet, needle felt, make jewelry and paper crafts at meetings. We welcome any portable crafts and get together every Tuesday night at Molly Darcy's in Danbury (about 7:30) and drink beer and craft together. If you are ever in the area feel free to drop in! You can join our Yahoo Group here if you want updates on location/time etc:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hat_city_scissor_squad/

Good luck on your crafty search!
 ;DMary Helen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clarabara11
ちび ととろ

9/1 - 8/9

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007 12:33:09 PM »

I'm in CT. But I have never even heard of Norwalk, so I guess I'm far away..
But there are definitely crafters here! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listen to Beethoven..

http://clarabara11.livejournal.com/  - - Whoo, blog!
miss catbread

there's a party in my tummy!

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007 08:54:31 AM »

Bridgeport here!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jesseeyore
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007 09:31:17 AM »

I'm in manchester. Seems like there's no one else in the center of the state!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feedback makes me happy

http://www.wists.com/jesseeyore
ibunnysavetroy
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007 01:05:36 PM »

If i understnad CT correctly I'm sorta in the center - bristol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SlyBetty
Non-stop crafty bandit

Get Ur Craft On

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007 02:19:56 PM »

I'm moving to Woodbury this week! I hope its crafty there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdoll193
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007 02:26:47 PM »

Bristol is very much in the center, that's where I'm from. What part of Bristol are you in/ what crafts do you do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
AutoXchick
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007 09:29:16 PM »

I live right outside of Bristol. I'm mostly into quilting and sewing projects these days, so nothing particularly portable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ibunnysavetroy
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007 06:52:17 AM »

Bristol is very much in the center, that's where I'm from. What part of Bristol are you in/ what crafts do you do?
I'm right off route six - near starbucks/stop and shop. I walk to that plaza all the time!
I knit/sew/bake....yup!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silverrose43
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007 12:36:33 PM »

I live in Norwich in southeastern connecticut. there seems to be no other crafty people in this area of the state. I like to make jewelry and sew and I'm trying to learn to crochet. I wish i could find some other crafty people, most people haven't even heard of where I live.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kristin
MatteasMama
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007 06:41:50 AM »

This is so funny because I've been thinking the same thing for so long! Well apparently we exist we just don't know each other....lol! Maybe we can have a meet up or something?

I'm Rebecca, I'm 22 and I do just about everything...I sew, crochet, screen print, stencil...I'm a geek :p I also have a 10 month old little girl and my favorite thing to do is make things for her! Oh and I'm about to venture into jewlery too...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007 06:42:38 AM by MatteasMama » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MatteasMama
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007 06:43:41 AM »

I live in Norwich in southeastern connecticut. there seems to be no other crafty people in this area of the state. I like to make jewelry and sew and I'm trying to learn to crochet. I wish i could find some other crafty people, most people haven't even heard of where I live.
I've heard of it! I used to work in Norwich actually...it's a bit of a trek for me but if you want to maybe meet up sometime PM me! I'm dying to meet other creative people!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ibunnysavetroy
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007 02:48:43 PM »

does anyone here go to the starbucks in bristol (on route six) knit -night? I went there on tuesday and I felt odd. I'm young and they were all older, I went with some friends, and we sat in our own little circle. I felt unwelcome...Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdoll193
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007 08:53:28 PM »

I would if I weren't in Massachusetts for school. Maybe during winter break I can go to a couple and meet you there? I'd love to know someone else my age who knits
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
ibunnysavetroy
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007 12:12:24 PM »

that'd be great - I think for the next few weeks, though me and my knitting friends will alternate houses, but we can come to starbucks when you are there - just let me know the date!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

editorgrrl
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007 01:17:59 PM »

There are 200-ish crafty people in Connecticut on the Nutmeg Knitters group at Ravelry.com:
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/nutmeg-knitters.

(Ravelry's still in beta, but you can sign up for the waiting list.)

Edited to add that as of January 18, 2008, Nutmeg Knitters has 307 members -- and Ravelry isn't even open to the public yet.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 11:37:22 AM by editorgrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

freckles81
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008 05:20:19 PM »

I'm 26 and I live in Vernon, unfortunately it's quite a haul from Norwalk. I don't know if I'd consider myself an all out crafty person because I haven't made anything in awhile. But I'm definitely a crafty admirer and could spend all day browsing etcy.com. I usually make things with the help of my aunt and haven't been brave enough to do anything on my own. So if I had someone to help me I'd be good to go. I'm interested in sewing, quilting, knitting, crochet etc...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
editorgrrl
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008 11:41:59 AM »

Freckles81, don't miss the Connecticut Sheep & Wool Festival the last Saturday in April at the Tolland Agricultural Center in Rockville:
http://www.ctsheep.org

PS. There are groups closer to you than Norwalk. I link to all the Connecticut groups I know about at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnB_NewHaven.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grendelsmom
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2008 11:45:08 AM »

Hi all, I live in Chester (Makes Norwich look like NYC! Our local bumper sticker says "Chester, CT-We Know Where It Is"!).   I'm a little-a-this crafter, kind of do whatever strikes me at the moment or whatever is required for the kids.  Age 44, and do some baking, some sewing (mostly hand work so far, just started my first real sewing class), and  a LOT of improvisation - I've done lots of bits for birthday parties (Sculpy pins, lame cakes, making hats, once I made a Chinese Dragon Dance dragon that fit eight kids), Halloween, and school and stuff.  I do not knit or crochet, but after lurking here for awhile I think I just might get the urge - after I finish the V-day felt fortune cookies, the project for my sewing class, the PVC fencing foils for my son's birthday party .... 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SlyBetty
Non-stop crafty bandit

Get Ur Craft On

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008 02:29:59 PM »

Hey CT crafters! Just wanted to pop in and invite anybody in the Danbury area to come join us for some crafting and beers at Molly Darcy's on any given Tuesday Night. 

Our group has been together for a few years now and we call ourselves The Hat City Scissor Squad.  We get together every Tuesday night from about 8:00 to 10:00. All kinds of portable crafting is welcome. We have knitters, crocheters, sewers and even jewelers!

It hasn't been updated lately (woops!) but you can check out our homepage at www.ScissorSquad.com

Or join our Yahoo Group and schmooze it up with us online!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hat_city_scissor_squad/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nic Pizzolatto Talks About Galveston
Nic Pizzolatto Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Steve Martin Reads from Born Standing Up
Andrew Clements Talks About Report Cards
Remixing Shakespeare
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...