A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Questions for You clever folks with online stores::  (Read 575 times)
Tags for this thread: shopping_carts  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2006 09:48:54 AM »

OK, Here's a bunch Of questions about your online stores. I need as many opinions as possible please folks! I can't sleep I've been thinking about this too much.

My label ((as soon as its registered)) will be going online in a matter of weeks. I need help with some decisions.

Shopping Carts
The host I think I'm going with www.powweb.com has a shopping cart included. It also supports Paypal. I'm pretty sure I'll be going through Paypal. I've heard that setting up a shopping cart is very difficult though. What are your views on paypal and shopping carts?

Bandwidth
I have no idea how much bandwidth i will be using. In fact, i really don't know what bandwidth is exactly. I'm imagining its how much space I'll have to use,  is that right? Anyway, how much bandwidth do you use a month for your site?

Finances
Did you put a certain amount of money into your business? Do you keep your income and expenses for your business seperate to your household's?

Registration
I'm planning on selling my designs in stores as well. One day in my own shop Smiley. Did you register your name just for the internet? Did you trademark it also?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006 11:48:07 AM »

I'm only going to answer the one question for now:
ABSOLUTELY Keep biz and personal records separate.

Check into different banks and set up a checking account strictly for business ASAP.  Many are free accounts with no minimum balance.  You may have to dig, but you can find one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
hbic
Home Deconomics

A little home ec, a little home dec

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006 04:16:56 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by "registration" but it sounds like you are referring to two different processes. The on-line registration is your domain name. If you are lucky no one else is using it. You can call your website whatever you like. When you get a business license you are registering your business name with the city and state (two separate licences). It's even simpler if you use your own name.

I definitely agree that you need to keep your expenses separate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hand made home decor
SLM
Sey Little Mushroom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006 05:23:37 AM »

Shopping Carts
"The host I think I'm going with www.powweb.com has a shopping cart included. It also supports Paypal. I'm pretty sure I'll be going through Paypal. I've heard that setting up a shopping cart is very difficult though. What are your views on paypal and shopping carts?" -- You can also try oscommerce, intallation is much easier. Don't get templates though for it messes up,you won't get your money back. To set up paypal, you just need your paypal account details.

Bandwidth
"I have no idea how much bandwidth i will be using. In fact, i really don't know what bandwidth is exactly. I'm imagining its how much space I'll have to use,  is that right? Anyway, how much bandwidth do you use a month for your site?"-  My site have limited bandwidth and can store up to 500Mbytes. So start with medium bandwidth available, but make sure you get enough storage space. Resie your photos to max 700 pixels width.

Finances
"Did you put a certain amount of money into your business? Do you keep your income and expenses for your business seperate to your household's?" Separate them.

Registration
"I'm planning on selling my designs in stores as well. One day in my own shop Smiley. Did you register your name just for the internet? Did you trademark it also?" Register your domain name first. Then register your company.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

handigift - handcrafted gifts made with love
http://www.handigift.com
BaaBaaBlankies
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006 04:45:00 AM »

I have a suggestion on payment options. I used to have just paypal. My host, www.wahmshoppes.com, has a secure credit card collector built right in. I use propay.com to process my cards. It's very easy and the most affordable that I have found. You can also collect #'s at craft shows and over the phone and process them through Propay. 100% of my sales since have been with a credit card. I think it really boosts sales and looks more professional. I think it was like $59 for the year plus a % of your sales. Then you can transfer funds right into your bank account.

Wahmshoppes.com has a shopping cart built it with lots of different options. I'm sure there are better optimized carts out there but for $7 a month and a lot of link exchanges, advertising, it's pretty worth it.
I'm not very familiar with bandwidth either but I have never had a problem with it and I have a lot of drop ship items on my site as well as my own.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007 11:40:54 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Miranda Mendoza: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 1
Beauty Evolution Trailer
Are Your Feet Ready For Spring?
Solutions to the Biggest Beauty Problems
Homemade Solutions for Stretch Marks That Works
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...