A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,531
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where to send press releases?  (Read 416 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2006 06:40:56 AM »

I did a little digging and got some good advice on writing press releases.  My main problem at this moment is how to find WHERE to send them.

Specifically, I want to target national magazines like American Baby, Child, Parents, etc.

The hometown newspapers and former hometown newspapers I've got.  That's pretty easy.  It's the others I'm struggling with.  Any help appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
hbic
Home Deconomics

A little home ec, a little home dec

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006 12:00:47 PM »

Ask them! Find some kind of contact info for the mag and ask them who to send your press release to. They can also tell you any preferences, i.e. email or hard copy releases. Some editors won't accept unsolicited releases anyway. That way you are sure to eliminate the chances of getting your release dumped before they even look at it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hand made home decor
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006 06:12:13 AM »

Ditto the above, and this is a good time to start up a database of your own. Services that send releases are p-r-i-c-e-y, so if you keep your own list in Excel or a Word table you can automate your own releases with a simple mail merge and the cost of paper and stamps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigokat

Craftin' while they're nappin'

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006 06:31:08 PM »

I have a friend who worked at a fashion mag for teens and she did say that they never really read the hundreds and hundreds of faxes or e-mails that were sent to them as press releases (treated them like junk mail). And they especially ignored the ones from those pay to send services. But a nicely packaged box of goodies with a clever press packaging had them all salivating around the editors desk. But that is the quandry - do you use part of your marketing budget to make products to send off to these desks? On one hand they need to feel the items and see them to photograh them plus they need to make sure the quality is good before they choose to highlight the item. But then again it's another swag item for their promo bin if they don't like it or can't use it.

But I'm going to go for it - it's part of my marketing plan to strategically go after local and national press prior to the holidays. Using the product blogs will be most helpful too. I read that GMA and NPR use those blogs to see what innovative or clever items are out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back from hiatus and trying not to just lurk.
pumpkingirl
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006 07:40:06 PM »

It's free to list them on PRWEB.com. That may not get you into Child, but it will get the release "out there."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midwest Craftster!
dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006 10:43:29 AM »

i'm a reporter  Wink the most important thing is to have an appropriate message tailored to whoever. for ex. here's american baby's about us page: http://www.americanbaby.com/ab/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/ab/story/data/ABaboutus.xml&categoryid=/templatedata/ab/category/data/lifeasamom.xml&page=1
it has a link to the staff page where you'd find a description of what people do. pick out someone who you think would be most open to what you want to say.
but the trickiest part is saying the right thing. your press release has to be about somethig newsy: some new trend or some really innovative new thing that would serve their readers. it has to have a hook. otherwise, trust me, it will get trashed, the goodies eaten and forgotten. i'd suggest sending a release first and calling after a week or two if you don't hear anything. be persistent but not pushy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7 Things: Gina Gershon
The Evolution of Mara Dyer Book Trailer
The Prayer of Love Book Trailer
Jayne Amelia Larson on Driving the Saudis
Michael Feinstein Shares Memories of the Gershwins
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...