A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
378 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Teach a class or seminar to get out there  (Read 323 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2006 06:11:21 PM »

I have gotten advice from all sorts of people, some advice better than others.  Now a couple of people have said that a good way to get out there and get known, and therefore drum up business and contacts, is to offer a class, seminar, or some kind of educational program.

Today I bit the bullet and did it.

I talked with a former doula who agreed that there are lots of mommas out there who are curious about babywearing (slings, pouches, Baby Bjorn type carriers) but are timid about trying them, buying them and using them.  So I'm going to offer a little class on the benefits of babywearing complete with different types of carriers that moms can try on while they are there.

The good news is, this is a free class, it's at the local hospital (free meeting room there), children are not only welcome but encouraged, so mom's don't have to get a sitter, lots of parking, and I can advertise for free on the "what's happening" calendars in local papers and PSA's on the radio.  I get some exposure and hopefully some sales after the event.

I can't turn this into a commercial venue, but I can offer contact info and have samples of other items that I sell.  I will likely invite a woman who also sells nursing necklaces, a La Leche League representative to offer their pamphlets, and maybe a few other types of folks with services and compatible merchandise.

If it goes over well, I hope to offer another class and then maybe a "how to make a sling" class.  I'd love it if my local sewing center would let me offer something like that.  He could maybe sell a few sewing machines and I could get some recognition, too.

So think of what you can do.  What can you offer to people in the community?  Where can you do it?  How can you make it known to others?  If you don't sell a thing, would you still be ok with it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
bethy85
project wonderland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006 08:22:39 PM »

That is totally great for you! Go on with you "go getter" attitude. I've also read time and time again that this is a good way of getting business. I hope it works for you. I personally haven't tried anything like this but I'm  in the set up phase of starting a business, and that consumes most of my free time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006 06:20:38 AM »

Sure, it's a great idea. For my other business I offer cooking classes to get the word out. It's fun, and you're more easily remembered (and referred to!) when you meet people face-to-face.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...