A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chinese Charm Bag (personalized)  (Read 3695 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2004 03:29:28 PM »

I looked through all the other threads to find one that had finished pictures for this purse, but I couldn't find any. If there are, mea culpa  Smiley.

Anyway, after knitting this bag earlier this year and being disappointed with the size, I decided to make another and make it longer. My daughters say that I should name it the "craptacular" charm bag as the yarn that I used (Bucilla Triple Tweed . . . the ball band was so old that the glue was crumbling) was so ugly that it was gorgeous. I tried to pay homage to the 80s and all things preppie by introducing pink and cables, but the cotton yarn that I used wasn't the best choice - live and learn. Instead of using a Chinese charm, I used a Poetry Dog Tag that says "wicked."  I also added pockets on the inside for my cell phone, pens, keys, and other riff raff. All in all, I am fairly happy with the results.

Jil
l
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artistrachelmarie
Rachel Marie

Knitty Dirty Girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004 04:55:25 PM »

that really takes my breath away.
it looks like you used a really small needle, anyway I'm impressed. <3
I like it better than the one in stitch n bitch <333
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004 01:18:16 PM »

that's a really nice variation.  do the cables run all the way down the bag, or just in the pink?  that yarn _is_ very weird, but somehow neat. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004 08:55:15 AM »

The cables are only on the pink . . . in hindsight, I would rather have them run all the way down, but I like it the way it is too. I acutally had to add some stitches to make the pink even in number so the cables didn't cause me any "math stress". The yarn is cool when knit, but looking at it in the skein and actually buying it was a leap of faith.

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiewill

My beautiful baby girl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004 10:15:34 AM »

quick question:
where do you get the circle handles and how much do they cost? I would love to make this, but have almost no money for knitting right now, so projects must be reasonably cheap. (though I have about 4 more projects on my list ahead of this one, I like thinking ahead)

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Illanna24
Enemy of moths

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004 10:33:52 AM »

I got my circle handles at Walmart. They had them there over the summer. I got bamboo ones and clear ones. I believe they were $4.00 for each set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004 10:40:49 AM »

I bought these particular handles at a bead shop in Manhattan (down the street from Mid Town Comics where my husband was shopping) for about $9. They are a bit bigger than ones that I had seen in Wal-Mart and I never was very successful in finding Tortise Shell handles in the past. I have seen the bamboo ones at Wal-Mart for about $4 same as Illanna24.

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiewill

My beautiful baby girl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004 11:17:53 AM »

cool, thanks! I will definately check out walmart then (much as it pains me to shop there!) Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Popoki83
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005 12:24:06 AM »

I got the circular bamboo handles for less than a buck. I found them at a .99 cent store in the Grand Central Market in Los Angeles.  Kiss They were attached to a hideous little purse, which I threw away. Check out the Chinatown in your area too, if you have one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brena80

She isn't real... I can't make her real

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005 04:37:09 PM »

This is my Chinese Charm purse.  I bought the yarn and the handles at JoAnn Fabrics.  It will be going to my best friend in San Diego.  This purse is so gorgeous I just bought a bunch of yarn from WEBS so I can make it for me and some of my co-workers.  

The handles are a bit crooked, and I thought about re-attatching them, but my mom likes it this way.  Of course, she loves everything I do.  She's so great.  Smiley  Whenever I go home, she sews in all the yarn ends on my projects.  

This was my second project ever and I thought that it was a great starter project.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 08:36:44 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Hair Shine
Hair Color Products Recommendations
Dealing with an Oily Scalp
Beauty Post Blowdrying Tip
How to Volumize Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...