A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,804
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dye runs  (Read 1441 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

atomic mary
« on: June 21, 2006 07:26:45 AM »

okay-
can anyone out there help me? i made the beautiful butterick retro wrap dress out of a white fabric with red cherries and green stems. i used a cherry red bias binding around the neck, armholes and hem. it looked great, and i got a lot of compliments. i prewashed the fabric,(97% cotton 3%spandex) in hot water and all was fine. however, i did not wash the bias binding. i never have and have never had a problem with the colour running. it did this time though. so my beautiful dress i wore ONCE is now pink with red uneven splotches through out!
i did try to wash it again alone and it got worse. i bought some Run Away by Dylon but it said "not for use on coloreds" (really that's what it said!) so i bought some Simply White which said it was fine on colours. it  didn't do anything. i haven't dried the fabric yet although it's been washed in cold water 3 times. (it's sitting in my fridge crisper at the moment) my husband suggested dyeing it red all over. not what i want to do. i thought about trying to do a tie dye sort of mottled red and pink background not that i want to but it's not wearable the way it is.
 so anybody? how do i fix this? can i fix this?
thank you for reading my ranting and to anyone with a suggestion
atomic mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atomic mary
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006 07:56:41 AM »

i don't know what happened1 this doesn't seem to have posted?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006 10:24:46 AM »

oh, i've had that happen a few times--red commercial binding is the worst offender.  Smiley

what has worked for me every single time is a long LONG soak in a a solution of oxyclean and cold water.  by long, i mean overnight if needed.  it didn't hurt anything on the fabric but it completely got rid of the dye run off from the red binding.

do NOT get the water hot, and do NOT put the dress in the dryer until you are sure all the dye is gone.

good luck!  let us know how it goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
BKMGifts

Baskets, diaper cakes and more!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006 10:27:52 AM »

Rit makes a dye remover.  I had to use it once on my hubby's shirt. red seeped out of a pillow case onto the white writing on a dark shirt and the remover got it right out.  The oxyclean should work, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atomic mary
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006 06:50:47 AM »

oh rostitchery! i tried the oxyclean, left it in my bathtub over night and it doesn't seem to have worked! i don't know if i used enough of the oxyclean or if it's just hopeless? i had never used it before and had gotten some off of my mother. she suggested using 3 scoops (6tbsp) but maybe it wasn't enough? i guess i'll try it again, i haven't anything to lose at this point. it's not a good week for dresses for me! i also had a disaster of a time sewing yesterday. i just can't get my waist/bust darts right! anyway, thanks for the suggetion and i'm going to go right back into that bathroom and mix some more up!
atomic mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
runningwithlola
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006 04:26:44 PM »

Try the RIT dye remover, it works well.  I used it just the other day on a shirt I tried to tint light brown but ended up dyeing about the color of tree bark.   Wink  It takes quite a while, you may have to do it twice to get rid of it all, but it works really well - and the rest of the shirt (screenprinted flowers) is fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006 05:28:33 PM »

atomic mary, when i used it for the red dye run, i used about 1/4 cup oxyclean to one gallon water and i left it to soak overnight.  maybe you didn't use enough oxyclean for the amount of water you used???

start another thread and tell me about your darts, i bet there is a solution for the problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atomic mary
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006 08:21:04 PM »

okay, i'm trying again. i don't think i was using enough. when my mom gave it to me she just put it in a ziploc bag and told me to not let the neighbours see her give me a baggie full of white powder.  Roll Eyes. i'm also using a bucket instead of my bathtub. i just thought the dress was so much fabric that it wouldn't fit in a bucket. it does. oh well, this has been a learning experience if nothing else. especially pre wash red bias binding! if the oxyclean doesn't work this time i'll try and find the rit.
thank you everyone
atomic mary
oh yes, i will start a new thread about the darts too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006 07:13:04 AM »

i didn't mean that you should use ONLY one gallon--i meant that i used 1/4 cup oxyclean PER gallon or water.

sorry for being so confusing.

i use a 5-gallon bucket, half full of water, and then put the clothes in. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atomic mary
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006 06:12:48 PM »

it's okay, i knew what you meant rostichery. Smiley i had a four gallon bucket and filled it to the 3 gallon line, used 3/4 cups of oxyclean,left it over night (again) and it still didn't do anything! i think i've given up! on the bright side, i was able to buy more of the fabric! there was just under 3m left so i took it! i asked my boss today if anyone else had bought any of this fabric and she said she was pretty sure it was just me that that bought the whole bolt in bits and pieces! i knew i should've just bought the whole thing when it came in! Tongue oh well. i think i have enough in my pieces to remake the dress and then i can make the few changes i felt it needed! it will be an even better dress! the only thing that i'm unsure of is the #$&*! bias tape. i looked for a different colour, and nothing had the same punch to it. in your opinion, do you think if i washed the bias tape and then put some vinegar in the water that it would set it? or maybe you have another suggestion? i've never made my own and not even sure i want to at this point in my sewing career. i'll get there one day.
thank you again everyone
atomic mary
p.s. i am still going to look for the rit dye remover, i'm just not sure where in this town to find it. it's hard enough finding anywhere that carries the just the dye!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Brown Cow Ice Cream Floats with Abigail Breslin
How to Make a No-Bake Oreo Dirt Cake
How to Make Macaroons
How to Make the Topping for Man Catcher Brownies
How to Make a 6-Layer Coconut Lemon-Filled Cake
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...