A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,795
Currently Running With Scissors:
803 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: checkbook wallet (insane amount of pictures)  (Read 21107 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2006 11:23:31 PM »

so i made a checkbook wallet for nutella for the pink swap and i had a request for a tutorial so here goes. I do believe that there is a similar tutorial somewhere on craftster, but i cant find it now. All of the measurements for this checkbook wallet are based off of a standard american checkbook, 6 inches wide by 3 inches tall, and a quarter of an inch deep.

The original wallet:

Ok so first you start by picking your fabrics, i like to use one fabric for the outside and inside panel, and a contrasting fabric for the two pockets.

Then you cut from the main inside/outside fabric 2 pieces that are 7.5 inches wide by 8 inches tall. From the contrast or pocket fabric cut two pieces that are 7.5 inches wide by 6.5 inches tall. Cut 1 piece of medium weight fusible interfacing 6.5 inches by 7 inches

Take one of your pieces of inside/outside fabric and fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric.

Fold the two pocket pieces in half so that they measure 3.25 inches tall by 7.5 inches wide, iron the fold.

Now lay the interfaced rectangle face up, remember that its 7.5 inches wide by 8 inches tall. Lay the pocket on top of the rectangle matching the raw edge, folded edges towards the middle.

Now place the non interfaced piece right side down on top of the pockets, and pin in place.

Pick which edge you want to be the bottom and dont sew that edge. Sew along the other three sides using a half inch seam allowance and turn right side out.

Now its time to make the closure flap. Cut two small pieces of fabric 2 inches by 3 inches. Place the rectangles right sides together and sew along the two long sides and across the top, leaving the bottom open to turn the flap inside out. Attach your closure, i used a metal snap, you could use velcro, or a button or even one of the magnetic snaps. (Next to the flap is my snap attacher) Now attach the other end of the closure to the back of the wallet. I think there is a better picture of this later.

Now fold over the raw edge of the top of the wallet and press. Center the closing tab in between the front and back of the bottom making sure to lengthen or shorten it to close properly. Pin everything in place

Now its time to sew the raw edge shut, start at one end and work your way to the end of the raw edge, when you get to the corner keep your needle in the down position, lift your presser foot, and turn the wallet, now you will be sewing decorative top stitching around the outside of the wallet, so that it matches your raw edge seam. Use a 1/8th of an inch seam allowance for the decorative stitching. When you are finished stitching the outside of the wallet should look like this:

heres the inside:

and finito!

i hope somebody finds this useful!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007 10:44:36 AM by jMi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006 12:05:34 AM »

oh goodness thats wonderful!. absolutely wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006 12:09:58 AM »

did it take an hour to read  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
wists
stopthefacades
http://jecka.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006 04:05:49 AM »

That's great. I think I'll try making one of these for my mom one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Said he's on his own, but his own is you.

http://jecka.etsy.com
http://4474.blogspot.com
ksew
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006 04:35:27 AM »

That's a great wallet, I love it!  Just as a side note.. when I was reading your tutorial, I noticed therer is an easier way to put in the closure snap flap..  when you lay the last piece of the wallet on top of the pocketed piece, you can lay the closure flap in place between those two pieces, facing the inside of the wallet, and match the raw edges.  Then, when you sew it up, you can sew right across the place where the closure flap is, and leave a small opening / turning right side out hole somewhere else, so that when you are ready to do the topstitching, you don't have to finagle with getting the flap in there correctly.. its a bit easier that way..
but anyway, dont want to sabbotage your tute or post, I really LOVE your wallet!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thisisserious
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006 05:23:25 AM »

Ah this is amazing. Thank you for posting this!

Also, I was thinking the same thing as ksew in regards to the closure flap. It would probably make the topstitching easier because you wouldn't have to worry about the flap.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006 11:04:14 AM »

the reason i leave a whole side is so that i can get my hand in there and push the corners out and make sure everything is even and straight, sometimes when i sew my three sides and turn it inside out the pockets dont line up or i sewed it a little too small or big. Leaving a whole side open makes it easy to keep flipping it inside and outside. But yeah you can sew it together any way you want!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
wists
island-princess
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006 11:33:06 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial. I really like your design and fabric.

island-princes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
refuse2bdefined

Am I beautiful? Am I usable?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006 11:47:23 AM »

That is so cute! I have one of those snap things too. And I don't know how to use it. I threw the instructions out.  Angry

The fabrics are really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hold me and tell me "We'll burn like stars. We'll burn as we fall. Watch as city lights dance for us."

http://RefuseToBeDefined.etsy.com

http://refuse2bdefined.livejournal.com
Impshlady

I wish i had eight arms...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006 01:42:04 PM »

This is fantastic! i love the fabric. i was just searching for wallet tutes the other day....thanks very much! Cheesy

Leah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Aaron Koblin on His Data Visualization Projects
How to Apply Werewolf Face Details
Top 5 Logo Mistakes
How to Arrange Your Photos in Photoshop Elements
Review of Card Readers for Digital Cameras
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...