A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,431
Currently Running With Scissors:
377 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dangerous yarn? Or, can yarn kill? (aside from hanging people with it of course)  (Read 944 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: June 20, 2006 03:29:01 PM »

I hid this ? in a different post, but it didn't get a response, so I'm trying on a dedicated post Smiley

I picked up some way cheap yarn at a rummage sale.  It's really old, and 100% acrylic.  The band says (I believe) orion acrylic and it's "guaranteed moth-proof forever".  This "feature" is courtesy of the Dupont company.

This sounds a little...scary to me.  Obviously it's been through some sort of chemical treatment, and the yarn is from the asbestos era.  And I haven't seen this on any new yarn....but then, I'm sure the science behind moth balls has significantly advanced since then.

So the question is, has any clothing moth-proof treatment ever been deamed dangerous for use?  I mean, I don't want to go making something wearable from something with the serious potential to cause cancer. 

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006 04:54:51 PM »

It is possible that since the yarn was made during an era when that fiber was relatively new, it was simply an advertising feature... I believe that acrylic, being synthetic, is inherintly mothproof.  It is also possible that an insecticide was applied, but it would be hard to say.  Either way, I don't think I've ever heard of yarn being linked to cancer.

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006 05:19:31 PM »

yeah, I wouldn't worry, 100% acrylic yarn has no appeal for moths anyway.
They don't like plastic.

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006 06:12:53 PM »

I don't think they would need to apply any sort of insecticide at all. Moths don't eat plastic.

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns

Fear the small, cute ones... >)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006 06:31:20 PM »

I dun think so, like the other's were saying it's probably because of the plastic. 

For that mater, there's A TON of stuff that people are saying links to cancer (everything from hair dye, to french fries, salad dressing and nail polish)  *shrugs*  Iunno, personally until they give me a 100% guarantee that this and this causes cancer, I'm just blowing it off.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006 08:14:06 PM »

Thanks guys.  I normally wouldn't be worried and I take those cancer warning things with a grain of salt, but since I've already had cancer (I'm only 23), I didn't want to go WEARING something that was known to cause it, know what I mean? 

Thanks again.  Didn't know that acrylic doesn't attract moths.  not that I have a moth problem, but that's good to know Smiley
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006 08:34:01 PM »

my grandmom had some of that in the basement, i made a hat with it

but before i used it i decided to look it up... its just acrylic
I am cute little bunny. I pose no threat to society

It's hard to work in groups when you're omnipotent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006 09:27:20 PM »

For that mater, there's A TON of stuff that people are saying links to cancer (everything from hair dye, to french fries, salad dressing and nail polish)  *shrugs*  Iunno, personally until they give me a 100% guarantee that this and this causes cancer, I'm just blowing it off.

You know, I had a physics professor once who pointed out that even you went and lived in a shack in the woods growing and making all your own stuff, there was still a slight chance of developing cancer from the trace amount of radiation present in the human body.  That was a disturbing semester...

Orlon was a brand name of acrylic made by DuPont back in the 60s, I think.  The moth-proofness was probably just a marketing thing rather than an additional treatment.  Unless you go to your local chem lab and break it down into some of the component substances, I don't think the cancer chance would be that high Wink

Sleep beckons. Also waves. Also makes threatening gestures and hops up and down until I notice. - Neil Gaiman

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006 07:36:14 AM »

I know nothing about what chemicals are harmful, but I CAN tell you that there are present-day yarns that claim to be moth-proof, such as JaggerSpun.

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Futurist Films
The Muse of Barry Ptolemy
The Morality of Filming South African Vineyards
Photoshop CS5 Beta Review
Censorship and Slashers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family
Meatless Monday: Guava Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...