A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dangerous yarn? Or, can yarn kill? (aside from hanging people with it of course)  (Read 766 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starlight1221
« on: June 20, 2006 03:29:01 PM »

I hid this ? in a different post, but it didn't get a response, so I'm trying on a dedicated post Smiley

I picked up some way cheap yarn at a rummage sale.  It's really old, and 100% acrylic.  The band says (I believe) orion acrylic and it's "guaranteed moth-proof forever".  This "feature" is courtesy of the Dupont company.

This sounds a little...scary to me.  Obviously it's been through some sort of chemical treatment, and the yarn is from the asbestos era.  And I haven't seen this on any new yarn....but then, I'm sure the science behind moth balls has significantly advanced since then.

So the question is, has any clothing moth-proof treatment ever been deamed dangerous for use?  I mean, I don't want to go making something wearable from something with the serious potential to cause cancer. 

Thanks! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006 04:54:51 PM »

It is possible that since the yarn was made during an era when that fiber was relatively new, it was simply an advertising feature... I believe that acrylic, being synthetic, is inherintly mothproof.  It is also possible that an insecticide was applied, but it would be hard to say.  Either way, I don't think I've ever heard of yarn being linked to cancer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
ysolda
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006 05:19:31 PM »

yeah, I wouldn't worry, 100% acrylic yarn has no appeal for moths anyway.
They don't like plastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006 06:12:53 PM »

I don't think they would need to apply any sort of insecticide at all. Moths don't eat plastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
-Keiko-

Fear the small, cute ones... >)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006 06:31:20 PM »

I dun think so, like the other's were saying it's probably because of the plastic. 

For that mater, there's A TON of stuff that people are saying links to cancer (everything from hair dye, to french fries, salad dressing and nail polish)  *shrugs*  Iunno, personally until they give me a 100% guarantee that this and this causes cancer, I'm just blowing it off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlight1221
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006 08:14:06 PM »

Thanks guys.  I normally wouldn't be worried and I take those cancer warning things with a grain of salt, but since I've already had cancer (I'm only 23), I didn't want to go WEARING something that was known to cause it, know what I mean? 

Thanks again.  Didn't know that acrylic doesn't attract moths.  not that I have a moth problem, but that's good to know Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frogsrock
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006 08:34:01 PM »

my grandmom had some of that in the basement, i made a hat with it

but before i used it i decided to look it up... its just acrylic
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inara
I am cute little bunny. I pose no threat to society

It's hard to work in groups when you're omnipotent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006 09:27:20 PM »

For that mater, there's A TON of stuff that people are saying links to cancer (everything from hair dye, to french fries, salad dressing and nail polish)  *shrugs*  Iunno, personally until they give me a 100% guarantee that this and this causes cancer, I'm just blowing it off.

You know, I had a physics professor once who pointed out that even you went and lived in a shack in the woods growing and making all your own stuff, there was still a slight chance of developing cancer from the trace amount of radiation present in the human body.  That was a disturbing semester...

Orlon was a brand name of acrylic made by DuPont back in the 60s, I think.  The moth-proofness was probably just a marketing thing rather than an additional treatment.  Unless you go to your local chem lab and break it down into some of the component substances, I don't think the cancer chance would be that high Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sleep beckons. Also waves. Also makes threatening gestures and hops up and down until I notice. - Neil Gaiman

http://effulgentstudios.etsy.com
http://inara-knits.blogspot.com
natashafatale

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006 07:36:14 AM »

I know nothing about what chemicals are harmful, but I CAN tell you that there are present-day yarns that claim to be moth-proof, such as JaggerSpun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Control Curly Hair
Short-Hair Shortcuts
Vanessa Hudgens Wavy Hair Tutorial
How to Do a Formal Hair Get-Up
How to Create The Hive Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...