A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Iron on, white background?  (Read 1460 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

silencepainter
« on: July 29, 2004 12:57:43 PM »

This might be a silly question, but I need to know!

I've been planing on making a messenger bag and putting some iron on transfers on to it.  One of the images I want to use, is black on white.  So I would NEED the transfer paper to be white.  Is this how transfer paper is normaly? Or is it transparent?  Or does there tend to be both and I just need to watch what type I buy?

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004 08:08:14 PM »

Normal transfer paper is basically kind of whitish-clear. It really is only effective when ironed on to white or light backgrounds --- if the image is coloured, the colours will only show accurately on near-white fabric, or if the image is b/w, you can go a few shades darker with the background. Remember that your printer ink is dark --- you can't print white ink on black paper with your standard ink jet printer.

I'm a little confused by your question, so I'll give the answers to both possible interpretations of what you asked:

If your background fabric is white, a normal transfer will work perfectly --- print the dark areas, and you'll be fine.

If your fabric is black, a transfer won't show up at all. You can either inset a panel of white fabric into whatever you're making, or you can use another technique (say, stencilling) using white paint to create the image.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004 08:29:21 PM »

they actually make a transfer paper for black and dark fabric. Its white to start and what you do is you print on it like paper you dont need to reverse it. then you peel it off and iron it on to what ever you want it on, t-shirt bag etc. its aesome. I made my husband 5 thirts with this stuff for his birthday and it came out AWESOME! because its more like a decal. you just have to remember to turn it inside out when you wash it.
*h
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silencepainter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004 12:11:34 PM »

Thank you both.

Hillarybillary... that is exactly what I was hoping for! 

I just realized the image I'm wanting to transfer on to a black bag is my icon here.  Talk about scatter brained... lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DieselEssence

anti-distinctly-minty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004 01:58:52 PM »

i've used those 'for dark surfaces' transfers too and they worked out really nicely for me as well.  just be careful to wash it really gently.  your icon will turn out really well on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deChez
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005 07:18:54 AM »

If your bag is fabric, you might want to consider using a "print on cotton" and sewing your design onto the bag.

This is great stuff...I use it for denim bags. It washes very nicely. You can get it at Dharma Trading (actually, they have print on silk and muslin too). Because the fabric is already treated, it's completely washable.

Here's my humble advice, should you try it.

1.  When the fabric comes out the the printer, peel the paper off immediately.

2. Let it dry for 24 hours (I know...that's a tough one for me too because I'm very impatient but, I learned this one the hard way!).

3. Put the fabric in a bowl or basin of cold water to wash off any excess ink.

4. Get the excess water out by pressing it between 2 towels (or one folded towel) with your hands.

5. Iron it with a fairly hot iron to get all the moisture out.

If I'm using a pic that doesn't have any borders, and I'm going to applique it to an item rather than make it a panel in an item, I like to print my design with a very light gray unfilled box/line around it (if you're using something like microsoft word, use 25% gray). That way, when I get to the point where I want to press a "hem" around it, I can get an even, straight hem.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lhhgbh

Over 180 Different Countries

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005 07:27:54 AM »

Its funny because the advice may be too late.. Many of these posts are over a year old!!! its funny, but maybe the people who ask these questions that have been unanswered for over a year still check from time to time?Huh lol.. just funny to me thats all.. i too have answered old posts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help end wars and hunger, sport a funny T-Shirt!
http://www.such-a-tees.com
Over 180 Different Countries To Show Off Your Pride!!
http://www.flagpridet-shirts.com
deChez
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005 07:38:55 AM »

LOL...until you posted that reply, I never thought to look at the date of the original post! Oh well...hope it helps somebody else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Squab Lettuce Wrap
Beijing Chicken Recipe
How to Make Indian Chai
The Traditional Chinese Tofu Making Process
How Tofu is Made
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...