A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,473
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Possible considerations.  (Read 1395 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

Methinks it is like a woozle.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2004 12:52:09 PM »

Now, overdividing Craftster and causing many, many issues for our wonderful Admin is not a good idea and so I'm not going to say you "should" do anything.  I just offer for consideration two ideas:

A board for polymer clay.  Once I get my camera up and working again (it's been out for a year now but -should- return to service next week, though I'm crossing my fingers here) I know I'd have plenty to post, from different types of canes I've made (complete with tutorials) to covered altoids boxes to charms and beads to plain sculpture.  Running a search on polymer clay brings up eleven pages of results, mainly from Miscellaneous or Trinkets, so it might be handy to stick them all in one place.

Idea numero dos: should this thread http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=9365.msg72819#msg72819 proove successful, it might be handy to create a Sewalong board as the seamstresses' answer to the Knitalong section.  I know the sewalong brainstorm thread here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=9268.0 has already seen suggestions for other sewalongs, and I've got a few patterns myself I wouldn't mind working on with the assistance of a Craftster group (Simplicity 5093, anyone?).

If it's more handy to leave things where they are, of course, then please do.   I'm just a bored college student offering up an idea or two in hopes of somehow being a positive contribution to the Craftster community.

Dang camera.  Smiley

That said, I wanted to give my personal thanks to Leah and all the people who have worked to make Craftster the remarkable entity it is.  Rest assured you are loved the world over. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004 11:43:56 AM »

Well, I definitely agree with you about the polymer clay board!  Grin

If a polymer board doesn't happen here though, you might want to check out the other polymer groups which are already online, as well as checking here (I read about 5 boards per day myself... most are polymer-only).
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/groups--online2.htm

Another reason to have a polymer-only board here is that finding polymer-related posts is pretty difficult now.   For one thing, most newbies don't even know that the clay they're referring to is "polymer" clay.  They simply refer to it as Sculpey or Fimo (or Premo or Kato), and don't realize that those are all just brands of polymer clay...

And . . . I'm VERY interested in your photos and especially tutorials (see website in my signature Wink ).  Or do I already know you by another name in the polymer community?

Diane B.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008 12:10:01 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004 07:13:04 PM »

Nah, I'm not too active community-wise.  Mostly you'd find me on Livejournal (though I watch the polymer clay groups, and haven't posted) or here.  The issue with my camera is now resolved, but it seems most my actual polymer work has long migrated away on a sea of friends and customers. 

Still, camera!  The problem was actually with the USB port on my (old) laptop... and so my boyfriend built me a new computer for free.  Geek.  Still, once I get some time (weekends!), I'll be much more productive and ready to fill any potential clay board (as well as contribute a bit more to other areas of Craftster).  Perhaps I'll check out other polymer clay groups online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004 09:56:02 PM »

a BORED college student? Wow, this gives me hope that I won't be totally swamped with homework!

I love the sewalong board idea. (Im not too into polymer clay, but good idea for that thread, too.. The only time I use it is when I have to come up with something to give to my dad for christmas. I know there are at least a few people on here that are into clay)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004 06:31:41 AM »

I too would be very interested in a polymer clay board.  I had also thought of suggesting a cake sculpture/decorating board in the Food section but unsure how many out there are active in this art as well.

Barbi

PS Diane-  I love glass attic and have referred to it many times!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004 05:46:35 PM »

a BORED college student? Wow, this gives me hope that I won't be totally swamped with homework!

Only during the summer, I fear.  Right now I'm slacking off from three chapters or so for three different classes, two papers, and umpteen problems... and it's only the second week.   I'm a science major, however, and tend to take heavy loads.

I know half a dozen things I'd like to do on a sew-along board... well, when I have excess time, that is.  Living for the weekends here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

unlikely_redhead
don't give me anythign sharp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004 08:06:07 PM »

oh!! yes i'd lvoe a polymer clay forum. i tried to see if anyone else fooled around, but  few took notice: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=9035.0
and captain riley, i'd LOVE to see your canes!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pessimism: because i'd rather be pleasently surprised than horribly disapointed
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Italian Sausage Hoagies
Ham Sandwich Recipe
PB&J Bagel Sandwich Recipe
Turkey Sandwich Recipe
Southern-Favorite Hummingbird Cookies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...