A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyeing with Dylon vs. RIT  (Read 23815 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

runningwithlola
« on: June 20, 2006 11:37:39 AM »

I have about 5 yards of terrycloth I want to dye.  I'm making babywipes, with cute flannel on one side, and terry on the other.  I want to make sure the colors are very permanent since I can't disassemble them again and redye the terry, so I'm going to try using Dylon for the first time - and I have a few questions.

- Is Dylon like RIT, in that I can use less dye or keep the fabric in for less time, and get a lighter color?

- I find that I never, ever, have to leave my fabric in the RIT dye for the time it recommends to get the color I want - usually FAR less.  Is this also true of Dylon?

- Anyone had success with mixing colors of Dylon to create a custom color?  I'm trying to get a yummy golden yellowy-orange tangerine color, but the only colors at the store from which I could create that were a plain yellow and red.  I'm going to try some test swatches today.

- Does it fade?  At all?  I'm asking b/c if so, I will dye the colors a bit darker than I would otherwise.
Also, does the color change a lot when you rinse it til clear?  I've noticed that the color of RIT becomes significantly lighter as I rinse it and dry the fabric.  I'm wondering if Dylon is the same.

Just looking for others' experiences and advice.
Thanks.  Any answers to any of this will likely save me quite a bit of time and money!  Always a good thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006 07:34:42 AM »

i dislike RIT so much that i won't even stock it in my shop.  Smiley  the only time we use RIT is for nylon. 

i could go into the chemistry of it but the basic point is that RIT is a union dye and is only appropriate for a small range of fibers.  terry cloth is usually cotton, and RIT is NOT appropriate for this fiber.

dylon is a fiber reactive dye and is permanent, washfast, lightfast, IF PROCESSED APPROPRIATELY.

you can mix it to get custom colors but you'll need to do swatches and make notes so you can reproduce your colors in larger batches.

but--dylon is expensive by weight.  i recommend you use a procion MX dye instead because you can mix it more directly and it is much more controllable.  go to the dharma trading company website to get information, and give them a call because their support people are very knowledgeable and helpful.

if you are on the east coast, you might prefer to use pro chem, they are closer so the shipping is sometimes cheaper but they are not as touchy-feelly as dharma, more technical.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
ma2maya
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006 10:43:10 AM »

Are speaking f the Dylon multi-purpose dye that is carried in most craft stores(Joans etc). If you are, then it is also a union dye(as rostitchery mentioned) and is just like RIT. But Dylon does make a cold water dye, wh/ is a type of fiber reactive dye. They used to carry it in the craft stores but now all I see are Rit and Dylon Multi-purpose dyes Roll Eyes

All that being said, go for the mx dyes. If you don't want to make a life project out of dyeing and keep a bunch on hand, most better art supply stores carry the small retail size(leass than 2 oz) containers of jacquards mx dyes. But if you think you would like to maybe have some on hand for random dye projects in the future, get a slightly larger quantity at Dharma or ProChem.

Good basic colors to get if you plan on doing your own color mixing are Magenta(called mixing red at prochem), Lemon Yellow(sun yel. at prochem), Turquoise, and black. Other than the black(wh is good for darkening shades) this palette will give you brighter hues as opposed to deeper more jewel tone hues. Its a good starter palette.  Of course, I personally don't have time in my life or probably the patience to color mix so I just by a variety of colors in addition to basic single-chemical dyes.
 Wink
Kathy

Anyways...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desert Dyeworks Color, meet Fabric!!
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006 02:27:47 PM »

oh yuck, i didn't realize that dylon had gone to union dyes. 

runningwithlola, go for the good stuff, you won't be sorry.  esp. since you're making baby wipes, you want something that will last AND that you don't have to worry about on the baby's skin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
runningwithlola
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006 04:38:39 PM »

Ah, thanks for the information, I really appreciate it.

I did end up going over to my grandma's the other day and making some test swatches, but I ran out of dye so I never dyed any of the actual yardage.

Now that I've read this great information, I will not be using the Dylon from Hobby Lobby - it is a multipurpose dye and I really need something that's known to be permanent, so I will wait (*sigh*) and not succumb to the desire for instant gratification (not due til Dec./Jan. anyway), and order some of the pro mx dye.

I did order a paper catalog from Pro Chem b/c I don't trust their color chart on the puter.  They have so many colors, I'm sure I can order the two colors I really want and not have to worry any more about swatches.

Some info I discovered while messing with the Dylon:

- unlike RIT, you really do need to let it soak in that color the entire recommended time.  I noticed that otherwise, it was a little blotchy and uneven, no matter what.

- so in order to get a lighter color with Dylon, you shouldn't let it soak less, but rather dilute the dye to the desired level.  If you can't swatch with extra fabric, just dilute the hell out of that dye and then you will maybe end up dyeing it several times to get the full color, but 'tis worth it.

I did get some really beautiful colors, using Sunflower and Poppy Red mixed, so even though they don't look like they'd create something pretty together from the package, they definitely do.  Beautiful sunset-y shades of pinks and oranges.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
secretlondon
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007 05:37:01 PM »

Dylon make different ranges. They have a multipurpose dye, a cold water dye, a hand dye and washing machine dyes. I'm in the UK and I've no idea which ranges are regularly stocked in Us craft stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007 04:51:26 AM »

Dylon does make a few different types of dyes but the ones that I mostly see in the craft stores over here are called Dylon Permanent fabric dye and they are indeed Fiber Reactive dyes. They're a one step dye with the soda ash included, and they only dye 8oz per packet, so as rostitchery stated, they're definitely not economical, but they are Fiber Reactive dyes.

"Dylon Multi purpose" is the union dye
"Dylon cold water dye" is the fiber reactive dye without soda ash
"Dylon Permanent Fabric Dye" Is the fiber reactive dye with the soda ash already in it

So far, the only Dylon dye that I've seen carried at the big box craft supply stores is the Dylon permanent fabric dye.

Hope that clears everything up

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007 05:44:14 AM »

Well I was going to try dying some cotton yarn .. but RIT won't work?  I've never dyed anything other than muslim for table cloths before ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007 06:14:03 AM »

Well I was going to try dying some cotton yarn .. but RIT won't work?  I've never dyed anything other than muslim for table cloths before ...

hah! Im sorry, I found that amusing.. you mean muslin?. I imagine muslims might get a bit testy if you try sticking them in a dye vat...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007 06:51:49 AM »

hah! Im sorry, I found that amusing.. you mean muslin?. I imagine muslims might get a bit testy if you try sticking them in a dye vat...

err .. spelling good! ... *blush* .. yeah .. the fabric.  I don't generally dye people .. certainly not in dye vats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Your London Olympics Shopping Guide
How to Spot Fake Designer Clothes
StyleLikeU Finds from All Around the Globe
L*Space By Monica Wise 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week, Miami Beach
Red Carter 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...