A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: brother's moving...  (Read 1507 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

motoredxheart
« on: June 20, 2006 10:05:39 AM »

my brother got accepted to grad school at university of kentucky, yey!  but my brother isn't exactly social, so i was wondering if some of you who live around there could tell me some great places to go around the campus?  i'm going to go up there with him and attempt to help him find things to do there.
he's obcessed with books so some bookstores, craft stores, music, food, etc. would be great.
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bad714
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006 07:58:57 PM »

Congrats to your brother!  I live in Louisville KY and go to grad school there, so sorry i don't know anything about UK.  He might want to check out www.lexingtonmojo.c om.  (we have a site for Louisville).  Its a social site, that has a bit of everything.  Lots of people use it as a dating service; but theres groups and forums for every different interest out there.  Mojo sponsors events around town; and people with similar hobbies get together for things like pub quizzes, games, chess, darts, or anything else.  Just an idea.  Best of luck to him, and what a great sister you are! ~ beth
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corbeau64
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006 05:56:52 AM »

If he's a bookstore person, I highly suggest searching out Joseph-Beth booksellers. It's indie (Yes, Virginia, they do exist!) and it's huge. I wish I could give specific directions for you, but I'm in the situation you are: a sibling is in Lexington, not me. Also, I suggest taking a walk aroung Transylvania University, there are some fun thing to do around there, and it's right up Broadway from UK.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
motoredxheart
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006 07:39:41 AM »

thank you for your help guys!  i'll check out the website today and i'm sure my brother will check out that bookstore the second we get there.  when i found out about transylvania university i wanted to visit, i hope we get to lol.   Smiley
thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corbeau64
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006 05:47:43 AM »

Transy is pretty great. It's the oldest University this side of the Appalachians, and it's got one of the early professors buried in one of the buildings! (I can think of nothing cooler. The building is Old Morrison Hall, It faces 3rd st and Gratts Park). Also, John Hunt Morgan's (as in Morgan's Raiders) house is right down Broadway from Transy.

My favorites as far as social stuff goes, though, is 3rd St. Stuff, a very funky little coffee shop w/in walking distance of TU (but they do have they're own parking lot) and Jonk, a vintage store that's also really close.

That's all I know, butI'll be sure to do some more questioning of my sister. She might have some more ideas to help your brother get acclimated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mathgirl
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006 09:38:40 AM »

There used to be a GREAT indie record store called CD Central across from the north campus dorms at UK.  There were a few coffee shops in the area directly north of UK when I was there. but I don't remember the names - I haven't been back to Lexington in a few years and my memories are fading.  Embarrassed

Good luck to your brother.....UK is a great place. I wish I had stayed there for grad school. What is he studying?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Love, Burlesque, Tangled, & King
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Harry Potter & The Next Three Days
Harry Potter Cast Secrets: 10 Things You May Not Know
How Students of the World Develops Documentary Filmmakers
How to Film and Edit Green Screen Video
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...