A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Teacups?  (Read 960 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kamithina
« on: July 29, 2004 10:54:32 AM »

I found this pattern for a knit tea set:

http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/pdf_files/FiestaTeaSet.pdf

Does anyone know of a crochet pattern for teacups or has anyone created their own crochet teacup pattern? Smiley  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004 11:22:48 AM »

Now bear in mind that I can barely single crochet, so I may not know what I'm talking about at all here, but here's what I'd do.

If you look at those tea cups, they're pretty much cylinders, so start with the bottom of the cup, make a disk - I know this is pretty standard stuff for crocheting, but I've never done it.  I think you make a really short chain, join it into a circle, then crochet around and around, always increasing enough to keep the resulting circle flat.
Once it's as big as you want the bottom of your cup to be, start going around and around, crocheting only one stitch into each stitch, to make straight up and down sides.  Maybe throw in a row of a different color every now and then for stripes.  Once it's as tall as you want, tie it off (ok, not really sure about how you're supposed to do this, but I know there's a special way so that you don't get a little bump at the end).  then, say half an inch down from the top, stick your hook in and start a chain from there.  make it long enough to be your handle, then magically connect it ,again say half an inch up from the bottom of the cup, in a straight line down from where it started.  this is your handle.  if it's too flimsy, sc back up it. 

That's my suggestion.  hope it made some kind of sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kamithina
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004 11:49:47 AM »

Yes, that makes sense.  I'm not terribly good and coming up with my own patterns, unless it's a necessary improvision, but I can make almost any crochet pattern you give me.  I was thinking of working it with two strands so it would be more stiff and then putting a kind of round lid on it (or in it) that is coffee or tea colored.  Then, if I make it big enough, I can put tea bags inside of it and give it as a gift with some cookies or something.  Just a thought. Roll Eyes

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to come up with something!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
Kamithina
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004 08:44:48 AM »

Apparently, I was wrong.  I CAN think of ideas!  I'm in a hurry, so I'll just copy over what I posted at www.crochetme.com:

I am all finished with my teacup now, but I have to get a hold of a camera to post pictures. The majority of the teacup is the pattern I mentioned at www.yarntomato.com (THANK YOU, YARN TOMATO!). The lid is basically the pieces for the bottom of the same pattern worked in tan. Then on the inside of the basket pattern right below the rim of it I worked a row of single crochet all around the inside to hold the lid up better (my husband's idea). I basically did the handle (minus the glue) as Jen suggested. And finally I crocheted a white chain and attached it to a little white square and attached this to the tan lid to look like a tea bag tag. I wish I could post photos RIGHT NOW, but I can't. Sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Hair for an Oval Face
How to Cut Curly Hair for a Round Face
Perfect Haircut For My Face: Trish Fermin - Oval Face Straight Hair
Hair Extensions For Fine Hair
Volumizing Limp Locks
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...