A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How many stores?  (Read 1566 times)
Tags for this thread: consignment  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eakircher

gimme your garbage

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2004 07:15:19 AM »

I'm ready to start selling my stuff.  I'm looking for stores to put it in, but I'm wondering, how many stores?  Is it good to get your items in as many stores as possible or limit where you put it?  What about online stores?  Has anyone had success consigning with online stores?  
Are there any resources you have heard of that might help me read more about this?

Thanks for all your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danakk
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004 03:04:13 PM »

Rather than how many stores, I would suggest you first ask yourself how many pieces of your stuff you can make each month. Plot that out on a graph or calendar that you tie to delivery dates on orders as they roll. Once you know how many you can make right now ,you'll be better able to start answering some of the next questions, like are you making enough money and how far to push sales in one area. How many stores and how far apart is based on what you make and your price range.

Dana
THIS ROCKS   Logged

plainmabel
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004 05:38:27 PM »

That's really good advice, Dana!  (Excellent site, too -- love your bags!!)

Online consignment does work for a lot of people -- I run a small online consignment shop and, especially at Christmas time, almost all of my consigners did quite well.  Keep in mind when you're consigning to charge enough for your items so that you cover your costs b/c most consignments are a 60:40 split (60% of retail going to you).

As for number of stores, get yourself out there to any number as long as you feel they are a good fit with your work (so you know it'll sell and so it supports your brand rather than makes you look bad by selling there) and that you feel comfortable working with.  There are tons and tons of stores out there, so find the ones that suit you and seem best to work with -- and distance yourself from those that have shady practices, contracts full of loopholes, or the type of merchandise you don't want your work associated with.  I think you can go with as many stores as you have merchandise for -- and make it clear to these stores how often you can provide more work if requested (so no one asks you for something you can't fulfill).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plain Mabel :: Extraordinary Gifts and Accessories
Awful Cufflinks :: Everyday stuff, just better.
Goddess
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004 06:17:32 PM »

I would start out in one location, see how your items sell and what kind of response you get, then branch out. You really don't want to spread yourself too thin to begin with. Best of luck to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eakircher

gimme your garbage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004 05:31:00 AM »

thanks for the advice girls.  i really appreciate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bewitched

grab your glitter and your glue gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2004 07:28:44 PM »

I would start out in one location, see how your items sell and what kind of response you get, then branch out. You really don't want to spread yourself too thin to begin with. Best of luck to you.

you also want to make sure that you don't oversaturate an area. i'm looking into selling my things locally - i live in an area that gets a decent amount of tourist traffic in 3 specific areas: the historic downtown area and two beaches that are about 30 miles apart. my plan is to find one store in each area to carry my products.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cast your spell... bewitched bath & body
http://www.bewitchedbubbles.com
Goddess
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004 12:17:00 AM »

a lot of places will not carry your stuff, if another store in the same area  carries it. Exclusivity is important
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eakircher

gimme your garbage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004 09:03:41 AM »

a lot of places will not carry your stuff, if another store in the same area  carries it. Exclusivity is important

What about online stores?  Does exclusivity matter there too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brian Jennings Talks About Censorship
Under the Dome Book Trailer
An Interview with Michael Yapko
Julia DeVillers Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Amy Reed Talks About Beautiful
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...