A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 301,515
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poynton  (Read 985 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Smurfette

lemonlimedesign.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2004 07:38:05 AM »

Hi everyone Smiley

I just thought I'd post here because I have plans to move to England in the not to distant future  Grin I'm in the US right now.

I'm extremely happy about the move (hubby is there) but I have to admit I will miss having access to so many craft/fabric stores and yardsales.

I'm going to be moving to the Poynton area....do you guys know where that is?

I've heard alot about boot sales.Are they pretty much everywhere or are they hard to find?Do you have estate sales?Ya know like when an older person passes the family opens the house and sells their stuff?I'm an antique dealer also so I'm hoping that I will find some way to continue finding things.

I've been thinking about bringing or shipping as much fabric and craft supplies as I can so that I won't feel lost and craftless when I get there.

I've asked my husband about getting fabrics and stuff but being a guy he isn't to aware of places I could go to get new and used stuff.

Anyway.....nice to meet you all  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not yet seen

http://lemonlimedesign.etsy.com
lucy_uk
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004 11:05:33 AM »

Hiya Smurfette,

So you are going to be moving to this lovely island of ours  Grin I am afraid that as you probably know crafting does not seem to be as big here in England as it seems to be in the US!

I'm afraid I hadn't heard of Poynton but I have looked and it seems to be in Cheshire??? Is that the one? I don't know that area myself as I am in Leicester which is in the midlands but I am pretty sure one of the lovely gals on here will be able to help you out with regards local shops and events etc.

There are no 'chain' type fabric stores in the UK like you seem to have JoAnn's etc. They tend to be local shops or local chains, I think there is one in the North, have a look through this England board and you should find mention of it.

Car boot sales seem to be everywhere (in Leicester anyway) so there are some treasures to be found I am sure, these are usually just advertised locally and on sign posts and such. As for estate sales we don't tend to have too many of those, in fact I have never heard of any, there are people that do House Clearance as a business but that type of thing isn't advertised to the general public. There are a lot of charity shops in the UK so you might be able to find some stuff there.

Blimely this is getting long sorry, yeah guys aren't too useful about know about fabric unfortunately  Sad If I was  you I would definately bring as much fabric as you can, there seems to be lots more variety for you guys (after looking at US websites) here the choice is limited.

I hope this helps a little, I am sure the rest of the UK gals will help you out with other ideas, this was all i could think of at the minute!  Cheesy Good luck and keep us posted with the progress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coming soon.... Gorgeous modern handmade greeting cards & other goodies...
http://www.dottyrocks.com
lucy_uk
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004 11:07:57 AM »

me again...  Cheesy Found the thread I was talking about: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=1224.0 - that is the area you are going to be in (if I have the right Poynton) so it should be useful  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coming soon.... Gorgeous modern handmade greeting cards & other goodies...
http://www.dottyrocks.com
neany

So let your hips do the talking

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004 07:22:35 PM »

There's the chain of shops called Hobbycraft! They can be a little expensive, but they have mod podge, knitting stuff, uh, I'm a bit brain dead tonight, but they have a lot of stuff.

I find fabric really limited here and now it seems like Ikea is dumping their fabric department it looks like I'm going to have even less choice! But you can find really nice (but pricey) fabrics in John Lewis, there seems to be one in a lot of cities now so it's worth looking there.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smurfette

lemonlimedesign.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004 06:46:43 PM »

thanks guys Smiley

everything is on hold with the move.I have a 13 year old daughter that was extremely excited about living there 1/2 the year and 1/2 the year here with her Dad  but as it became more real she started to freak out about not seeing me for months at a time.

I would miss her like crazy too.......sigh!

My hubby may end up moving back here instead Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not yet seen

http://lemonlimedesign.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Quartz Composure - Pixelmator
How to Create Godzilla - Pixelmator
How to Create a Blurred Background - Pixelmator
How to Create a Glossy Menu - Pixelmator
How to Create Wavy Lines - Illustrator
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...