A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How RUDE! Knitting comment in Glamour Magazine  (Read 1954 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aschnebly
I'm AliceKathryn on Ravelry :)

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2006 03:25:06 PM »

I was looking through the new July issue of Glamour magazine and came across a little section with reader quotes entitled, "The bad habit I won't quit" (p. 107)

From one Chicago woman:

Implying that knitting is worse than chewing on the insides of her cheeks... ewww.  I'm sure she was trying to be funny but still...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilfishyinbigblu
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006 03:29:05 PM »

that is ridiculous, i would MUCH rather knit than chew the insides of my cheeks!
people can be so thoughless of other peoples activity's some times.
Jane
THIS ROCKS   Logged
another
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006 03:30:32 PM »

Ever since I was laughed at for days on end after applying a magazine-suggested mixture of milk and lime juice to my face (apparently, such a mixture results in cheese, thus the endless rounds of laughter I had to endure from my know-it-all mother), I've decided never to take anything written in magazines seriously again.

So if a magazine tells you knitting sucks, you better believe it doesn't.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006 03:13:22 AM by another » THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006 03:42:37 PM »

Ah, don't you just love humans who speak without ever bothering to think?

She was probably convinced that people would find her hilarious...she just comes off as brainless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

devilninny

isnt he adorable?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006 04:01:34 PM »

craftster should submit an official statement.  then again, glamour sucks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

discoprincess
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006 04:37:30 PM »

*sigh*

i knit for myself, not to impress other people.

maybe they printed it becasue they all knit and she offended them....hahah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No, I was merely reading the Muggle magazines. I do love knitting patterns.
-- Dumbledore

Ravelry: disco
arsenic_girl
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006 06:40:05 PM »

Maybe she means "nobody wants that" as in she used to be a knitter, and she went crazy with it and everyone got really awful sweaters and had to endure her knitting talks.

She's also probably not the one who put the "nobody" instead of "nobody".

I personally wouldn't like a group of crafting ladies bitching about an opinion of mine online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MoonLightbliss33

Knitting Love <3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006 06:52:08 PM »

wow some people can be such idiots
I mean im normally a knitter but one day i brought my crotcheting to school and i kept getting called an old granny!!

i hate the reputations knitters get Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006 06:58:18 PM »

I like how knitting ranks up there with drinking and smoking. Very witty. I guess I'll have to become a chronic smoker and an alchoholic now. (i do chew the insides of my cheeks... )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
aliastriona_angerboda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006 07:00:08 PM »

I personally wouldn't like a group of crafting ladies bitching about an opinion of mine online.

She talked to the magazine.  She wanted people to pay attention to her opinion.  We are in no way required to agree with her...we have opinions, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arsenic_girl
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006 07:05:06 PM »

She talked to the magazine.  She wanted people to pay attention to her opinion.  We are in no way required to agree with her...we have opinions, too.

Eh I don't mind if people are just saying that they think this was a careless thing to say, or that they completely disagree, but calling the woman an idiot?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliastriona_angerboda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006 07:08:17 PM »

Alright, fair enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nihiliststar
Meow?

aliastriona steals souls with her camera...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006 07:19:31 PM »

Speaking as someone who has recently (accidentally) bitten the inside of her cheek to the point of alarming bloodflow, I would much rather be addicted to knitting.   Cheesy

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some people use knitting as a way to quit smoking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many things fail to interest us, simply because they don't find in us enough surfaces on which to live, and what we have to do then is to increase the number of planes in our mind, so that a much larger number of themes can find a place in it at the same time.
~ Ortega Y Gasset ~
kraphtee87
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006 07:20:26 PM »

Yah, I get Glamour magazine (yah.. me=loser  Roll Eyes Wink) and I was pretty annoyed with that comment, and I don't even knit!  AND I think calling her an idiot is perfectly fair.  That's an opinion, too.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006 10:00:51 PM »

I can't knit, but I respect those that do! It's an awesome skill!

And when the Y2k bug gets us, they will be warm! Oh wait, that was 6 years ago.... ah well, Y3k!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
cherry blossom

nice head...i think i'll take it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006 10:32:36 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some people use knitting as a way to quit smoking.

i did Smiley

eh, i think maybe her comment was read with a 'bitchy' undertone....perhap s she could have just been saying that she's horrible at crafts...knitting being so popular at the moment, maybe that was the first thing that came to mind. 

or....maybe she was just being stupid Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monalisa_lazysmile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006 03:33:39 AM »

aren't we used to hear insults and remarks about us all the time? i mean, despite the recently growing popularity of knitting a lot of people still think it's only for old and boring people. not that all old people are boring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Been dazed and confused/For so long it's not true
tiffanykapri
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006 07:05:27 AM »

I totally read that as "I could pick up knitting, but I suck at it and everyone would have to recieve terrible knit gifts from me or look at me in odd-fitting sweaters all the time".  I didn't read it as an insult to anyone but herself.  Just my 2cents.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Otherside27~
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006 07:11:29 AM »

I think it was an insult. We should all knit a "knitting rocks" quilt and send it to the magazine and force them to have a 10 page pull out special on the joys of knitting

muhuhahahaha

and on a side note... even if it's knit by a machine there isnt a person ever without at least one knit garment! So the joke's on her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006 07:15:17 AM »

AND I think calling her an idiot is perfectly fair.  That's an opinion, too.  Cheesy

I totally agree. She has the right to voice her opinion about knitting and we have the right to invoke ours about that comment, even if she gets called an idiot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gestalta_Sara
Queen Two Shakes and a Shimmy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006 07:17:22 AM »

Yeah, I wouldnt take too much offence to that.  If she meant it as an insult to knitters, shes clearly very closed minded, and it really wouldnt be worth getting up in arms about.  Needless to say, we all know that if she meant it like that, shes totally wrong  Grin  We knitters are awesome.

I dont know why knitting of all crafts seems to always have a negative aura around it.  Like, when I knit, people often come up to me and are like "My grandmother knit, you seem a little young to take up this craft."  And its like,such an ageless craft, if people could see the things I make (stuffed boobs, spaghetti monster dolls, etc.) it would be clear that its not just sweaters with pom-pons and afgans, and if you do that, thats totally ok.  We all put creative spins on it.

Well, thats my morning craft-related rant.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006 09:38:02 AM »

I really took her comment as self-deprecating... like someone else said, perhaps she's not a very good knitter and she's just saying, "No one wants to see what would happen if I picked up the needles." Like I would say, "Watch out or I might start dancing... and nobody wants [to see] that." It's not at all a bag on dancing -- it's a bag on my dancing skills (or lack thereof). In fact, it's a compliment to dancers -- they can do something that I absolutely cannot. So maybe we should take it as a compliment. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
valknits
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006 10:26:15 AM »

I'm chewing the insides of my cheeks while knitting, how do you like them apples Miss Chicago???

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The accomplice to the crime of corruption is frequently our own indifference." -Bess Myerson, Miss America 1945
starlight1221
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006 11:02:17 AM »

I'm chewing the insides of my cheeks while knitting, how do you like them apples Miss Chicago???

heh, me too.  I have a cycle of bad habits (nail biting, hair twirling, and cheek biting) and I usually do only one during a given length of time, generally it switches yearly or so.  Since taking up knitting, I figured I'd be able to stop, but now I'm doing all three.  whoops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Production Studio - Audition and the Multitrack Environment
Adobe Production Studio - Final Comments
Adobe Production Studio - Final Assembly and Tweaks in After Effects
Adobe Production Studio - Shortcuts for Creating Additional Lower Thirds
Adobe Production Studio - Adding Text to a Lower Third
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...