A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
784 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting in the round shy - what's a good first project?  (Read 2786 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittingal

The Phantom of the Opera is there...*ooh, where?*

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2006 07:45:54 AM »

i'm trying to wean myself off simply using straight needles. I don't have dpns (yet!) but recently bought myself a pair of circulars which i'm determined to use (unlike my last pair - tried to untangle them and broke them Sad)
so what do you reckon would be a good first project on them? preferably something in the round as opposed to knitting flat but just taking the weight off the arms Smiley

thanks! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit,
knit a lil scarf for me!
Cheesy
grrrromit

The eggstraordinary life of Madeline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006 07:54:15 AM »

I'm not sure what you meant by "taking the weight off the arms," so I apologize if you just wanted to do sweaters - But a hat is a good first round project - you can just make a tube the proper circumference of your head, and decrease rapidly or gather at the top the close it up. My husband has made two tube hats this way - he thinks knitting and crocheting are hard, but he still liked this method. Smiley An added bonus is that it knits up really quickly so you can play with the pattern and make adjustments and still not get sick of the project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maplestory! Windia forever! Hunt me down, I'm MingyDingus! Smiley
knittingal

The Phantom of the Opera is there...*ooh, where?*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006 07:58:23 AM »

great! what i meant about "taking the weight off the arms" is - there are several people who love circular needles, but for knitting straight on them - apparantly the stuff they make is heavy to hold *shrugs*
anyway - the hat sounds a great idea, are there patterns on here that i could use/modify?
i'll go and search!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit,
knit a lil scarf for me!
Cheesy
another
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006 12:28:54 PM »

Tempting or Tempting II from Knitty are good. I just finished one today, as it happens; it was easy and fun to make, definitely good for a first-time attempt at using circulars, in my easily ignored opinion.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006 03:14:38 AM by another » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Penguinhorde
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006 02:55:29 PM »

Using circs for straight knitting is also handing for KIP'ing on buses and such like - less likely to prod neighbours accidentally. I agree that hats are a great first project for circs but would also like to suggest bags. One doesn't need a pattern, just cast on enough stitches to fill nicely a 40cm circ and then start knitting round and round. Once the bag is deep enough (or you're fed up with knitting it), do a three needle cast off, by working the first and last stitch of your round together, then second and second-last, and so and so forth.  Or you can cast off half the stitches, knit flat for a few inches to get a flap, cast off, and then sew up the bottom. Easy peasy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006 03:45:34 PM »

A little felted bag is always good.  You can just knit a tube and then sew up the bottom and felt.  Then add a zipper to the top and either an i-cord strap or find something at the craft store (cording or something).  You can also bind off half at the top and then keep knitting a little longer on the other half (like straight knitting) and have a little flap if you don't want to sew in a zipper.  Added bonus... the felting covers any first-timer mistakes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
moazogotl
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006 04:17:03 PM »

My first knitting in the round project was a pair of mittens, and I really enjoyed them--they're small and portable, which is always nice!  They're a little more exciting than a hat, too, but the only harder bit is a little increasing and decreasing.  I used the basic mitten pattern from a book called "Folk Mittens."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafty_kelly
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006 06:09:01 PM »

I vote for the felted bag too.  This was the first thing I had ever knit on circular needles, and it turned out great.  The only thing to keep in mind is that it will shrink so much more in length than in width.   Keep that in mind when you are trying to determine how long to go.  The other thing is not to twist the stitches.  I had to frog mine so many times because I had twisted the stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heavenlyevil
(formerly PureDiamond8865)

I'll bide my time...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006 06:38:35 PM »

For something really easy, I'd suggest a tube scarf. You just decide how wide you want it to be, then cast on twice as many stitches as you would for knitting it flat. Keep going until it's long enough.

My other suggestion is socks, which are also really easy. I learned to knit in the round with socks, and now I'm positively addicted. Most of what I knit now is socks.

For an great tutorial with lots of pictures see: http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We're all mad here....You may have noticed I'm not all there myself.
k8kre8s
hand-made, not slave-made

power to the cats

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006 08:19:25 AM »

i just bought my first pair of circulars too, and i'm going to make this knitted tote:

http://www.frugalhaus.com/homepage/freetote.htm

i'm a new knitter and a dumb-dumb with patterns, but i think i can tackle this one! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Home Remedies For Hair
Modelinia Fashion Week TV Swim Edition: Episode 1
How to Style Your Hair Like a Movie Star
Herbal Conditioning Mixtures for Sparkling Hair
How to Create an Up-Do with Pin Curls
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...