A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,078
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shirt, Skirt and Shorts(with tut)  (Read 5996 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DuMont
« on: June 18, 2006 02:04:48 PM »

So I've been bored during the past few weeks of summer, and I've ended up digging through some old fabric we have and making myself a few new items of clothing.

Edit: Sorry for the giant pics...

Well this first one I actually made in school (I take a sewing class), so it doesn't count as "summer sewing" but I still wanted to post it. The pictures are pretty bad, but it's made out of a black satiny fabric that has dragons/birds on it in an oriental kind of design. The reverse side of the fabric is striped different colors because the designs on the front are colored, so I turned the top edge out to get the green. I used the fabric to make a ribbon that goes through the colored stripe(behind it) and it ties in the back into a bow to keep the top tight. Then it's sewn closed in the back about halfway down and then it's open and hemmed the rest of the way down. I wore it to the performance our class did at the end of the year. I like how long it is.

The next thing I made really was during the summer. I found a bag of fabrics of my grandma's and she said I could use what I wanted and I found a really nice dark/olive green courduroy fabric, and made a skirt. It's made of 5 panels cut with a slight flare out at the end, the idea was inspired by a skirt I bought recently, but it turned out a lot different. I accidentally cut one of the pieces upside down and it therefore looks slightly lighter in color than the rest of the panels so I just put it in the middle and I think it looks good. Ignore my crappy buttonholes, they need to be trimmed. Tongue

And the last one I just made yesterday. I was watching some TV show and this girl bought shorts like this and I thought they were really cute so I found some good fabric and used a pair of longer capris I have that are a similar style for an idea of how to cut them and then I put them together. The hardest part was getting the really wide waistband to work...

I posted the shorts on another forum and a tutorial was requested, so I did my best...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006 02:07:26 PM by DuMont » THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006 02:09:55 PM »

cute stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
mrspilkingtonknits
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006 07:40:35 AM »

they all look great, and i especially love the shorts!  thanks for the tute, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MyDestny
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006 07:46:17 AM »

I LOVE the shorts and am definitely going to try them. Maybe then I will have a pair that my butt can actually fit into properly!!

One question though, what kind of closure did you use? I would think it would need a zipper or something? Well, at least MY butt would!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...i finished off the rest of the ice cream so i expect to be having another butt in the morning!!

www.etsy.com/GeneriOnline
http://www.generionline.com
DuMont
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006 12:39:04 PM »

I just sewed it to fit, I didn't have a zipper when I made them. But you could easily modify them to add one in if you wanted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emiwcch
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006 04:28:27 PM »

those shorts are so cute! i've been looking for a pair like that, but now i can just make them!!! thanks a bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know your onion!
6iggle

art. fashion. love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006 05:17:35 PM »

very cute! thanks for the shorts tut! im gonna try that  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

----------- >8

✯My Etsy!✯  www.iiiNa.etsy.com

✯My Blog!✯  www.PiiiNaColada.bl ogspot.com

✯My Wists!✯   www.wists.com/paulinaa
whatsernamee
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006 01:58:58 PM »

I just sewed it to fit, I didn't have a zipper when I made them. But you could easily modify them to add one in if you wanted.

How stretchy is your fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i like your face
britt

all we need, is a little bit of momentum.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006 03:42:03 PM »

oooh i love the shorts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm just a girl with, ideas.
vorare
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006 04:16:41 PM »

It's all cute, but the shorts! Love. Thank you for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When do you learn that the world, like any diner worth its salt, is open twenty-four hours a day?"
-Adverbs by Daniel Handler

Ravelry | Wists
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Duct Tape Poinsettia
How to Make a Duct Tape Holiday Chain
How to Make a Duct Tape Gift Box
How to Make a Duct Tape Christmas Stocking
How to Make a Duct Tape Christmas Tree Ornament
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...