A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I've figured out the best way to stencil EVER. A must read. (tutorial and pics)  (Read 186638 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , stencil  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dancecrafter

the snack that smiles back...!

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 22, 2006 11:09:04 AM »

first of all - thanks to everyone for all the great tips!

i really want to try this but its hard for me to get to a craft store (theres none in town that i know of and i dont have my license yet).  Does anyone know if you can use this: sorry bout the blurry picture...my camera sucks. it says: Polymark - dimensional fabric and craft paint pen. its kind of 3D ish, so would that not work for stenciling?

thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006 06:18:01 PM by dancecrafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Era Vera
« Reply #211 on: August 22, 2006 08:35:10 PM »

It works . . . . not all that well. Well, it can give a cool effect, but for normal stenciling, I usually stay away from the puffy type stuff. But if you want to try it, I've got a couple tips. You'll probably have to put it on thick-ish, but I would try to do just one coat. Take the stencil off before it dries, once it tries, the paint gets sort of weird and plastic-y and it's difficult to get the stencil off. I've had to sort of cut the paint in order to not mess it up when removing the stencil after the paint dried with that kind of paint.

But anyways, go for it! Maybe try it on a scrap cloth, with a quick to cut out stencil first. Make a little patch. I wouldn't use a nice tshirt or anything first, just in case it doesn't work out.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=69377.0 Here is an example I did with the puffy type of paint. As you can see, the white and yellow didn't cover completely and you can see a little black underneath. This would probably be less noticable on a light colored shirt or something.

But go for it! If you use something cheap/you don't care about for a first try, what's the worst that could happen?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://eravera.blogspot.com/ <-rarely updated crafting blog
http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
mshavoc
i like exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colour. and line.

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 26, 2006 10:56:35 AM »

it's nice to know that other people use Photoshop when working on projects.
i'm a Photoshop junkie.
EVERYTHING i make starts out in photoshop!
woot woot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imxriotxhere
« Reply #213 on: August 26, 2006 01:35:24 PM »

FYI, another alternative for cardstock is the backings that go behind comic book when they are stored. They come in packages of 100 in almost any comic book store and range from about $10 to $15 for the packs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cat Scandal
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2006 11:15:19 AM »

For those of you out there who don't want to pay for photoshop or illustrator, there are some free programs out there that due the same thing.  GIMP, the GNU Image Manipulation Program, has features very similar to photoshop, and it's threshold tool works the same way (though it's under layer->color, not image->adjust).

http://gimp.org/

If you want to do the nifty vectoring thing with free software, there's another program called autotrace which will do it, but it's command line, so if you're not familiar with doing things that way, it might be intimidating (I think there are some graphical versions out there too: frontline and delineate, if you search those names + vector on google, they should show up).  However, it allows you to make smooth lines and resize as large as you want.  Just start with a png (you can convert it with GIMP), export to svg, and when you open it up in GIMP, tell it to render at some gigantic size like 1000px wide at 300dpi, and you'll have a huge stencil of your small image.  Personally, I find better results if I play with the threshold and touch up the image beforehand, and then make a two-color vector for resizing.

I made all my stencils that way, check out the results:

http://catscandal.googlepages.com/stencils.jpg

Anyway, some great stencils here, this tutorial helped me get started (along with some advice from my punk friends), so I hope some of you can figure out vectoring well enough.  It helps a lot, and it is smoother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mama Grouch
« Reply #215 on: September 08, 2006 08:35:39 PM »

Wow, great tutorial and great post to read through.  Thanks for all of the great tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmaZing
« Reply #216 on: September 09, 2006 01:09:26 AM »

Thanks the tute is great, I'm bookmarking this thread. Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigokat

Craftin' while they're nappin'

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2006 11:23:43 AM »

Hi,

I love working with freezer paper. It really does make the intricate details stay down.
AND I found a use for the cut out part. I iron it down and make a reverse stencil.
So, for the bird stencil and tree stencil I used the regular version and then took the little throw away parts of freezer paper and ironed those down on other shirts and just painted over them for a reverse image. I like it just as much as the original way.

Sorry for the shaky camera work - the batteries were dying.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back from hiatus and trying not to just lurk.
McJulie-O
« Reply #218 on: September 09, 2006 11:26:36 AM »

Indigocat,
Excellent work! What a great way to use up EVERYTHING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lil_ballet_girl

I want to be with you

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 17, 2006 06:08:34 PM »

Cool! Thanks for the tutorial! I will certaintly be bookmarking this  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Took for granted all the little things.
But now it's over,
All I can say is goodbye.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birchbox Sneak Peek: December 2013
How to Use a Makeup Sponge to Apply Foundation
How To Make Your Own Face Mask At Home Using Fruit Juices And Sugar
How to Do a Marbleized Manicure
How to Do a Great Gatsby Look For Halloween
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...