A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,713
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trashy Desk  (Read 916 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teehee
« on: July 28, 2004 05:06:12 PM »

Hopefully, I'm posting in the right place. I found a desk and it's in questionable shape. It's structurally sound and cute, but it was left outside for a long time. Some of the paint is chipping off and it seems to have been painted several times before. It looks kind of feminine like a vanity, but it's tall like desk and it has desk size drawers. So here's my prob, it has a thin plastic like layer over the top of the desk surface. This is peeling off from being wet.

Clearly, I can sand and repaint it, but what do I do with that plasticish layer? Other than sheer force, is there a reccomended way to remove it? Is there a similar substance I can replace it with? I was possibly thinking of covering something with a character print contact paper and using wood glue to make a new desktop surface. What would be the best type of paint/ application method to use?

I know of a little girl who really wants a desk, but her family can't afford one. I'd love to fix this up for her. I have limited access to tools and money, but this can be a long term project. Thanks for any detailed info you have!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiemarie
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004 05:35:21 PM »

Have you tried a paint/varnish stripper? i just got some for a chair i re-did, and it worked pretty well.  Just make sure you read what you all need in the instuctions on the side of the can before you walk out of the store with it, i ended up going back to walmart 2 times to get first rubber gloves and then to get a scraper thingie.  It worked well though!  good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChloeR
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004 06:39:19 AM »

I'm not sure what kind of plastic you are talking about? Is it like formica? and is it glued/nailed? If it's not nailed and comes off easily, you could probably just sand it down and just refinish
THIS ROCKS   Logged
braden
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004 09:28:14 PM »

could you use glass on top of it? i'm imagining a painted/collaged surface (just working on top of the peeling-apart part) with a sheet of glass on top--you could have a couple holes drilled in corners & then bolt the glass down into the desk. i know the people at big home improvement places can cut glass to order; you can probably get them to drill it too.

if it's for a kid, the painted/collaged surface could have useful features like a ruler, chessboard, etc.

braden
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nomoreacesikks
ducks can do it too

i'm a....chicken?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004 03:44:47 AM »

Sounds like laminate like on a counter.... its (ttalkng out of my butt if im wrong here)
i had a dresser covered in it and a flooded bedroom
so i chipped it away leaving very waterdamage plywood......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...<---has bird fetish
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Daniel Gross Talks About Dumb Money
Meet Author Jack Todd
Richard Paul Evans Talks About Grace
Matthew Van Fleet Reveals
Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter Talk About Chicken Cheeks
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...