A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Saxaphone upholstering help please!  (Read 484 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OKmetro

where the hell is my moustache?

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2006 04:45:43 PM »

No, not the actual saxaphone itself but it's case. My darling sax's case is decades (I'm not even kidding!) old and I have yet to have the ambition to reline the case. I'm finally going to have the time this summer but I have no idea how to do it. It has a big dent to fit the saxaphone and a compartment for all my lovely sax paraphenelia, so I'm not sure how I could get the fabric to drape in there nicely. Plus I'd need some kind of fake fur to cushion the metal and I've never worked with any before.

Does anybody have any ideas? Or furry fabric tips?
Thanks, loves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmc_aust

Wandering in the wilderness, I realised I was LOST

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006 07:20:22 PM »

What if you got some foam to fit the case, then cut a hole the size and shape of your sax and covered that with some soft fabric?  That would help to cushion the sax and might be easier to work with?  If you just want to cover up what's already in the case, I would suggest cutting material to cover the "flat" top surface of the case (inside), but cut out a hole for where the sax goes in the correct shape.  I'd glue or sew a gusset, a long strip of material, to the vertical edges of the sax hole, then use the piece you cut out in the shape of the sax to line the bottom.

Does that make any sense at all? Cheesy

Feel free to pm me if you want clarification.

Cheers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I support Breast Cancer Awareness.  Do you?

Ravelry
Blog
Wist
popple
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006 08:26:19 PM »

I've had to reupholster (what a weird word) many a clarinet and bass clarinet cases.

But again, I'm a slacker and didn't try to terribly hard. 

So basically, all you do is take new fun semi fuzzy fabric and lay it over the previous outline of the saxophone foam. (If you have to refoam it, I would lay in some of that almost couch-like foam and put the sax in, and leave it for a while to get an impression).

Then...turn to hot glue! Just go around the corners and tuck the fabric in all of the little tight spots and hot glue it down. Don't forget to add a little slack for the sax though.

Is this making sense? I'm not totally sure. But here are some pictures of my latest case. Its held up for two years now.

This is the outline of the case. Actually, the inside of this one is lined with Styrofoam, so that's something to think about (I didn't do that though, it came that way- I can't imagine it being too difficult)

A close up of the inner workings (you can tell its getting a bit bare- I march, so I'm extra hard on my case)

And the clarinet in there, snug as a glove (yay for slant rhyme!)

I hope that was at least semi helpful...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who wept at the romance of the streets with their pushcarts full of onions and bad music.
OKmetro

where the hell is my moustache?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006 12:38:11 PM »

You guys are amazing, thank you so much! I'm not sure if I'm going to have to refoam it or not, but when I'm finished what will surely be a deliciously fun project I'll post it (I can't do it for a while yet).

Thank you so much! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sujata Massey: What Are You Reading?
Artist Anne Truitt on Her Work
A Conversation with Christina Lauren
Jamie Ford: Sadness of Seattle Sparked Writing Career
Delia Ephron: Your Writing Is Your Fingerprint
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...