A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,657
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i really nedd help with shawl border  (Read 373 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heykids

"...And he turned as green as green grass" - Babel

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2006 11:18:27 AM »

Alrighty amazing knitters!  Grin

I need your help. I am knitting a shawl for my mom, and I am almost done with the shawl part. The shawl is a long rectangle (right now it looks like a really wide scarf, but I would like to attach a border to it all around).

Now, here's the question part. I would like to get a ripple effect on the edge but the only lace patterns I know of (and that are free) that do that is the soleil lace (from knitty, http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTsoleil.html ). More importantly, they start to ripple from the bottom.

I would like to be able to pick up stiches from all around the shawl and simply knit outwards, and bind off to create the ripple. Are there any lace patterns (preferebly free) that do that?

And if not, how do you attach a border to a shawl? Should I sew it on? How?  Huh

Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mata
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006 11:21:05 AM »

Sorry I can't help you (I'm a beginner knitter) but I'm interested in the replies you'll get!  Wink
Good luck.. and post pics of your completed work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sappmama
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006 12:24:21 PM »

Now, I don't have experience with this but I think it could work:

Simply pick up an even number of stitches, k the first row, then k2tog across the row.  Next row, do the same, k2tog across.  Not sure how many rows you can do this on but it cuts the stitches in half (of course) on each row and creates a ruffle.  Another alternative is to take your yarn to the library or bookstore and test some stitch patterns from Nicky Epstein's Knitting On the Edge and Knitting Over the Edge books.  Actually, that might be your best bet.  You'll definitely find something you like that way.

Happy knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heykids

"...And he turned as green as green grass" - Babel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006 07:18:14 PM »

sappmama - thanks for your idea.

Actually, I found a lace pattern that would do nicely, but I'm wondering how to attach it to the main scarf/shawl part?

How do you sew knitting that you want to lie flat?  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sappmama
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006 04:50:34 PM »

Ooh.  I'm stumped there.  Maybe someone with more expertise can help.  (Not that I have that much.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moazogotl
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006 01:26:57 PM »

How about the Feather & Fan pattern?  (Sometimes called Old Shale--you can find it in pretty much any stitch dictionary.  It's very easy.)

How to attach:
--Pick up stitches all around the shawl (one in each stitch and three or so in each corner stitch so the corners don't pucker!  Plus whatever fudge factor so the lace pattern repeats come out right)
--Knit the lace pattern in the round using these stitches.  Remember to increase a little at the corners each round or two to prevent puckering.
--Bind off as usual!

It's a pain to pick up all those stitches but it's easier than sewing on a border, wondering if you've made the border long enough, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Roz Savage Reveals Her Favorite Song
Gustavo Arellano Talks About Orange County
Meet Author Glenn Beck
Meet Author Allison Dubois
Sanjaya Malakar Reveals Who He Admires Most
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...