A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 309,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What can organizers do about lousy swap items/disappointed swappers?  (Read 15418 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

taloola
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006 12:29:48 PM »

thank ya!
he's my alter ego...."zoloft the mighty"!!!  Grin

ok ok back to the discussion at hand!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006 01:07:35 PM »

i have been swapping for a long time now...and i kind of just feel like that is a risk you take when you choose participate in something like this...

i have received my share of not so well made crafts but i always feel like they at least tried to send me something, rather than flaking on me.  i always just assume that they may be beginner crafters and i am happy to be on the receiving end of that learning process!  swapping is totally a positive experience but my grandpa would have said to me.....
                                  "you win some and lose you lose some---but isn't it fun to take that chance"!

That's what I was trying to say but you, your grandpa, and zoloft the mighty said it MUCH better than I!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Madmatigan79

Back by popular demand...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006 01:26:48 PM »

The big thing for me is communication. I was in a swap where the items I received were not of the same quality as the items I sent - but the craftster who made them included a note that explained her thought process (ex. "you said you liked this and this, so I tried to do this") and the fact that she was a beginner at that craft and how proud she was of her efforts. I can respect that and was really happy to receive something that someone had put so much thought and effort into! If I had not known that she was just learning and that she had really made an effort to do her best, I may have reacted differently.

But how DO individuals deal with this? When you get a "bad" package, should you contact your organizer with your concerns, or just take taloola's grandpa's advice and move on to the next thing Wink ? Also, as an organizer, how do you respond to this kind of concern once someone brings it to your attention (seems a slippery slope)? Should you note it in the swap feedback (if so, how?)? Should you post for a swap angel? Or do you just say to your swapper "'Dem's da breaks! Better luck next time!"?

Also, what about swappers who do not post in the gallery to publicly acknowledge that they have received? This has been more of a problem for me than receiving lousy items...I have been disappointed a number of times by a lack of "thanks for the effort" on the part of my swap partner. Even if you do not like what was sent, it takes no time to send a quick pm or make a little post in the swap gallery. This should also be taken into consideration when organizers complete swap feedback. I have swapped with a few people who have "great communication!" in their comments yet they never posted the things that they received and were terrible about communicating with their partner. Shouldn't public acknowledgement be considered part of "communication"?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2006 01:32:19 PM by Madmatigan79 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006 02:00:34 PM »

I have been wanting to organize, but I am afraid of people feeling like I do about the swap process. I have only recently gotten some good partners. For my first several swaps I got some pretty shoddy work, and have been flaked on twice. Three times, they sent and didn't let me know. When it took over a month to get my stuff, they got mad at me! I didn't know they sent or else I would have posted in the thread how excited I was to get my stuff. I still have not received for my 2 that I was flaked on and because of past quality of goods I have gotten, Mr. Teapot says I shouldn't swap anymore. He finally gave in when he saw the stuff I got in the FOC3 and the Invite your partner swap. I put a ton of thought and effort into my swap stuff, and have really tried to sound excited in the galleries. I also don't want to hurt people's feelings though.  Sad How frustrating!

I think being laughed at for expressing your concern is more than insulting! That really sucks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
craftykate
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006 02:36:29 PM »

This is a tough one. For me it's all about effort. I've gotten some stuff that was from a beginner crafter in a swap way back in the day. I passed some of it on to my little sis because it just wasn't my style, but my partner had obviously put tons of thought and time into it. That I really appreciated. A while back I was in a swap where my package was amazing but someone else got a package that didn't fully follow the swaps details, was late, and seemed very last minute, and thrown together. I got in touch with the recipient of that package and with our organizer and volunteered to be a secret angel. No one wanted to offend the sender. Maybe she didn't fully understand the swaps requirements, or really did do her best. So we never said anything publicly (like in the swap thread) and I sent an angel package to help make up for it. I don't know if there is a good answer to this one. What is considered adequate time, and quality can be a really subjective thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006 02:37:33 PM »

I was actually wondering about this myself. I signed up to do the cuff swap round 3 when round 2 finishes.

I feel really lucky as far as swaps go, I've only received 2 things I was disappointed with and never been flaked on. One of those was a surprise package from the monthly wish list swaps. The first one was my first swap! Both times I received from really young people (like half my age young people). Not sure if that really has anything to do with it or not - I could be focusing on the negative too much.

i always just assume that they may be beginner crafters and i am happy to be on the recieving end of that learning process!  swapping is totally a positive experience but my grandpa would have said to me.....
                                  "you win some and lose you lose some---but isnt it fun to take that chance"!

I agree with Taloola's grandpa, it's part of the risk of doing a swap. I've never said anything to my organizers, but if I was in a swap with those craftsters again - I might ask my organizer to not partner me with them and explain why. 

I was laughed at when I told an organizer that the person crafting for me had put no time or thought into some of my items and sent things super late that weren't finished, with no note as to why. I didn't think that anything would change by my letting the organizer know how terrible it was, but I thought it ought to be noted. To have been laughed at for my concern was insulting.

That is not cool! hope your other swap adventures have been better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006 02:56:30 PM »

I think that being unhappy is a risk with swapping. Its impossible to guarantee you will like something that a complete stranger is making for you. When we get messages about a package that someone didn't like we think about the following things:

1. Was there effort put in to the project? Examples, crafted from partners questionnaire answers, post stalked, spent sufficient time crafting...
2. Did they follow the swap rules?
3. History of the swapper.

If we feel someone made an honest effort then we let it pass, dissapointment happens with swaps. Its those packages that ARE great that keep us swapping.

If someone clearly did not send an adequate package than many different things can happen depending on the number of complaints including being banned from swaps.

I reccomend letting your organizer know and they can contact us. We mods research, discuss it and determine what actions we would like to take.

Remember, just because you don't like something doesn't mean your partner didn't try. I've received amazing packages that just weren't my style. I'm thankful for the time put in the project and then I pass it along to someone I know who has use for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006 03:13:33 PM »

I may have sounded a tad bitter earlier. I really do like to get stuff in the mail and I really do appreciate that somebody put forth effort for me. It just hurts a little when I get something that my partner obviously didn't try on (it was obvious) and I put a ton of energy into my stuff.
This last project I finished for a swap was the first time I tried sewing a huge project. Just about everyone here knows that I make polymer clay stuff and paper. I put a note in her package saying that I normally send more, but this time I tried something new, so there aren't as many items. I hope she will understand and be happy with it because I literally put blood sweat and tears into it.
I just hate flakers though. Its not right to fall through on promises. So far, my flakers have not been people that I sent to though (round robin). That makes me feel better because they aren't getting stuff I worked hard on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
almostascone
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006 03:30:57 PM »

I was actually wondering about this, so I'm glad I saw this thread.

I actually just finished with a swap where there was, as in most swaps, was a required number of items. My partner sent me one less. The stuff she did send me, I absolutely LOVED. She did a great job finding out what kind of stuff I wanted and liked. She mentioned worrying that she hadn't sent enough, but also said that one of the items took her a really, really long time.

While I really loved everything, and am completely happy with the package, it still seems like there should be something, some note telling her that the rules said to include five items, and she didn't fulfill that. I haven't had the heart to say anything, though, because I really did love what I got. I'm just confused about it all.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps.

http://www.wists.com/almostascone
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006 03:35:50 PM »

That's a tough call, but I would say that if you really love the rest of the package, and it's obvious she spent a lot of time on everything, let it go. What if she threw in one more item that meant nothing to you? Would that be any better than getting the four great things she worked so hard on?

I feel like if I get one awesome thing per package, I am a lucky girl. Anything more than that is gravy.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cute Plaited Hairstyle Tutorial
Sexy Supermodel Hair in Just 3 Steps
How to Rock Chic Ponytail Twists
Hottest Hairstyles of Spring
How to Create a Braided Twist
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...