A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nintendo bomb-omb/parachute cross-stitch...ON MY BUTT! *added tutorial with pics  (Read 5716 times)
Tags for this thread: nintendo , video_game , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xsugarkittyx
Manga/Anime Fangirl

Scary crafting redheads...

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2006 01:43:48 PM »

So a few pics from my newest little creative project...a cross-stitched bomb-omb on my fav jeans! I've always been a huge Nintendo fan, and I'll never forget the frustrations of these cute lil' guys.  Wink

^  A close-up of him

**EDIT**

Ok, so a little tutorial on my method of waste canvasness...Um, first one I've done, forgive me lol. If anything is unclear, just ask Smiley

1. First you're going to want to gather up your stuff, including: needle and thread, waste canvas, your pattern, article of clothing or fabric, and embroidery thread. (A seam ripper may come in handy too) I will be using the bomb-omb pattern, since I seem to be lacking the greens for the "1 UP".

2. Determine what size the pattern will be on the canvas. Leave extra canvas around where the pattern will be stitched, at least an 1" or more. You'll probably want to put tape around the edges of the canvas to prevent it from fraying, but I was too lazy to  Wink

3. Next, baste the waste canvas to the fabric so it will not slip while you are stitching. (Mine's in blue, it's a little hard to see; again, due to laziness on my part) You'll want to baste around all four edges and diagonally, you might need more though for a larger pattern. Make sure the threads of the canvas match up with the threads of the fabric to ensure it will turn out straight, and not all crooked.

4. Stitch your design as you normally would. It can be tricky at first, but eventually you'll get the hang of it. Try not to puncture any of the strands Aww, isn't he cute?

5. So you should have all your crosses, back-stitches, and french knots done now, now is when you take the basting stitches out, carefully! I used a seam ripper (my mother's ancient seam ripper!!!) to help me along with this, but be really carefully you don't kill any of the embroidery threads!

6. Then cut the canvas down a bit smaller around the pattern, see the pics to get a rough estimate.

7. Now, I'm not sure if all waste canvases are the same as mine, but I soaked my pattern in water for a minute or so. Then I carefully removed the strands of the canvas with the help of tweezers.

And that's basically all Smiley
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006 06:15:23 PM by xsugarkittyx » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandalol219
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006 01:47:24 PM »

I love that!! Bomb-ombs alllways made me mad. haha. Those are really cute though!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi, I'm Amanda =]

I'm just getting back into this, but if any pictures are missing, let me know. Photobucket hates me.
xsugarkittyx
Manga/Anime Fangirl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006 01:57:00 PM »

I love that!! Bomb-ombs alllways made me mad. haha. Those are really cute though!!

Thanks Smiley I'm always torn between their annoyingness and cuteness, lol. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Velour
Lady of the Scissors

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006 03:38:17 PM »

Awwww, that's adorable! When the jeans give out, you have to make them into a cute little bomb-omb purse  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing is craftier than a story Smiley http://writwratwrote.wordpress.com/
plumpie
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006 02:48:04 PM »

That's just too cute!  LOL great melding of subject and medium.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
terpkristin
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006 04:03:00 PM »

How do you get the stitches to come out so evenly on jeans?  Or, really, any fabric that isn't aida?

Looks great, by the way!  Smiley

/tk
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xsugarkittyx
Manga/Anime Fangirl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006 10:04:23 AM »

How do you get the stitches to come out so evenly on jeans?  Or, really, any fabric that isn't aida?

I bast-stitched a piece of waste canvas on the jeans, and just stitched like I normally would. The basting holds the piece of fabric so it doesn't slip while stitching. Smiley It takes a little getting used to, this was my first attempt.

It was a little trickier to get the needle through the denim, a thimble would probably come in handy for this *practically killed thumb in the process* After it was all done, I removed the basting carefully with a seam ripper (lol).  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xsugarkittyx
Manga/Anime Fangirl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006 10:08:19 AM »

Awwww, that's adorable! When the jeans give out, you have to make them into a cute little bomb-omb purse  Cheesy

The thought of my jeans wearing out makes me sad  Sad
But I love the purse idea, thanks!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
terpkristin
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006 01:37:25 PM »

I bast-stitched a piece of waste canvas on the jeans, and just stitched like I normally would. The basting holds the piece of fabric so it doesn't slip while stitching. Smiley It takes a little getting used to, this was my first attempt.

It was a little trickier to get the needle through the denim, a thimble would probably come in handy for this *practically killed thumb in the process* After it was all done, I removed the basting carefully with a seam ripper (lol).  Cheesy

Do you think you could put up a little tutorial (with pictures) on how you did it?  Especially cutting off the parts you don't need...that sounds cool, but I'm not sure I get it 100%.  Or, alternatively, can somebody recommend a book or website that shows how to do this?  Thanks!

I love Nintendo-themed stitchings. Smiley

/tk
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006 02:11:37 PM by terpkristin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
terpkristin
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006 06:35:12 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial!!!!

/tk
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Puppy Love Chow
How to Make Homemade Blueberry and Banana Muffins
How to Make Brownie Tarts
How to Make Drunken Honey Figs with Cashew Nut Cream
Plum and Apple Cobbler Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...