A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 307,988
Currently Running With Scissors:
289 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Polymer clay in the UK?  (Read 2421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006 06:00:37 PM »

I didn't get the white, I just got the colours I mentioned. Can you paint Polymer clay?

Are those part of the same question or separate questions?  If you're thinking of adding white paint to colored polymer clay, you can do that but it might take a lot since colors overwhelm white pretty quickly (it needs to be white oil paint though, not acrylic, or you could use other white pigments or powders or oil pastel shavings, etc.)... might be enough for a small amount of clay though.

Also, you can paint over baked polymer clay, but most clayers don't do it.  If you do though, be sure to degrease the surface with alcohol, etc. first, then use acrylic paints unless  you're just doing washes (then you can use small amounts of oils).

I wasn't really aware of Emma's online store (though I certainly know of Emma).  Her prices appear to be a bit better than Sue's, but I didn't check details about shipping, etc., and she doesn't carry the mini-blocks.  She also doesn't carry Premo... only FimoClassic and FimoSoft in the colored clays.

As for why it's more expensive there than here, I don't know why!  The usual price of Premo or one of the Fimos in the US (without a sale) is $2.00-2.50, Kato is cheaper by weight and comes in 3 oz bars, and Sculpey is usually around $2.00.  The larger bricks are cheaper by weight than smaller bars of the same color but those generally have to be bought online (they're not all the same weight though--Fimo's are smaller) and it's almost impossible to get Sculpey III in larger bricks). 
(So maybe price is the reason that some UK'ers actually end up ordering from the U.S.) 

There are definitely ways to use less polymer clay though, compared to other clays.
If possible, for example, you can use some kind of bakable armature under the clay (permanent or temporary), so that you use the clay only for an outer layer.  Also, most people don't make huge things from polymer clay, but some do make things as large as veneers for tables, or large vessels and houses, but again the clay itself is usually thin-ish, and those people can afford a fair amount of clay.  Some polymer clays are cheaper by weight too, though some of those are weaker after baking (e.g., many of the flesh-colored clays, and original Sculpey in the box).  All scrap clay can be used too... all reds mixed together, e.g., or all colors mixed together for what we call "mud."

Let us know what you do with your new clay!

Diane B.
GlassAttic....polymer clay "encyclopedia" http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
little bit'o photosharing: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dianeatglassattic/my_photos

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006 06:07:04 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Berry Apple
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006 08:36:07 AM »

I can't wait for it to arrive! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
intergalacticj

jam jam jam jam jam...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006 08:42:56 AM »

i live in the uk, most art shops carry fimo some bead shops too, even the small shops, i buy different colours but i always make sure i have white becase i like to paint the clay once its cooked! ive also found fimo gloss which i love and liquid clay too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Berry Apple
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006 08:36:35 AM »

Woo! I got my new clay! Slightly disappointed about how small the portions are but here is the topic: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=108349.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Placemat Shoulder Purse
We Can Do It!
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...