A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is that a yo-yo?  (Read 645 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2006 10:16:17 PM »

I thought I'd share a story.  When the weather is not raining here in Seattle, I tend to take my spindle for walks.  (My biggest craziness was one goregous day when I walked home from work the long way [about 4.5 mi/ 7.3 km], spinning almost the whole time!)  Recently, I was walking along, and I noticed that 2 grandmotherly-looking ladies were looking at me a bit quizically.  When I finally got closer to their porch, one remarked, "Oh, we thought you had a yo-yo."  They didn't seem to think my little habit was odd at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006 04:32:21 PM »

You might get a giggle out of my Nephew spinning off a balcony then.  he was waiting for some computer code to complie (for a job) and the building had a large indoor atrium that a number of offices opened into (including the one Michael was sequestered in) so he started spinning off the balcony and into the atrium.  Made the secretary two floors down flip when she saw the spindle drop down, down, down past her then go back up really fast to drop down again...

Michael said the highlight was hearing the company vice president scream "our $300 an hour consultant is doing WHAT?!!!"  and since he had to wait and watch the computer complie ( in case it error-ed out, which it did.  Frequently, to many patched together systems for things to go smoothly) there wasn't anything they could do to him.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006 06:16:08 PM »

Thanks for the story!  It made me laugh.  I've got a bunch of friends who work in the computer industry, and I've had my own experiences with compilers; so, I understand the cobbled system problem and needing to watch & wait.  I just love the fact that your nephew's spindle could spin long enough to go 2 stories down!  I can just picture the expressions on people's faces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006 06:42:35 AM »

he can get enough speed to do a four story drop for spinning the thread he uses for lace now and the looks are *still* priceless.  2x4 to the back of the skull type looks.  He doesn't do a drop that far for knitting yarns though, if he gets distracted they'll back spin and break.  No idea why the finer stuff doesn't, unless it's a commentary of his lace thread being silk or linen and his knitting yarn being wool. (shrugs)

I can't spin to save my soul but love watching.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Maze Game in Flash Part 2/2
How to Lens Bluring in Photoshop
How to Make the Subject Pop-Out in Photoshop
How to Draw Arrows in Illustrator
How to Use Live Trace and Live Paint in Illustrator
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...