A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidery Fills  (Read 1230 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2004 02:25:59 PM »

Hopefully this hasn't been already brought up.  I was wondering if anyone has advice about filling in large sections.  I usually use the satin stitch but I wasn't sure if it would look funky over a big area.  Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annavs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004 03:19:07 PM »

Ugh!  I just wrote a long reply but apparently I took too long.  So, here's my short answer.  There are tons of online sources for stitches.  Check out http://users.rcn.com/kdyer.dnai/stitches.html; you'll primarily be looking for "filling" stitches, but you can use all sorts of stitches (I had made a list) depending on whether you also want to introduce color variation (some require two colors) or texture.  There are some great books out there too.  I like the Anchor Guides.  They have a guide to Freestyle embroidery and their crewelwork book would be helpful to embroiderers as well.  Try the nice girls in North Dakota: http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NN&Product_Code=2331
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elixia13
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004 04:40:02 PM »

You might try taking some embroidery books out fromt he library--I've been finding it very useful to browse through them and try to find a stitch that a) I think I can figure out how to do, and b) will look nice in the project.  On something I'm working on now, I filled in some areas with a sort of weaving--make long stitches from one side of the area to the other maybe a thread-width apart and then make long stitches in the perpendicular direction, weaving the needle under and over the first threads.  It was pretty past, and I think it looks neat--lots of texture.  Might not be great for clothing, though, or anything else where the threads might get snagged.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004 08:49:07 PM »

Thanks for the help!  Maybe I can stop tearing my hair out now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuluB
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004 09:19:14 AM »

i'm addicted (ha, get it, anyway. . .) to doing fills so much so that i rarely just do an outline of a pattern.

i generally use a split stitch for the fill.  it's especially good for items you plan on using a lot like bags or clothes because it anchors the floss really well.  i have never had a problem with pilling or pulling when i fill with a split stitch. 

yep.  i would use a split stitch.
that's what i would do.

erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PollyEsther
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004 09:28:42 AM »

If I have to fill a big area, I like to use strips of New England laid stitch. It doesn't use up as much thread as satin stitches, and doesn't feel as thick (important, since I mostly embroider my clothes).  But if your goal is not to cover up all the fabric, but to just fill the space, there are a lot of open stitches that are quicker. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004 10:33:04 AM »

I'm making a Homestarrunner tote and have finished one of his feet.  I like the split stitch idea, the question is, do I make the other foot all nice using that idea or would that look weird.  Or should I just continue satin stiching all willy nilly like I did the other one???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuluB
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004 01:16:13 PM »

maybe do the other foot like you did the first and then use the split stitch for the rest.  that way it looks intentional.

erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JaneJane
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004 05:41:28 PM »

Split stich and "short and long" stitch are old traditions for fills
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Working with TV Monitors in Puppetry
How Student Athlete Opera Singer Defines a College Life - Dan Street
How Singing Opera Teaches Pursuit of Excellence - Dan Street
Nick Catanese Interview
Learn About Stained Glass Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...