A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Needlecase- NOW WITH TUTE!!!  (Read 2399 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2006 03:40:35 PM »

This is a needlecase I made that folds up like a fan.  I got the idea from a similar one I saw that had silk ribbon flowers embroidered on it but since that is WAY out of my league I drew up paper pieced fan blades and sewed them together to form the front.  Inside the needlecase are felt pages and 6 pockets good for holding all kinds of notions.  Anyone want a tutorial?  Just ask!  Hope you like it!  Grin

Here it is folded:

And here it is laid out face down to show the front and back:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010 06:20:15 AM by SevsOnlyGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

inle_rah
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006 05:29:21 PM »

That is very cool.  I love the colors and pattern.  What's it look like on the inside?  Just curious about how the pockets work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006 05:48:59 PM »

Yes please, I'd love a tutorial - fascinated by things that fold up!  Although I warn you, it may end up as something TOTALLY different by the time I'm done with it! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
swirly star
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006 05:12:21 AM »

That is wonderful! So organized, please make a tute - my needles will forever thankful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006 10:08:54 AM »

I am so sorry guys I completely forgot about this thread!!!!
Here is the tute and a picture of the inside with the pockets.  The felt pages that you stick the needles in is not attached in this picture, I wanted you to see the pockets.

These are the inside pockets made out of the chili pepper fabric.  It is attached to the inside fabric.
Material needed:
1-9 inch circle: main fabric (I made a grandmothers fan block and attached it to a half circle with a tassel between the two pieces to make one 9 inch circle) embellish any way you want or make a block or do whatever, let your creativity flow!  Just round it out to 9 inches
1-9 inch circle: inside fabric
1-9 inch circle: batting, fleece, whatever "squishy" fabric you want for the middle
1 yard lace (or other trim) for outer frilly
1- 4 1/2 inch by 9 inch rectangle for pockets (I used my main fabric since this is attached to the lining fabric)
1- 8 1/2 inch circle of felt (to stick the needles in)

Start by taking the 4 1/2 inch X 9 inch rectangle and folding long edge over 1/4 inch twice and hem along both long sides.  Find center of the inside fabric and center of the hemmed rectangle and crease.  Stitch down the crease right sides up.  Round corners of the pocket fabric to meet the raw edges of the inside fabric.  If you want 4 pockets, stich down the middle of the pocket fabric, perpendicular to the stitch you just made.  If you want 6 pockets (like in the picture) stitch two lines three inches from each side to make pockets in the rectangle fabric.  

Lay the main fabric face up and pin trim (lace, piping, whatever you choose) around all edges.  lay inside fabric face down on top of that and layer batting on top of all of that.  Pin and stitch around all edges leaving a small hole at the bottom for turning.  Clip corners and turn right sides out.  Whipstitch hole shut.  If you want to attach a piece of elastic or ribbon in the hole before you sew it shut you can add a button to the opposite side once it is folded in half so it can be closed or you can simply sew a snap (like I did) on either side of the inside.  

Now take your felt circle and center it on the inside fabric and sew down the middle again along the first seam line you made.  I blanket stitched the raw edges of my felt but you can leave them plain if you want.  Now you have your pockets and the needle holder.  This seam will help when you fold up your needle case.

If you guys have any questions let me know!  good luck, can't wait to see what brilliant ideas you have!!!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 07:24:04 AM by SevsOnlyGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spring 2013 Fashion Trends Rundown
60 Seconds of Street Style From Paris Fashion Week
Emma Stone Shows Us How to Make Cocktail Dresses Daytime-Casual
Tips For Wearing Peplum Tops
Neon Fashion Trend Blowing Up
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...