I've done quite a few "gifts in a jar" and think they are lots of fun. My favorite is S'mores in a jar with Peeps (you can also use mini marshmallows - especially the holiday colored ones - but I like Peeps). I used Christmas Snowman Peeps last year.
Here's a website that shows how to do this with Easter and July 4th options (very cute):http://www.treasuresfromdj.net/smores.html
That recipe is slightly different than the one I used:
S'Mores in a Jar
One "sleeve" of graham crackers or chocolate graham crackers
1-1/4 C holiday M & Ms
1/3 cup brown sugar
1. Use food processor or rolling pin to reduce 1 sleeve of graham crackers to crumbs.
2. Layer 2/3 of the crumbs in a 1 qt jar.
3. Squeeze 8 Peeps standing up, facing out around the inside of the jar.
4. Spoon remaining crumbs into center of the jar to support the Peeps, press down hard on crumbs.
5. On top of this pour M & M's.
6. Spoon brown sugar into center of M&M's, gently pressing with a spoon.
Recipe can be adapted using holiday Peeps and colored M & Ms for any occasion.
Attach recipe / instructions to jar:
Preheat oven to 350 F
Contents of Jar
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
Empty jar contents into medium sized bowl.
Snip peeps into bite sized pieces with kitchen shears* and add to mixture. Mix well.
3. Melt 1/2 cup butter; add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Pat into a greased 9" square pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
6. Cool and cut into bars.
*Option - leave peeps whole; combine remaining ingredients and place the peeps on top; then bake as directed.
PEANUT BUTTER SMORES
Layer in jar:
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 sleeve of chocolate grahams or regular grahams; reduced to
Instructions should read:
Empty Contents of jar into a bowl. Melt 1/2 cup butter, add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients, mixing well. Pat into a greased 9" square pan. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Makes 9 to 12 bars.