A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,657
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First "faux" silk-screens - TONS of pics  (Read 2817 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lazeedayzee
« on: June 13, 2006 08:40:45 AM »

Hi there! I needed to make some presents, and I loved this tutorial:

http://community.livejournal.com/craftgrrl/3674467.html

I had everything at the house already, so I gave it a go. I think it turned out really well, and was really happy that I didn't have to try to turn a kind of complex pattern into a stencil. Because I suck at that. Seriously, this was way easier, although it kind of took a while doing all the painting.

I'm including some pics of the process too.

This is the logo of a band my brother loves, Amadan - they do Celtic rock and are from Portland, Oregon, our hometown. I thought he definitely needed a t-shirt, and I emailed the band and they were SO nice, and sent me a clean image of the logo.

So I did the tracing thing - this hurt my wrist, and annoyed me that I had to trace the pattern twice. But I found an easier way - see below.

Now this may not be news, but as I was painting on the Mod-Podge, I accidentally got some on a glass frame that was in the way. I of course noticed it after it had dried, but it just peeled right off! So... I've made a couple others (below) using a big picture frame. After I attached my fabric to the frame, instead of tracing the picture onto the fabric, I put the image I wanted to trace under the glass from the frame, put the frame with the fabric on top of the glass, and then painted the Mod-Podge directly onto the fabric, hence onto the glass. Let it dry, and then peeled the entire thing off the glass. Tada! No tracing! It may be an imperfect method, but it made it SO much easier for me.

Ok, more pics..

Finished design (yes, I had to touch up a couple areas, since I was really afraid of over-saturating the design and didn't want it to smoodge all over the place)

And finished t-shirt!

OK, here are some other shirts I made for him too.

This is an ad for the same band, that I found online somewhere. Thought it was pretty bad-ass.

Close-up. It came out all blurry, but I think it looks cool that way. I also had to fill in a couple spots afterward. But the only real problem was that the white has since turned kind of grey-ish. It still looks ok, but I need to work on how to get a true white. (using acrylic/fabric medium. I'm afraid of screen inks. Photo-emulsion sounds scary-complicated!)

And this is a combo stencil / faux-silkscreen. This was actually the first one I did onto an actual shirt, as a test, but I placed the image way too low, so I added the words/title in up top. Didn't do a great job of matching the greys, but maybe it will look intentional.... Right?  Wink

What do you think? This is in the right folder, right? I'm still fairly new, and really really new to the stencil/silk-screen thang.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ikissedmadonna
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006 09:37:34 AM »

Those look great! I have a speedball kit that I have been meaning to use (I have tons of projects in mind) That meathod looks so easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty, baby! <3
Lizzybethdotnet
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006 07:10:19 AM »

The celtic band logo shirt looks really nice.
Where you're getting those little spots of paint outside of the design is that cause by having small places not filled in with modge podge or whatever it is?
There's no need to be afraid of screen inks and you don't have to use photo emulsion with them.  I tried this faux method because I just didn't feel like learning how to deal with emulsion right now, maybe later.  Any way I still used screen inks, and they worked nicely on the test pieces I did.  If you go that route though you may want to test the inks because some of them go on diffently, and you may need to put down a layer of white below some colors when screening on a colored or dark fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lazeedayzee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006 11:22:16 AM »

Thanks! So, if you use the screen inks, do they wash out with water? (I mean from your supplies, not from the t-shirt) Can you use a brush/sponge, or do you have to get a squeegee? I heard that the texture is way nicer with inks, so I may indeed dabble. (starter kits, you say?) I just had scads of acrylic already....

And you're totally right about all the little dots. I think I might go back over it with more glue to cover those up, but some of them look kind of cool with some of the designs. But it does make it kind of hard to read the words.  Cheesy

but I admit, that the little teeny bit that I have read about emulsion sounds REALLY cool. I mean, it does all the work, right? You don't even have to trace anything? Or maybe I misunderstood. Anyhoo, if so many die-hard screenprinters love it, there must be something cool about it. But my craft area is already taking over the living room and my boyfriend is going to flip out if I buy any more supplies. (but I need it!!!) He calls it my 'crack addiction'.  Roll Eyes

And can I just say, that stenciling with contact paper sucks. Maybe it's just the brand I got, but it's too thin and it keeps tearing when I take it off the backing. I have some freezer paper on order, so hopefully that will come soon and change my life. I love my screenprinting, but I've been huffing too much mod-podge. Getting loopy. Might search the office for old stacks of overhead sheets too.......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lizzybethdotnet
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006 05:15:31 PM »

They washed out just fine from my screen, and I washed them as soon as I was finishes screening though and before clean up because once it dries, it becomes insoluble, much like drawing ink or acrylic.  You can sponce it or stipple it with a brush, the ink feels a lot like tempra paint.  You do not need a squeegee, though I do recomend picking up a nylon or rubber spatula from you dollar store and using that instead.  I tried sponging the ink on, but couldn't really If I had equal coverage or not, so that print had some spots only partially filled in with ink.  With using the spatula as a squeegee you can get better and more uniform ink coverage, plus it's faster Smiley.  Though admittedly a faded affect from sponging it on could turn out looking neat.

As for the dots, I use acrylic paint instead of mod podge so I can see it better, and then hold it up to a light so you can see the holes and then fill them in.

We used photo emulsion for silkscreening at school, though I didn't apply it or deal with it in the dark.  The photo emusion when exposed to light becomes permanent in the screen, so when you expose it with a transparency, all the black parts are left un-exposed and can be washed out leaving you with just screen and no emulsion in those areas.  It would save time and hassle to use photoemulsion.  However I had some problems when washing out my screen.  The person who had put emulsion on my screen had did it very uneavenly and it had dripped down so I areas that were thickly covered with emulsion right next to areas that only had a little, so when I was washing out my screen trying to wash out the thick areas, some of the thin ones got washed away with it messing up my image a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanching
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006 11:13:50 PM »

cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006 06:43:14 PM »

In relation to stenciling with contact paper I've found that you do need to buy the more expensive brands, they're thicker and stick better. If possible its best to get the one specifically made for sticking on shelves and such because they are even tougher and adhere better (especially if silkscreening, there's less chance of airbubbles)

BTW I think those shirts look awesome, especially the resevoir dogs one and the celtic band logo I think what you call imperfections actually make them look better, good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that the hokey pokey is what it's all about.

Post a project on every completed project board on craftster: 30/39
Al-most-there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg3997110#msg3997110
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Essential Summer Beauty Products
Summer And Spring Style Trends 2013
Rules Of Thumb For Eyebrow Shaping
Swimwear Slimming Secrets
Affordable Style Staples For The Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...