A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,362
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone speak or read French?  (Read 670 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AngiR
« on: June 12, 2006 07:19:24 PM »

Or at least know how to read a French pattern? I have found my French is very school book, rusty, and not totally suited for patterns.  But here is the sob story.
A friend of mine fell in love with a Phildar pattern from one of their magazines. And I must admit, it is a very pretty scarf.  So I figured I would be able to puzzle it out, or at least ask one of the interns we have from France.  Wouldn't you know, none of them crochet.  Tongue
Any way, the scarf looks like a series of shell type motifs that run one into another.
I can get the first motif, but am running into a bit of trouble working the second one. I think I'm reading it correctly, but maybe not.  And it's my luck that the first two motifs are not visible in the picuture: http://www.phildar.fr/catalogues/catalogue-interactif.aspx.  (It's catalog #440, page 17)
So, I'm hoping someone here can help me translate what it is that I'm trying to do.
I can get about 80% of it, but it's the 20% that is being a real bugger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006 05:41:17 AM »

I have read that Miss.kitty4 speaks French - and is learning to crochet.. I am not sure if she would be able to help you or not since she is new - and I can't speak for her either - but I did read she is French.
Have you checked the city guide on the main forum page - there is a section for Europe and a subsection for France.  Maybe someone there could help you with the translation?

Have you purchased the pattern or is it online?  I didn't see a pattern, just the picture so I assume that it is for sale.

It does look like the motifs are connected in the second and last rows. I am not sure if that makes any sense - and it looks like the 2nd motif is short a few stitches on that second row where it connects.  The picture did show the first motif I guess - I was able to zoom it and I think I know how it connects but am not 100% sure.  did it have a chart or written pattern?  If it is a chart I can help - they're pretty universal.  I have been charting myself like nuts the last few days working off some Japanese patterns... always fun when you can't read the fine print!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006 09:18:03 AM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
tinkerbellstar

Dumbles and Voldy love to shimmy!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006 08:59:55 AM »

Or at least know how to read a French pattern? I have found my French is very school book, rusty, and not totally suited for patterns.  But here is the sob story.
A friend of mine fell in love with a Phildar pattern from one of their magazines. And I must admit, it is a very pretty scarf.  So I figured I would be able to puzzle it out, or at least ask one of the interns we have from France.  Wouldn't you know, none of them crochet.  Tongue
Any way, the scarf looks like a series of shell type motifs that run one into another.
I can get the first motif, but am running into a bit of trouble working the second one. I think I'm reading it correctly, but maybe not.  And it's my luck that the first two motifs are not visible in the picuture: http://www.phildar.fr/catalogues/catalogue-interactif.aspx.  (It's catalog #440, page 17)
So, I'm hoping someone here can help me translate what it is that I'm trying to do.
I can get about 80% of it, but it's the 20% that is being a real bugger.

I studied French for a while in high school and took it for AS Level (weird English qualification!) so I might be able to translate it...
If you want me to try and look at it could you send me a pm with that bit of the pattern in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kerry Berry
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006 08:37:20 PM »

French major here.  I primarily knit and I know most of the French knitting terms, but unfortunately I'm not so familiar with crochet terms in French.  (So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not particularly helpful.  Heh.)  Here is a link to knitting and crochet terms translated into 4 other languages.  This site has a little translation tool thingy.  You probably won't be able to translate from French to English due to abbreviations, but if you try to translate a bunch of English crochet terms, you might recognize the abbreviations.  Just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hyena
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006 09:58:43 PM »

I am french and I live in america since 3 years so I am fluent. And I am experimented crocheter! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006 04:06:40 AM »

I am loving that translation page!  I wish it had Japanese though - the charts are usually enough for me to figure out but there are a few "phrases"  that I just don't understand so I know I am missing something in the lack of translation.  I am glad that I am experienced enough to know what things should probably be doing at what phase in the game, you know?

Great links.

I am so glad this group here is so diverse.  Even this old dog has learned new tricks here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
AngiR
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006 09:18:00 AM »

I wanted to say thank you to everybody!!!   Grin
Between the links, help that was offered, pestering the intern, and trial and error, I finally got it figured out.
So, here is the beginning using KnitPicks DYO sock yarn, dyed using Kool-Aid (Strawberry, Green Apple, Mango).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind the Books with Marlene Wallach
Meet Author Ru Freeman
Ian Irvine Talks About The Last Albatross
Doug Stanton Talks About Horse Soldiers
Linda Mintle Talks About Press Pause Before You Eat
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...