A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,188
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Melted beads = stain glass-esque lamp shade  (Read 79995 times)
Tags for this thread: lamp , tutorial , melted_bead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2006 06:28:56 PM »

crafty- whats your sisters name on here?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
jMi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006 06:31:28 PM »

lol Jean, that's the same kind of shade mine has, but the base is the same as yours.

Evil $20 creations!  hehe... Smiley

I have one in my craft room that has a rose patterned shade, it's not that bad, but it could still use some love.

Luckily I use only 1-- I used to have a few, but my apartment has overhead lighting/ceiling fans in all rooms... except my bedroom Sad My bedroom is the only one with the ugly lamp.

I think you've inspired me to make my mom a lampshade though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006 06:43:21 PM »

I love all the melting you have going on here.  makes me want to make some more cd bowls since I have no beads!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2006 06:47:30 PM »

O.K., so I looked at the tutorial on hgtv and yours are sooo much better.  Theirs looks all bumpy and lumpy, maybe that was what they were going for, I don't know, but yours are definately better.

Oh, thanks!! Smiley  I think his look like that 'cause he use strands of beads...maybe?  I like the loose beads though, it's easier to design & place the colors.  Plus I'm in Ohio & don't have access to all those Mardi Gras beads he has!  hehe... I am hunting Ebay for a mondo stash of pony beads right now though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2006 06:48:34 PM »

I love all the melting you have going on here.  makes me want to make some more cd bowls since I have no beads!

I've never made those... they're on my list of things to do ... eventually.  It keeps growing though, I don't think I'll ever get to the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
regansbox
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2006 06:19:16 AM »

Dang. This is an amazingly cool project. But it just cost me $60, and I didn't even get a lampshade out of it! Wink

I tracked from the Crafters Coast to Coast episode to the guy's page who does it, and he makes these great messenger bags with recycled FEMA tarps. Gotta love that. Supporting the hurricane victims by buying cool crafts. Anyhow, if anybody else wants one, they're for sale on the New Orleans Craft Mafia's site: http://www.neworleanscraftmafia.com/shop/index.html.

And I am SO Making one of those lampshades. After I move to my new place. Right now I'm scared I'd break it while moving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2006 06:32:45 AM »

That's so awesome regansbox!  I totally should plug his/their page too... 'cause there's lots of goods on there.  It's linked through the HGTV page, but here's a link as well http://www.letsgetup.com/

I have to work today Sad  (since I spent yesterday goofin' off & crafty...hehe...) But I hope to be done with work by the afternoon, to go shopping for beads & play around with some new ideas.  I had a dream about a shade (is that sad or what?) that I drew out when I woke up, so it wouldn't fade away...and I'm dying to try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peardream
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2006 06:46:27 AM »

That's so awesome regansbox!  I totally should plug his/their page too... 'cause there's lots of goods on there.  It's linked through the HGTV page, but here's a link as well http://www.letsgetup.com/

I have to work today Sad  (since I spent yesterday goofin' off & crafty...hehe...) But I hope to be done with work by the afternoon, to go shopping for beads & play around with some new ideas.  I had a dream about a shade (is that sad or what?) that I drew out when I woke up, so it wouldn't fade away...and I'm dying to try it.

That is so hilarious that you dreamed about a lampshade.  I went to sleep thinking about my lampshade design that I plan on making within the next few days.  I'll post it whenever I get it done. 
Is the lampshade fragile feeling after it's cooled?
Do you think those silicone oven mits would melt on the plastic?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2006 07:30:45 AM »

That is so hilarious that you dreamed about a lampshade.  I went to sleep thinking about my lampshade design that I plan on making within the next few days.  I'll post it whenever I get it done. 
Is the lampshade fragile feeling after it's cooled?

It's a sign of addiction I think! Wink

It's not fragile at all, but I think it depends on how tight you pack the beads in your design, the type of beads, and how long you let them melt.  The longer you let them melt, the more they lose their "lattice" effect in the pan.  Since these were pony beads, even though I let them melt basically flat as they could (the yellow & white did, at least), they still kept a pretty thick consistency.  The red didn't melt as much, so there are some spots that have lil holes where the light shines through, but overall, it's pretty tough.  I could toss it on the ground & it wouldn't break... Smiley  If I stomped on it, it would break.  (laugh!)

I took some more pix Smiley

I owed yas pix of the fixture ring thingie.  I keep the bulb from actually touching the shade.  No problems with it melting or getting too hot (as of yet! woot!)

Here's one to show a general thickness.  It varies all over, but it looks generally one $0.25 to two $0.25s thick.  Smiley  So translate that into pony bead hardness, it's pretty sturdy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2006 07:34:37 AM »

Oh!  I forgot to answer... I'm not sure?  Huh  I've never used or had those.  Mine are just the good old-fashioned cloth type.  The plastic is pretty toasty & then I had those metal bead strands accidently tucked in there as well, so I'd be afraid of mixing it with silicone gloves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Retro Hairstyles
Wedding Hair Inspiration: Hollywood Curls
Ponytails of Summer: Twist and Turn
Ponytails of Summer: Fishtail Ponytail
How to Get an Undone Updo
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...