A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Melted beads = stain glass-esque lamp shade  (Read 70479 times)
Tags for this thread: melted_beads , lamp , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MartiniMonsters
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2006 09:53:43 AM »

I'm definitely going to do this, as soon as I acquire enough beads. It will probably make the living room a lot darker, but I don't care. My only hope is that mine will turn out at least half as good as yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2006 09:58:51 AM »

I'm definitely going to do this, as soon as I acquire enough beads. It will probably make the living room a lot darker, but I don't care. My only hope is that mine will turn out at least half as good as yours.

It did take a chunk o' beads!

That's so sweet of ya!  Smiley  I finally got to see it in real darkness last night... it made the walls red hued!  Still quite a bit of light because the top is open though.  I'll take a pic of a room tonight if I remember.  I'm such a photo junkie... in case ya guys couldn't already tell. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
retroeva

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2006 02:46:04 PM »

I went to hobby lobby today (all their pony beads are HALF OFF this week) and stocked up. I cant seem to find a pattern that I like though Sad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2006 03:01:12 PM »

I went to hobby lobby today (all their pony beads are HALF OFF this week) and stocked up. I cant seem to find a pattern that I like though Sad.

WHAT!!  I was just there the other day... dabnabbit!

Just make up a pattern.. I did about 4 before I said, Okay, this is taking too long... lol...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2006 11:58:57 AM »

So......I have been lurking this thread because I think it is way cool but since my mom is a stained glass artist I figured if I made a faux stained glass lampshade upon sight of it, she would freeze dead in her tracks and accuse me of heresay!   Wink

Sooooooooooo today I ran into Joann's at lunch to get googly eyes and froze dead in my tracks in front of the pony beads! There they were soooo many of them in so many colors and I have an unused 40% off coupon about to expire!!

So now I'm thinking this would be a good project for my office lamps or maybe for the guest room. But basically......I'm sucked in.....sucked into another crafting project! But not until I finish a bunch of stuff that I HAVE to get done this weekend!

One question though......does light shine through the opaque aka the less sparkly beads?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006 12:16:42 PM by PinkyK » THIS ROCKS   Logged

peardream
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2006 12:14:39 PM »

I was out bead "eyeing" yesterday too.  I wasn't sure how many bags to buy though?  I know it probably takes a lot, but does anyone have an estimate?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2006 12:40:51 PM »

So......I have been lurking this thread because I think it is way cool but since my mom is a stained glass artist I figured if I made a faux stained glass lampshade upon sight of it, she would freeze dead in her tracks and accuse me of heresay!   Wink

Sooooooooooo today I ran into Joann's at lunch to get googly eyes and froze dead in my tracks in front of the pony beads! There they were soooo many of them in so many colors and I have an unused 40% off coupon about to expire!!

So now I'm thinking this would be a good project for my office lamps or maybe for the guest room. But basically......I'm sucked in.....sucked into another crafting project! But not until I finish a bunch of stuff that I HAVE to get done this weekend!

One question though......does light shine through the opaque aka the less sparkly beads?

Your family is so artistic and crafty... will your mom adopt me?  Maybe some of it will rub off on me & I'll be in crafty heaven!

Considering that your my swap partner right now, it's okay to be sucked in... hehe!  Smiley

The light does shine through, but not nearly as much.  It's also dependant upon how long you let the beads melt.  If you don't let them melt as long as I did, you can actually leave gaps where no beads are at all, thus more light.  Smiley  I liked them super melted though, because I thought it gave the illusion of stained glass more so than if it was lattice-y.  Here's probably the best shot where you can see the comparison of light vs. less light/opaque vs. solid beads.

Also, if you use the smaller pony beads & the piece was thinner, I'm sure it would shine more.  Personally.. I love, love, love the transparent red beads.  I'll definitely being buying more of those for the next projects (which have compiled a freaking LIST now, eek!).  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010 08:47:44 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2006 12:52:02 PM »

I was out bead "eyeing" yesterday too.  I wasn't sure how many bags to buy though?  I know it probably takes a lot, but does anyone have an estimate?

Ohh... Sad  I knew someone would ask this!  It was hard to keep track 'cause I was just tossing colors around & I used different sizes with the sparkly & dark beads.  I'm supposed to be working (I'm using that term very loosely here, lol) right now... but you are more than welcome to grab this MONDO big image of the pre-baked tray and either count or just do a guesstimate by dividing it into pie sectors.  Smiley  Forewarning.. the image is in it's native size & is 29.833 x 26.819"!  Wink  It's just like bean counting!!

PS the pan I used is a classic, round pizza pan. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peardream
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2006 01:02:56 PM »

You are awesome! Such great responses.  I think you are the Craftster that I have harassed the most so far...sorry!
I am working also (loosely- as well)....if I didn't have access to Craftster at work, I don't know how I'd get through the day...ugh...

Thanks for all of your help though, Sweets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2006 01:06:57 PM »

Thanks so much.  Smiley  That makes me feel all warm & glittery inside!  I'm glad I can help...plus it's spawning all this crazy creativity from everyone and I love to see everyone's variations and crazy ideas.

I am about half an hour away from saying screw this & going bead shopping!  LOL  I can't help it!  It's been 2 days and I still haven't been able to go!  It's breaking me down...one bead at a time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Egg Bhurjee
How to Prepare a Cucumber Maki
How to Prepare a Sumosan Roll
How to Make the Perfect Potato and Aubergine Bhaji
How to Savour A Delicious Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...