A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Melted beads = stain glass-esque lamp shade  (Read 73540 times)
Tags for this thread: lamp , tutorial , melted_bead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JCDillustration
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2007 09:06:05 PM »

Melted beads are taking over Craftster!

They ARE taking over!  I, for one, am addicted.  Hehe.. I don't know if the stained glass-like appearance, or just the actual productive nature of getting to melt stuff?  tee hee!

Maybe the fumes are addictive! Grin (is there a spaced-out smiley??)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007 09:12:23 PM by JCDillustration » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2007 09:07:51 PM »

Cheesy

I think it should be a smiley with pretty colors floating all around him. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
space.case.sara
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2008 08:37:40 PM »

oh my goodness, I really want to try this!! but i have a few questions!!!

If I were to use my mother's oven....would she ever be able to use it again without having her cakes taste like pony beads? lol

Also, when you formed the lampshade, did you touch the melted beads directly with your oven mitts? or did you kinda move the tin foil around..somehow...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2008 08:41:16 PM »

If I were to use my mother's oven....would she ever be able to use it again without having her cakes taste like pony beads? lol

Also, when you formed the lampshade, did you touch the melted beads directly with your oven mitts? or did you kinda move the tin foil around..somehow...

Yes, she can use her oven again. Cheesy  Be VERY careful not to spill any beads in there, though!  I never have, but I don't think she would enjoy melted beads stuck to the oven, ha!

The smell goes away soon after the baking is done (please don't have animals or children near the fumes AND have much much much ventilation for yourself).

I have a spare pair of oven mitts I use for plastic melting and I use them directly on the hot plastic/foil.  Sometimes I use an old dishtowel to help squish them down, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

space.case.sara
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2008 05:00:39 PM »

oh okay...but then i was thinking...since i have a bird (they are very sensitive to fumes) i was thinking maybe i could do it in the Bar-B-Q??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2008 07:28:02 AM »

Yes, she can use her oven again. Cheesy  Be VERY careful not to spill any beads in there, though!  I never have, but I don't think she would enjoy melted beads stuck to the oven, ha!

The smell goes away soon after the baking is done (please don't have animals or children near the fumes AND have much much much ventilation for yourself).

I have a spare pair of oven mitts I use for plastic melting and I use them directly on the hot plastic/foil.  Sometimes I use an old dishtowel to help squish them down, too.

We have had beads on the oven. sigh We took out the grill/shelf, scrubbed it, ran the self cleaner 3 times, called in a repair man and we are back in the bead business.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2008 07:29:21 AM »

Oh my goodness!  What happened there?  I can't even fathom what was happening! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kappy

Shaper of glass and other mediums...

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2008 12:12:40 PM »

Just an FYI, the temperature sensor in the oven stopped working correctly. The sensor was sealed in metal, and it is unlikely that melting caused the part to fail.

As for what happened, I was attempting a basket weave bowl and set the oven on Broil. I underestimated how fast the plastic would melt, and the whole piece came apart. Once the oven cooled, the plastic came up rather easily.

The remains of the "would be" bowl ended up being a lamp for the Melted Swap.

Kappy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out PinkyK's Etsy Shop AllenKaperakDesigns

http://www.AllenKaperakDesigns.etsy.com
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2008 12:14:55 PM »

Ahh!  I see it now!!  That mistake was just meant to be because the lamp turned out wonderful from the remains.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jeane

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2008 03:47:32 PM »

oh okay...but then i was thinking...since i have a bird (they are very sensitive to fumes) i was thinking maybe i could do it in the Bar-B-Q??

I have a bird too and maybe I am too sensitive to her sensitivity but I don't even use aerosol cans. That being said I read that you can make large clay items in the stove using cooking bags, maybe that would work with these? Slide a base in the bag, then your bowl, then the rest of the stuff then tie it up!

The directions for the clay say to let the items cool completely before you open the bag. I would probably just open it outside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to get together with others in the area and have a day of crafting while emptying that "extra" (is there such a thing?) supplies! If interested PM me!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bakery Creates Croissant-Bagel Hybrid
How Much Do You Really Know About Girl Scout Cookies?
Does It Work?: Hostess Twinkie Maker
Brownies Get an Easy and Enticing Upgrade
KD101: Bread Pudding with Vanilla Butter Sauce Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...