A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
397 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my swee-tee-shirt and one old silk print  (Read 9038 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sami
« on: July 26, 2004 11:39:43 PM »

Let's start my "career" on craftster with these Smiley

I did the t-shirt with a iron-on-transfer. Turned out pretty well. Funny thing is though, that the iron-on stays usually sort-of vinyl like but this time it sort of disappeared Smiley and the feel is soft. You're supposed to use 100% cotton t-shirt (according to the instructions) but this wasn't so I wonder if that had anything to do with the feel. Any ideas on that one?

(You can find the b/w version here : http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v363/lurkki/teemania/susiraja_mv.jpg)
The silk print is made for a school excursion, little pigs in a bus and big bad wolf puffing out the excursion name Smiley I've designed few of these for my university guild. This one turned also out pretty well. Even though the color choices werent that succesfull.. But the backing is safety color (we had loads of it from a project) and the printing color itself is a paste with uv-pigment mixed with glow-in-the-dark pigment Cheesy Have to set up some pictures of it in the dark (alas my digicam doesn't manage so well in the dark :/ )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
manderz
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004 08:08:22 AM »

distracted, i looove them! The one T on the top is great! Are you willing to share the brand of iron on transfers you use? I like to use them but lately i have had a problem with cracking and peeling. Not sure if its the fabric, or brand of transfers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sami
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004 08:41:40 AM »

The brand in question is DataLine. Not sure how common it is, haven't seen these lately Undecided

lately i have had a problem with cracking and peeling. Not sure if its the fabric, or brand of transfers.

I think atleast these things affect the result and you might want to try out:
- Pressure applied when ironing and the material it's ironed on. (I've tried to use hard surfaces and apply as much pressure as I weigh Smiley )
- how long you iron it (I think the longer the better, but can 'burn' up the transfer-material to a yellow shade.)
- fabric material (I ought to check this, but imho polyester that's "forbidden" material, acted much better and didn't leave a plastic feel)

And I guess if the transfer paper is _old_, it will deteriorate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
manderz
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004 09:10:32 AM »

thanks for your help! I'll let you know how it works out! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puddinwuddin
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004 10:07:55 AM »

I just got into doing stencils, but i guess i should move on to transfers...those are adorable...question though> can you use any image then print on transfer paper?? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sami
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004 10:40:10 AM »

puddinwuddin: Well basically anything you can print on paper you can use on transfer paper Smiley Stencils have so much opportunities too, not to mention using both stencils and transfers (especially when you need white in your image)! First an contour/outline/backdrop with stencils and then an transfer over that..

Here's an example where I should've used stencil or something under the transfer / chococat's eyes:

It might be worth a while to learn to use some image manipulation/drawing software (photoshop, paint shop pro etc) for resizing / cropping / so on images. It helps a lot if you need only a part of existing picture or the original is small. Lately I've started redrawing low quality pictures as vector images (then you can resize it all you want and there's mostly no harsh edges). I just finished redrawing totoro (that character in Tonari no Totoro) for a bag idea. Can't wait to get it done Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
smokingunkitty

I craft therefore I am.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004 09:26:34 AM »

I have been using iron-on transfers for awhile, and have never found a good way to wash them. Everytime they crack, or peel, or some other annoying thing.
 Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheriffkarli
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004 02:06:28 PM »

wow i love them! i can tell you're a sanrio fan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
sami
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004 04:05:53 AM »

I have been using iron-on transfers for awhile, and have never found a good way to wash them. Everytime they crack, or peel, or some other annoying thing.
 Any suggestions?

Well, you might want to try the same things advised to manderz. Wish I had more time to try out with different fabrics and heat-settings :/
And as usual, washing stuff inside out helps preserve the image longer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sami
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004 05:07:20 AM »

Oh, another point I forgot! Sad

Afterwards when you have your transfer done, you can use some absorbent material (paper or the back of the transfer-paper for example) to get that extra material off. Thus you get a nicer hand/touch and it'll last longer (and not crack!).

I used this time a big brown envelope, put it under the t-shirt and against the transfer-image, then ironed from "behind" the image with max temperature. After a while of ironing (with pressure applied) that extra material has sticked to the envelope. Now while it's still warm (read:hot) peel off the absorber paper (the paper will most of the time stick to the t-shirt/image if it's not hot enough) and voila!

Here's a crappy ascii presentation of the setup Smiley

\....<===>_
 |__________7   iron
----------------------------------          <- t-shirt
                         <- transfer image
+++++++++++++++              <- absorbing material
=============               <- ironing board
----------------------------------          <- t-shirt
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Care For Leather Shoes
Akademiks Clothing Promo
Fall-Winter Fashion Tips from Lady Dutch
Who Wore It Best? Angelina or Christina Aguilera?
Lady Gaga Dresses… Normal! And Shows Off New Tattoo
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...