A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,535
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bowl o' melted beads :)  (Read 54422 times)
Tags for this thread: melted_bead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

feltlikeforever

love, nicole t.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007 06:00:38 PM »

oooh wow, i absolutely LOVE everything you've made! (this is also the first comment i've ever posted, because i finally joined! horrah for you!) who knew melting something could turn out so beautiful! my boyfriend's cousin who is 9 made me a bowl with melted red/magenta &green beads, from a distance, i thought it was expensive stained glass!

i noticed that you said it gets fume-y from the melting plastic. oh boy, i can just imagine how stanky that would get.. did you just open a lot of windows &turn on some fans? also, did you end up with any chucks of plastic in your bowls/pans or burn yourself on the plastic? i have a feeling i might accidently do one of the two..  Undecided haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2007 07:21:31 PM »

Woohooo... thanks for joining! Smiley

Yes, lots of vents, fans, windows...anything you have the ability to open would be great! Smiley  I put a box fan in our back door, open both of the closest windows to the kitchen and put our microwave hood on "turbo fan."

No chunks of plastic stick to the metal bowls at all.  As the beads cool, they naturally "pop" from the metal.  You can actually hear them snap, crack & pop a bit... Smiley  You can line your bowls, pans, etc. with foil, but if the foil is creased AT ALL, the beads will melt and seap into those creases and you'll have to peel it out - grr.

I haven't burnt myself (yet Wink, but I suppose it would depend on the project.  The projects where I melt on a cookie sheet lined with foil and then quickly transfer them to a mold directly from the oven are definitely more risky than just lining a bowl with beads. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dropscone
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2007 07:50:25 AM »

I couldn't see that this had been asked already...

I really love the idea of this technique, all those bowls look beautiful and gawd knows I have a zillion plastic beads lying around that I had no idea until now what to do with, but...

Doesn't it make things you cook in the oven afterwards taste of plastic??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007 08:16:36 AM »

I don't cook in any of the pans that I've used unless I've lined them in foil... so, nope! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mareyc
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007 09:58:27 AM »

Oh, what a good idea is this melted beads-thing! I had to search in the whole village to find some plastic beads (didn't know for sure what mardi gras pearls were... we in the Netherlands don't know the mardi gras-thing...) And I plunged in the deep with my beads, and an oven in degrees celcius... But my bowl is lovely! My youngest daughter is baking hers now, and my eldest daughter is waiting for the bowl to be empty... I sent some pictures to my friends, so I hope they will become addicted to bead melting! Thanks for the addicting ideas!!!

Anna (the Netherlands)

Here is a link to my project:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m83/anna_066/PC180050.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2007 10:02:30 AM »

Oh, wow!  I realllly like what you've created!

At first I thought, "citrus burst!" then I thought of fall. Smiley  Thanks so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mareyc
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007 10:09:52 AM »

I had to promiss my daughters that I did NOT use the pink ones, the purple ones, the lila ones, the green ones etc. etc...  Undecided So what was left were the yellow, orange and the transparent ones...  Cry But I am still very happy with my first bowl... And I think I will call it my citrusburstbowl  Cheesy

greetings from the Netherlands

Anna
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2007 10:12:26 AM »

Ha!  Your daughters are funny. Cheesy

I really like the gold edging and how the center is sporadic...it's just a lovely design all over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
R3n331
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2007 10:23:32 AM »

Hey now thats Hot, I Love it and it is so colorful,Wonderful Job on it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainbowsmurfet
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2007 06:41:28 AM »

So... question...  I've been following a couple of threads and the torch idea was thrown around...  did anyone ever follow-up on the torch?  My thought was to do this outside, put the beads in the bowl/pan, and torch away with all the fumes floating away into the air instead of in my house. 

Also, I just wanted to say they are BEAUTIFUL and you brightened my day with thoughts of this! 

And I think sead beads are usually glass, no?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Startup Profile: Cannon.Fm App Demo
AOL Artists: Summer Series
May 31st: Rod Save The Queen
Sweetness and Art: Short Film
May 7th: Sympathy For Xenu
Latest Blog Articles
The Zombie Trend: Now... Sheep!
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...