A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Honeymoon Cami Frustration  (Read 453 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ultraviolet
« on: June 11, 2006 05:44:57 PM »

After a few years of wanting to make this, being unable to decide on a yarn, and generally waffling over the concept of knitting summerwear, I finally started making this. I got a TON done on it this weekend (was trying to catch up on my Netflix Smiley ) but I've just gotten to the part where you start dividing for the left/right and front/back and I'm finding what I'm pretty certain are mistakes in the pattern.

1. I'm making the size 34. Just before the "Shape V Neck and Back" I had 170 stitches, just like the pattern says. Then I'm instructed to K43, pm, k 85, pm, k43. 43 + 43 + 85 = 171. Ok fine - I can deal with this (though I'm REALLY annoyed that this silly math mistake was not corrected in the pattern) Anyhow.

2. I've started the decreases for the v neck and back. The pattern wasn't clear as to which (L or R) decreases to use, so I just tried to stay consistant with the rest of the pattern. I was using the Rdec at the beginning of the row, and the Ldec at the end. Under "Right Side" there's a part where the pattern DOES specifiy, and it lists a Ldec at the beginning of the row. That doesn't sound right....so I hold up my work and notice that the edges look a little decorative. After consulting with Vogue Knitting, I realize that what she calls a Rdec - an ssk - is a LEFT decrease. Conversely, the Ldec is a RIGHT slanting decrease.

Gah! I've seen so many awesome looking finished Honeymoon Camis and nobody mentioned these errors, at least not that I could find. Did anyone else notice these? Did you use the decreases the way the pattern says, and does it look ok when you're done? I don't really want to frog this, but I also want it to come out looking nice.

Grr.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
sararosa
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006 06:03:53 PM »

I just finished one, and I followed the decrease instructions in the pattern. I did notice that what she calls left decrease actually seemed like a right-slanting decrease to me, but I decided to just have faith...I am still wary of altering patterns, and I hadn't heard about any problems, and I'm usually wrong anyway. It worked out fine, it made a nice-looking edge around the neckline.

As for the stitch count, I made a different size and didn't have any trouble with that. You could send an email to knitty and they may correct it.

Good luck finishing up your project, I hope you're happy with it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006 06:33:21 PM »

Thanks, Sararosa! My concern was mostly how the edging would look around the neckline because I haven't seen any close-up shots. But if you say it looks nice, I'll take your word for it.

I think the issue with the number of stitches was only for my size - I did the math on the other sizes and it came out right. Go figure.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
ultraviolet
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006 07:16:21 AM »

It worked out fine, it made a nice-looking edge around the neckline.

So, when you divide the front and back of the right side, she says to do a Left decrease at the beginning of the row - if I do that, it will look different than the decreases I have been doing. Should I do a Left decrease, or stick with the right decreases I've been doing?

What did other people use for decreases around the neckline and armholes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sararosa
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006 02:45:59 PM »

ultraviolet, here's a close-up of the edging along the neckline.

the yarn makes it hard to see the stitches (a good thing for me!) but you can sort of see how the decreases slant towards the edge, rather than going the same direction as the edge slant. I like the look of this, and I think it might help prevent curling, but you could probably do your decreases the other way if you want, so long as you're consistent.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010 10:11:15 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006 05:30:26 PM »

Hmm, on mine the edging shows up on both the neckline and under the armhole. I can't decide what to do. I may just need to think about this for a while. I wish I just knew how it was originally done because I really like the overall effect but can't see how the edges look up close.

Thanks for the pic - this is the ONLY close up I've seen of this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Aryn Kyle
Happy For No Reason Book Trailer
Alan Katz Reveals His Previous Occupation
Douglas Florian Reads from Dinothesaurus
Jennifer Baszile Reveals Who She Admires Most
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...