A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: replacing a heel flap with a shortrow heel  (Read 713 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fozziebear54
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006 09:43:08 PM »

The markers are there so you know exactly when you're supposed to pick up the wraps from the short rows. It's probably a lot easier than just eyeballing it (which is what I do).

Anyway. What you do with the short rows once you get to the "reverse short-row shaping" bit is this. You have a bunch of wrapped stitches on the left, a bunch of wrapped stitches on the right, and live stitches in the middle. You knit across the live stitches until you reach the first wrapped stitch. You pick up the wrap on that stitch and knit it together with the stitch itself. Then you wrap the next stitch like you did before, and put it back onto the left needle (this stitch now has two wraps around it). Now you have one more stitch that is "live" in the middle. You purl across those live stitches until you hit the first wrapped stitch. Pick up the wrap and purl it together with the stitch. Wrap the next stitch and put it back on the left needles (two wraps!). You now have two more live stitches in the middle than you originally did. Knit across those stitches until you come to the first wrapped stitch. Pick up both wraps and knit them together with the stitch. Wrap the next stitch and put it back on the left needle. Continue in the same fashion. Every time you pick up wraps and knit them with the stitch, you add one more stitch to the middle "live" stitches, and eventually you will have all of your stitches live again.

That looks very wordy to me, so if you read it and get confused (or simply don't feel like reading it), go to Knitting Help's advanced technique page and watch the video for short rows. That might be VERY helpful. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sheep_need_sweaters2

Dancin' with my Gnomies

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006 11:05:00 AM »

actually, that helps me more than the book did. I'm better at eyeballing than with markers cause they always seem to throw me off. Thankyou soo much, atleast I know I'm not doing it wrong, I was going to be bummed if I had to rip it all out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arthur: Ford?
Ford: Yeah?
Arthur: I think I'm a sofa...
Ford: [pause] I know how you feel...
Fozziebear54
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006 12:18:47 PM »

You're welcome! I'm glad you're doing it right. Ripping out short rows is a horribly annoying process. I designed a pair of fair isle socks a few months ago, and when I was knitting up the first one, I kept screwing up the heel. I redid it something like six or seven times before just giving up on it and moving on, and each time I had to rip out the whole thing. All that work for nothing! Doing it right is a much more pleasant experience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose This Right Hair Dryer
How to Choose the Right Conditioner
How to Choose the Right Blow Drying Brush
How to Find a Parting
How to Choose the Right Styling Products
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...