A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,342
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FINALLY MY JOLLY ROGER IS FINISHED!!! **picture heavy**  (Read 22366 times)
Tags for this thread: gifts_for_teens  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dreadful penny
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006 06:49:46 AM »

red_pen,

Grin You are my hero for the day! Grin

That is truly one of the coolest crochet jobs I have ever seen, and great work on the charts! I love the idea of a skull profile hood, and I'm looking forward to pix however you decide to finish it off
THIS ROCKS   Logged
red_pen
crochet pirate

1 choking victim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006 04:51:07 PM »

crafty_dame
i'm not using the suggested yarn cause at my yarn store the sweater would have been 50 bucks i'm using lionbrand woolease worsted and i am carrying the yarn over but i'm also not crocheting over the extra yarn it's not stiff at all i think it's just perfect

craftydeb
how i map out a picture is, in photoshop you have a layer with the picture you want to map and then on top of that a crochet graphchart which i can load up here if you want otherwise you can look on google pretty easily then you just fill in the squares where the image is, and i only fill in squares that are mostly full. you do get a lot of distortion and you can't do really hard stuff and good detail you need a million stitchs....does that make any sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- it's all about having a clever signature

Pirate Crochet!
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006 04:54:41 PM »

That does make sense to me - how many stitches across can you go?  For afghans I would love to get a good 150 across by about 300 tall... normal afghan size, you know... I don't know if it would do that comfortably or not...
I am going to have to have him play with it.  I have a few pics drawn up that I would start off with...
thanks for the info.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006 05:16:08 PM »

thanks red_pen!

i didn't mean stiff due to the yarn, but more due to the crochet stitches. everyone seems to say that crocheted sweaters don't hang as nicely as knit sweaters because they are so much more... um, i guess "firm" is the word i want?

i was just thinking of the signle crocheted squares i'm doing right now, and they are pretty firm. i was wondering if the hdc instead of sc made that much of a difference. you probably won't know till the sweater is done anyway, so no worries!

i wonder if i can get lionbrand woolease here? i'm pretty sure i've seen something woolease, maybe not lionbrand. it's annoying, lionbrand seems to be so popular in the states, lots of patterns ask for it, but the stores here don't carry it all. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006 05:24:07 PM »

craftydame - if you steam it after you are done, it softens it and gives it more hang or drape...
Some people wash and machine dry them after as well and it helps the yarn relax.

I am not a sweater maker - although I have made a pair of knitted kids pants(okay, machine knit.  I don't know how to hand knit) and all of my crocheted things never were wearables except for scarves and cuffs and whatnot... but that is my understanding on the crocheted sweater issue - steam or wash and it will relax. I hope that helps a bit
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
catchstars
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006 05:55:22 PM »

Your sweater and chart are entirely wonderful and very clever! Thank you for sharing the chart!  Kiss As a self proclaimed "Fat Kid" I think that I would love to make a sweater with ribs on it. Wink
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006 05:57:07 PM by catchstars » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006 06:27:39 AM »

That is gorgeous. I wasn't terribly interested in the jolly roger sweater, but now I am. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern too!

Also I know most of you probably know this, but for making a chart there is Knitpro at http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro.htm which is free and helps for making charts. I love it, and have used it often.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschkitty
Beading & forum addicted!

www.kitschkitty.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006 06:28:21 AM »

Wow that is very very cool! I really love it! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you love to chat about beading come join us at www.uk-beaders.co.uk/forum.htm
Find hundreds of UK based bead suppliers and more at www.uk-beaders.co.uk

Kitty's Unique Boutique
Custom creations designed to delight   www.kitschkitty.co.uk
pinkyrican
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006 11:35:10 AM »

Wow that sweater looks great, I am making the Jolly Roger for my husband... maybe I will do this one for myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006 11:49:01 AM »

ezri_b - you do realize that I am doing a happy dance right now?  I just did up the first picture - a dinosaur afghan for my youngest son.  I will be starting on that next - I do have a few must dos first - they are deadlined projects so they have to go first or I don't get paid!

Thank you so much!  I am hoping that this will be the perfect thing for me!  You would think that I would have heard of this - but noooooooo!  I am glad I got in on this string and asked the question!

Happy dance.. happy dance... doing the happy dance... I have sooo many things I want to make up now!  woooo hooooo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About "Gold Marilyn Monroe" by Andy Warhol
Learn About “The Dream” by Pablo Picasso
Learn About “Lullaby Spring” by Damien Hirst
How to Understand And Use The Art Color Wheel
How to Apply Red Venetian Plaster
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...